• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Balance as applicable to enneagram

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
In the most general overarching way possible, can someone describe to me how balance plays a part in the enneagram and what bringing balance to your enneagram achieves? What sort of physiological changes occur?

examples of balance: the 4 reaches equanimity in their own tiding emotions, the E6 finds security within themself, the enneagram 8 finds moderation, stuff like that.

I find my religion raises my spirit but I don't have a scientific word to describe what that is.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think integration probably has to do with it. Since our Enneagram type is the result of a certain fear that caused us to overcompensate for something we're very sensitive towards, as we move towards our integration point we may find more balance and less overcompensation.

For example, as 2 moves to 4 it becomes less self-sacrificial and more self-nurturing. As 5 moves to 8 it stops withdrawing from the world and observing it at a distance and starts engaging with it and becomes more self-confident. So as we integrate we overcompensate less and our exaggerated qualities become more healthy.

That's what I think anyway. :thinking:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
nevermind I think its what christianity refers to as the holy spirit. But I'm curious if science has a word for that. There is a sensation I get, a sense of fullness when I am completely loved by others. It is something I find specifically in church, or weddings hosted by christians. But I think there is a name for it in science because I can't explain it to atheists and agnostics without sounding like I'm a cultist.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nevermind I think its what christianity refers to as the holy spirit. But I'm curious if science has a word for that. There is a sensation I get, a sense of fullness when I am completely loved by others. It is something I find specifically in church, or weddings hosted by christians. But I think there is a name for it in science because I can't explain it to atheists and agnostics without sounding like I'm a cultist.

It's just called "religious experience"

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotheology

And btw sorry but you do sound like a religious cultist here talking about being 'completely loved' by others lol I could never feel this way

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is a similarity to that feeling, so i get what you mean, A. Spirituality, being 'in the Zone' at work or while doing something you love, and finding the right mindset(aka integrating) to navigate the obstacles life throws at you tend to all give you that amazing glow-like, safe and purpose-filled, peaceful state of mind.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
How Integration Leads to Balance

Three Value Dimensions:

I = Intrinsic (similar to introverted, as well as tamas, yin, and the id)
E = Extrinsic (similar to extroverted, as well rajas, yang, and the ego)
S = Systemic (similar to balance of introversion/extroversion, as well as saatva, balance of yin/yang, and the superego)​

Each center has its associated value dimension:

Gut = I
Heart = E
Head = S​

Each center has three manifestations of its center:

8IE
9II
1IS

2ES
3EE
4EI

5SI
6SS
7SE​

8IE lacks S, and integrates towards 2ES, thus picking up the S (systemic [superego]) dimension

Same goes for all other types (with a bit of extraness thrown in there for the "pure" types [9II, 3EE, 6SS])

1IS -> 7SE (lacked E [extrinsic; ego])
2ES -> 4EI (lacked I [intrinsic; id])
4EI -> 1IS (lacked S [systemic; superego])
5SI -> 8IE (lacked E [extrinsic; ego])
7SE -> 5SI (lacked I [intrinsic; id])

9II -> 3EE -> 6SS (lacked E and S)
3EE -> 6SS -> 9II (lacked S and I)
6SS -> 9II -> 3EE (lacked I and E)​

Thus each type attains balance thru integration.

By gaining the value dimension that its type (sans integration) lacks.

Yes, I am neo, and I do see the matrix. *bends reality and flies amongst the clouds*