• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] 5 + 3 = Hyper-Anxiety?

Alea_iacta_est

I'm wondering if its just me, or if this might be true to many that are 3s with 5 fixes or 5s with 3 fixes.

I experience social phobia in the form of sensitivity to rejection, particularly in the area of being seen as incompetent and useless. I think the cause of this may be from my core 3's fear of failure, which is intensified by the 5 fear of incompetence. There are stark contrasts between both types, one being that 3s are self-confident with a deeply self conscious side while 5s for the most part are self-conscious, so if one were to pair them together, would it create a sort of hyper-anxiety in embarrassing situations?

Here's what I'm thinking:
3: I want to be seen as successful when others are observing me do something.
5: (Self-consciousness)I don't want to be seen as useless in this matter. (Generates Anxiety)
3: Oh man, if I'm seen as useless, then I'm a failure. (Generates more anxiety due to the portent of shame and omen of 3's fear of failure)
5: If I'm a failure, then I'm completely vulnerable to the environment. (Generates even more anxiety due to succumbing to 5's fear of incompetence)
*Actual event happens badly*
3: I'm a failure.
5: I'm incompetent.

How it plays out with me directly:
3. I want to be seen as successful when others are observing me do something.
5: (Pessimism and Self-consciousness) I don't want to be seen as useless in this matter. (Generates Anxiety)
3: Oh man, if I'm seen as useless, then I'm a failure. (Generates more anxiety due to the portent of shame and omen of 3's fear of failure)
5: If I'm a failure, then I'm completely vulnerable to the environment. (Generates even more anxiety due to succumbing to 5's fear of incompetence, anxiety is overwhelming)
8: Shut the fuck up, you're just making it worse, just fucking do it.
3 + 5: But what if
8: Just fucking do it
*Event happens badly*
3: I'm a failure.
5: I'm incompetent.
8: The battle's over, but we still have to win the war, so just let it go and stay confident. (Triple suppression of emotions now, 5 attempts to suppress shame by rationalizing it, 8 attempts to suppress anxiety by maintaining self-confidence, 3 attempts to suppress 8's burning anger by reminding it that explosive anger will make us lose)

I need some Tritypes with 3 and 5 to respond.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just want to echo that my brother and dad both are 359 tritype and both struggle with very high anxiety.

Alea_iacta_est

Just want to echo that my brother and dad both are 359 tritype and both struggle with very high anxiety.

Maybe I am right then, I need some more opinions from other 3-5-8, 3-5-9, and 1-3-5 combos to be sure then.

This kind of anxiety sucks because it's uncontrollable and inevitable for the most part, there is no "calming down" stage until after it's over and the deed is done.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I am right then, I need some more opinions from other 3-5-8, 3-5-9, and 1-3-5 combos to be sure then.

This kind of anxiety sucks because it's uncontrollable and inevitable for the most part, there is no "calming down" stage until after it's over and the deed is done.

Alright you currently think I am 835 or 853 tritype right? Lol. anyway, no, I don't have this sort of anxiety.

If I'm being observed doing something *and* if I happen to focus on the fact that I'm being observed then I will get uncomfortably self-conscious, I'd rather not focus on that, it's a real PAIN IN THE ASS. It's just an uncomfortable feeling and I can even blunder with the task if it's the kind of task that can be affected by this (not necessarily). If I focus strongly enough on what I'm doing then I will manage to push it out of my mind. I don't feel explicit anxiety, just this feeling of being overly self-conscious. I don't have verbal manifestation of it either, no self-talk, it's just a visceral feeling. I don't always happen to think of how I'm being observed so it's not so bad overall.

If event happens badly, meh, I don't think anything then either. I either stay untouched or I get very angry/raging.

G

garbage

I sure did re-analyze my trifix, giving myself a 5w6 and 9w1 rather than 6w5 and 1w9. The difference is pretty much beans (swapping type and wing on the lower two fixes, which matter much much less than the main type), but at the moment that makes me either 359 or 361. So, screw it; I'm answering anyway.

I'd also recently thought about a potential interplay between 3 and 5. Perhaps it could manifest in a struggle between wanting to get oneself out there in the world and make an impact in order to feel worthwhile, but also feeling a compulsion to mentally prepare (via research, introspective analysis, etc.) to do so. Perhaps also, in other words, in a sense that expertise is the only way to stay competitive and to leave a mark. A dissonance, yet corroboration at the same time, between the two could create a sense of anxiety.

I recently had a long car trip with a colleague. We were discussing some pretty high-level stuff, and--I'm exaggerating quite a bit here--but a part of me was jealous of his ability to retain facts (a weakness of mine). That part of me further felt that, for me to have an impact at all, I must stay competitive in the world ("If you're not first, you're last"), and in so doing I must hone my own expertise, to know a subject inside and out. In reality, we taught each other quite a bit during that trip, but that slight twinge was still there.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright maybe I'm not 3-5-8 tritype so maybe that's why it doesn't apply to me, sorry

(Looks like I'm 2-7-8 or 4-7-8 actually)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wut, why does it doublepost at times

G

Glycerine

oh man. this relates. i feel a lot of pressure to be competent and end up stalling because of it.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I think I'm 953 or 935.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think there is a chronic fear of failure and rejection which leads to anxiety in how I approach certain tasks and events. Being a core e9, my coping mechanism is avoidance and this leads to more anxiety (e6 disintegration) however the desire to appear competent and adept is subconscious due to the e9 mechanism of suppression. In that sense, 953/935 are more prone to hiding and not attempting anything bound to reinforce those negative feelings.

It's one step away from stagnancy.

SalesmanPoet

I am a 853 ENTJ, which basically means I am your neighbourhood bully. I have always been blunt with my statements. Anxiety had been a problem for me when my situations weren't as good as it is now.
I considered the whole world as a massive battlefield that I have to conquer. But now that I have conquered it, I am like all 8s moving towards the enneagram two.
I guess that's when the hyper-anxiety all those who have a 5,3 or even 8 in their tritype. The 8 does move towards 5 when he is unhealthy.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My Anxiety levels are pretty low but I am carefully scaning almost everything in the search for problems, defects etc.

Hyperlallx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
583 here. I must say I kinda relate with what you say, but it's mostly an unconscious self-talk-- I don't pay attention to it. Sometimes like in the aftermath. I do relate a lot to the triple suppression, haha
I must say that it's also changed... I was more anxious before, now I'm more like "screw it, screw others, let's just do it".
What's your tritype order?

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
My dad is 351 and gets very anxious and tense. That's part of why he drinks so much.