• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Competency types tend to hate reactive types

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm noticing that core competency types tend to hate core reactive types. When faced with stress, I'm noticing that core competency types tend to remain very cool, calm, and collect. They tend to be calm and assertive when handling confrontation as well. Core reactive types tend to be just the opposite: they tend to go ballistic, they tend to be very manic, they test people, and they tend to be the types to scream at people when faced with a great deal of stress. I'm seeing that competency types hate this about reactive types, and they tend to look down on reactive types for this reason. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I way off in left field with this one?

EDIT: Just in case know one knows what I am talking about, the competency types are 1, 3, and 5, and the core reactive types are 6, 4, and 8.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, no, I haven't noticed that.

Speaking as a reactive type, I actually appreciate competency types' commitment toward solving problems. I haven't felt that any of them have looked down on me when I freak out about an issue; instead, they work with me to focus on solving it. I haven't met all the competency types in the world, though.

Positive outlook types, though...to be perfectly honest, I do tend to find *some* representatives of this triad can't face reality, which I personally tend to look down on. I know the feeling has been mutual. I know that's not the question, but I kind of wonder if we tend to look down on others who manage conflicts differently (not just competency vs reactive types)?

rav3n

Core reactive type (8) here who's in a long-term relationship with a core competency type (5). Just sayin'.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Speaking as a reactive type, I actually appreciate competency types' commitment toward solving problems.

This.

Sanjuro said:
Positive outlook types, though...to be perfectly honest, I do tend to find *some* representatives of this triad can't face reality, which I personally tend to look down on.

I don't think I personally tend to look down on it, but I am frustrated by it at times. Most of the time I think I look up to their ability to be happy and unflappable. It is just the few times when they do not want to admit there is a problem at all... but everyone else is in agreement that there is... and then that is a bit awkward.

I kind of wonder if we tend to look down on others who manage conflicts differently (not just competency vs reactive types)?

This seems likely. We probably tend to admire them if they obtain what we see as better outcomes, and probably tend to look down on them if they use strategies that are distasteful to us in some way, or obtain worse outcomes than we feel like we would have.

B

brainheart

I think it's important to point out that 4 is surrounded by two competency types and has a line to one.

6 is a neighbor to 5 and has a line to 3.

8 has a line to 5.

Similarly,

5 is surrounded by two reactive types and has a line to 8.

3 is a neighbor to 4 and has a line to 6.

1 has a line to 4.

None of these types operate in a vacuum, as a 'pure' reactive type or a 'pure' competency type.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Core reactive types tend to be just the opposite: they tend to go ballistic, they tend to be very manic, they test people, and they tend to be the types to scream at people when faced with a great deal of stress.

EDIT: Just in case know one knows what I am talking about, the competency types are 1, 3, and 5, and the core reactive types are 6, 4, and 8.

Having just gone through an extremely stressful period, I feel well-equipped to answer this. :D

I don't do any of the things you think reactive types do. I just get really anti-social and irritable. Your description sounds like someone with a major anger problem, not 1/3 of the population (thankfully!). So I definitely don't have problems with "competency types" thinking I'm overreacting or whatever.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Having just gone through an extremely stressful period, I feel well-equipped to answer this. :D

I don't do any of the things you think reactive types do. I just get really anti-social and irritable. Your description sounds like someone with a major anger problem, not 1/3 of the population (thankfully!). So I definitely don't have problems with "competency types" thinking I'm overreacting or whatever.

Well I do this, and I know several other 6's that do this as well. Tell me, what is our gut fix? Is it 1? I bet it's 1.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I can count the number of times I've screamed at someone on four fingers.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm noticing that core competency types tend to hate core reactive types. When faced with stress, I'm noticing that core competency types tend to remain very cool, calm, and collect. They tend to be calm and assertive when handling confrontation as well. Core reactive types tend to be just the opposite: they tend to go ballistic, they tend to be very manic, they test people, and they tend to be the types to scream at people when faced with a great deal of stress. I'm seeing that competency types hate this about reactive types, and they tend to look down on reactive types for this reason. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I way off in left field with this one?

I havn't really ever screamed at anyone. I scream in my car. ha ha...so no one knows that I'm screaming. If I feel the need to slam something then I warn people. But if I had to guess I'd say I have anger issues. Not sure most 6's are as angry as I am.

Also if I'm being really reactive....I don't have time to sit there and think "I'm gonna test this person." I don't think I test people unless I'm unconscious of the fact that I do. I think I need examples.

My sister, however, has gotten up in my face before though. She's an E8 and she is very quick to still do that. She'll do that with anyone I think.

4's don't even seem reactive to me. Any 4 I know...just gets overwhelmed and I leave the alone. Then they're fine. I can't see a 4 doing those things.:huh:

G

garbage

I'm an alleged core competency type. I hate overreaction, and my threshold for what is overreaction is unrealistically low.

Soo.. you're kinda spot on, maybe? :shrug:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dislike dealing with reactive types at work, I think. They don't understand that being aggressive or demanding is often counterproductive way to resolve these kinds of problems. It lowers my respect for someone, and does not increase it. And being demanding and just talking anxiously and not listening to what I am saying does not help communication, which is frequently a contributor to further problems down the line.

Interestingly, a lot of the people I talk to probably are 4s and 8s, given what they do. Copywriters and salespeople probably correspond pretty well. Interesting how Enneagram types might very well segregate by job... I'm certainly not the only 5 in my department.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think maybe this whole "reactive" thing would fit better if you exclude 6w5s and/or phobic 6s. I'm seriously one of the least "reactive" people I know (as you describe it here), and I don't respond well at all to people getting angry without a really good reason. I don't think I've ever screamed at someone as an adult, and if someone screams at me, I'm out of there. I've noticed the other 6w5s around here are similar.

Counterphobic 6w7s I can imagine being reactive, though.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dislike dealing with reactive types at work, I think. They don't understand that being aggressive or demanding is often counterproductive way to resolve these kinds of problems. It lowers my respect for someone, and does not increase it. And being demanding and just talking anxiously and not listening to what I am saying does not help communication, which is frequently a contributor to further problems down the line.

Interestingly, a lot of the people I talk to probably are 4s and 8s, given what they do. Copywriters and salespeople probably correspond pretty well. Interesting how Enneagram types might very well segregate by job... I'm certainly not the only 5 in my department.

I don't like dealing with things in a confrontational manner either. I interact with plenty of 4s and 8s as well as other types who might be more aggressive or demanding with the way they problem solve, and that makes me cling to the logical approach even more, refusing to drag my emotions into an already tense situation.

Totally feel you on the grouping of certain types in certain jobs. I think that's one of the most tangible things for me when I think about feeling like I need a job change. I look around me and think, oh gosh these are not my people. I probably work with a lot of 1s, 2s, and 6s.

rav3n

Not sure about copywriters but sales lean 7 since they're gregarious, not 8s.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like dealing with things in a confrontational manner either. I interact with plenty of 4s and 8s as well as other types who might be more aggressive or demanding with the way they problem solve, and that makes me cling to the logical approach even more, refusing to drag my emotions into an already tense situation.

I wonder if they got bothered by calmness back, because that means to them that you aren't taking it seriously enough.

rav3n

That might be it....they would be positive outlook, then?
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typeseven.asp

Type Seven in Brief
Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over- extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.

Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs
fulfilled

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if they got bothered by calmness back, because that means to them that you aren't taking it seriously enough.

probably. i do try to acknowledge their emotions, because i believe their feelings are genuine. and you know Fi, i really do respect the way they feel. but yeah, i just can't do things like that. it stresses me out, and like you said, it's never productive aside from venting (which i want to allow them to do, but i prefer to do in other ways).