• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Directors by Enneagram type

S

Stansmith

These are off the top of my head...feel free to add.

Akira Kurosawa

Roman Polanski

Robert Bresson
Francois Truffaut
Ingmar Bergman
Andrei Tarkovsky
Wes Anderson(?)

Stanley Kubrick
Eric Rohmer
Jean-Luc Godard
Michelangelo Antonioni
Coen Brothers
Nicolas Winding Refn
Claude Chabrol
Christopher Nolan
Sergio Leone

David Fincher
Martin Scorsese
Woody Allen

Federico Fellini
Quentin Tarantino
John Cassavetes

Orson Welles
Alfred Hitchcock

Victor Erice
David Lynch
Sofia Coppola

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Wes Anderson might be a 7, probably a 7w6. His style is too randomly playful for a 4. I see 4's taking things more seriously than that.

S

Stansmith

I think about Wes Anderson might be a 7, probably a 7w6. His style is too randomly playful for a 4. I see 4's taking things more seriously than that.

True. I could also see 9w1, or even 6w7.

B

brainheart

I always thought of Eric Rohmer as likely a 1w9. He made a collection of films called Six Moral Tales, and they all posed the question of what is, ethically, the right thing.

I don't know why an 8 would make films about the relationship between mental states and fear like Hitchcock did. I always saw him as 5w6 with that five connection to eight where they mentally toy with your emotions/fear, like Lars Von Trier and Kubrick do.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
5w4 for james cameron
7w8 for michael bay
8w9 for jason eisner

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Wes Anderson seems more 5 to me.

Kathryn Bigelow = 6w5
Masaki Kobayashi = 1w9
Ang Lee = 9w1
Terrence Malick = 4w5
Steve McQueen (director of 12 Years a Slave) = 1w2
Sam Mendes = 3w4
Kenji Mizoguchi = 1w9
Steven Spielberg = 7w6
Lars von Trier = 4w5

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peter Jackson seems like some sort of 9w8/7w6/3w4 combo
Tim Burton seems 4w5/5w4 (I lean the former)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
His films usually deal with themes such as justice, honor, morality, etc.

Interesting point. I still wouldn't personally classify him as 1 (huge Kurasawa fan, me), but then I'm having a hard time articulating why.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Interesting point. I still wouldn't personally classify him as 1 (huge Kurasawa fan, me), but then I'm having a hard time articulating why.
I think he's a 1w2 with a strong connection to 4 (thinking of Ikiru and The Idiot) and 7 (Yojimbo and Sanjuro), in addition to his 1-themed works.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think he's a 1w2 with a strong connection to 4 (thinking of Ikiru and The Idiot) and 7 (Yojimbo and Sanjuro), in addition to his 1-themed works.

Somebody say my name?

I had the impression Kurosawa was in the 147 or 478 tritype.

VagrantFarce

Always thought of David Fincher as a 5w6, you can see it in his protagonists - Lisbeth, Mark Zuckerburg, Robert Graysmith etc. Intelligent, focused, but isolated people. He often gives the same impression in interviews & commentaries to me.

5w4 for james cameron

You should watch some interviews with this guy, he's no 5 - he's big, brash, egotistical, aggressive, passionate. Plus look at his films, all muscular action. I'm convinced he's a sexual 8, although a lot of people will resist that because he's geeky.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Always thought of David Fincher as a 5w6, you can see it in his protagonists - Lisbeth, Mark Zuckerburg, Robert Graysmith etc. Intelligent, focused, but isolated people. He often gives the same impression in interviews & commentaries to me.

You should watch some interviews with this guy, he's no 5 - he's big, brash, egotistical, aggressive, passionate. Plus look at his films, all muscular action. I'm convinced he's a sexual 8, although a lot of people will resist that because he's geeky.

Funny you say that. I originally put him as ESTP 8w7 when I made that post but edited it to 5w4 shortly afterward, and directly related him to myself because his movies are the closest thing I can relate my own sci fi book to. But at the same time I feel like he is INTJ, and I have difficulty seeing INTJs as 8's.

I'm at a tossup with INTJ 5w4 or ESTP 8w7. Ive read that Ni doms can have very intense inner worlds, but then again as an ESTP, my Ni shines through my intense inner world... You think he could be the same personality as myself?

5w4's often have intense inner worlds.

here's a blog to my writing if you'd like to compare:
http://montarisrevelation.blogspot.com/2012/09/masanori-bata.html

S

Stansmith

I'm starting to think Rohmer is an INFJ 1w9, as [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] said. Along with the 1-ish moral dilemmas, there also seems to be a strong Fe-focus in terms of social graces, detached manipulation/flirtation, seeing individuals as 'types', etc. in his moral tales films.

The social dynamics in Suzanne's Career and La Collectionneuse are pretty Beta quadra.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These are off the top of my head...feel free to add.

Akira Kurosawa

Roman Polanski

Robert Bresson
Francois Truffaut
Ingmar Bergman
Andrei Tarkovsky
Wes Anderson(?)

Stanley Kubrick
Eric Rohmer
Jean-Luc Godard
Michelangelo Antonioni
Coen Brothers
Nicolas Winding Refn
Claude Chabrol
Christopher Nolan
Sergio Leone

David Fincher
Martin Scorsese
Woody Allen

Federico Fellini
Quentin Tarantino
John Cassavetes

Orson Welles
Alfred Hitchcock

Victor Erice
David Lynch
Sofia Coppola

David Lynch is 5w4. Alfred Hitchcock was 5w6.

Other:

Gaspar Noë: 6w7 Sx/Sp
Alejandro Jodorowsky: 8w7 So/Sx
Alain Resnais: 5w4 So/Sx
Sean Penn: 8w7 Sx/Sp
Steven Spielberg: 7w6 Sp/So

S

Stansmith

Wes Anderson seems more 5 to me.

Kathryn Bigelow = 6w5
Masaki Kobayashi = 1w9
Ang Lee = 9w1
Terrence Malick = 4w5
Steve McQueen (director of 12 Years a Slave) = 1w2
Sam Mendes = 3w4
Kenji Mizoguchi = 1w9
Steven Spielberg = 7w6
Lars von Trier = 4w5

Lars Von Trier strikes me as a 5w4. E5 directors can be pretty versatile in terms of subject matter. The vibe I get from watching Melancholia, and reading about a few of his other films (including nymphomaniac..), is more Christopher Nolan, or Refn-esque (movies like Valhallaa Rising, Only God Forgives, Drive, etc.) than anything by Tarkovsky, Bergman, Bresson, etc.

It's all sort of detached, experimental and fear-based compared to a film by an E4.