• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anger and Enneagram

Alea_iacta_est

Just had a thought, do you think that each Enneagram type displays a unique type of anger, and if so, could you type somebody based solely on his or her type of anger? Here's what I'm thinking. If I'm completely wrong let me know.

I think 1s would experience exasperated and somewhat explosive anger, it would seem that they would be completely tired of dealing with the problem and would react explosively and sporadically to contradict their predictability and structured nature.

I think 2s would experience a self-destructive and implosive anger, they would feel emotionally betrayed and fragile and would become guarded to contradict their giving and open nature.

I think 3s would experience an ambiverted anger, on the extroverted surface it would appear that they reject any hostility aimed towards them as completely barbaric and undeserved, but below the surface would be complete and utter depression with a side of bitter self-doubt to counteract their high image (Narcissistic even) nature.

I think 4s would experience a self-destructive and implosive anger, but much more vividly than a 2. They would feel as if the whole world had turned against them because they were defective and would either take the path of condemning one's self (the contradiction of their nature) or attempting to dispel others away from themselves so that they can't be emotionally harmed.

I think 5s would experience an endothermic anger, i.e. the cold and calculating anger, they would deem the world as full of antagonists and would seem to shut down emotionally, imploring how to enact their sweet vengeance upon those who had harmed them, instead of quiet and reserved, they would contradict their nature and take every opportunity to deliver a stab of bitter sarcasm, harsh truth, and malice.

I honestly have no idea what 6 anger would be like, if you have an idea I'd love to hear it. (surprising since this is considered a common type)

I think 7s would also experience an endothermic anger, but unlike the five, they would attempt a passive-aggressive stance along the lines of "You killed my mood, I'm going to make your life hell for the next 48 hours." Their attack would seem to be to make an aggressor as depressed and remorseful as possible. (Need more help on this too, probably got this one completely wrong)

I think 8s would be an explosive anger, but infinitely more intense than a 1. An eight would contradict their nature of guarding themselves emotionally by opening up and letting their built-up of anger fly out of them, this is the type that would break a table in half in front of a crowd of people because someone said something that deeply hurt them.

I have no idea what 9 anger is like, if you know, do tell. (Do 9s even get angry?)

Last edited:

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
My nine friend says that when she gets angry, it's usually at her circumstances and she uses that to get things done (like hw or other things).

My sister is a nine and she seems like she gets more passively annoyed than angry. Her normal demeanor (around family) is that she acts like she wants to get things done/be efficient/not waste time (it seems as if she has scheduled her life in a productive fashion ...unlike my 9 friend), so if you are slowing her down or something she'll say "hurry up" but in a relatively semi-annoyed tone ...so it's not super effective.

Edit: Oh, and my roommate (type 6) is constantly angry. Of course, it's not like she will yell at every person who makes her angry (on the outside, she will just get her business done and then leave), but she will come home and complain about it intensely to me. If her underwear rubs her the wrong way (literally) she will complain about it to me. But it's horrible if she is truly angry at someone because ...she will make up anything about you and use that as fuel to be like "I hate this girl she has a squeaky voice ...what a fake!"

....I could be wrong about everything her, but to me, a six angry can look like those stereotypical old people who are like "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!" And they are bitter about everything.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think 7s would also experience an endothermic anger, but unlike the five, they would attempt a passive-aggressive stance along the lines of "you killed my mood, I'm going to make your life hell for the next 48 hours." Their attack would seem to be to make an aggressor as depressed and remorseful as possible. (Need more help on this too, probably got this one completely wrong)
gladly.
for the most part, 7s are a lot more direct than we're made out to be (though we can certainly be more tactical and trickster-y if pushed). anyone can be passive aggression, but overall it's more the realm 6, 9, image types and, to a lesser extent, 5 (oh, and Fe)

Alea_iacta_est

gladly.
for the most part, 7s are a lot more direct than we're made out to be (though we can certainly be more tactical and trickster-y if pushed). anyone can be passive aggression, but overall it's more the realm 6, 9, image types and, to a lesser extent, 5 (oh, and Fe)

Thanks for the input, that actually makes much more sense. ENTPs are often Type 7 and tend to be exceptionally direct, straightforward, and piercing. I never really notice Type 9's passive-aggressiveness, maybe I just don't know that many of them.

Oh, for personal typing purposes (and the fact that you are a 7), do you think it is contradictory to be an INTP and a type 7, and do you think that they would mistype as 5s?

Alea_iacta_est

My nine friend says that when she gets angry, it's usually at her circumstances and she uses that to get things done (like hw or other things).

My sister is a nine and she seems like she gets more passively annoyed than angry. Her normal demeanor (around family) is that she acts like she wants to get things done/be efficient/not waste time (it seems as if she has scheduled her life in a productive fashion ...unlike my 9 friend), so if you are slowing her down or something she'll say "hurry up" but in a relatively semi-annoyed tone ...so it's not super effective.

Edit: Oh, and my roommate (type 6) is constantly angry. Of course, it's not like she will yell at every person who makes her angry (on the outside, she will just get her business done and then leave), but she will come home and complain about it intensely to me. If her underwear rubs her the wrong way (literally) she will complain about it to me. But it's horrible if she is truly angry at someone because ...she will make up anything about you and use that as fuel to be like "I hate this girl she has a squeaky voice ...what a fake!"

....I could be wrong about everything her, but to me, a six angry can look like those stereotypical old people who are like "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!" And they are bitter about everything.
Thanks for your input

Why does anger seem so foreign to type 9s? I can see the annoyance aspect in place of anger, maybe they conceal their anger so they don't have to deal with escalations.

I guess the type 6's anger could stem from paranoia. From what I've heard they are the socially nice people who reveal their true emotions/fears/anger to their friends that they can trust.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no idea what 9 anger is like, if you know, do tell. (Do 9s even get angry?)

Of course they do. They just actively and continually suppress it. It comes out as passive aggressiveness though you won't likely ever get them to admit that.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly have no idea what 6 anger would be like, if you have an idea I'd love to hear it. (surprising since this is considered a common type)

This is a 6 that is really angry. They killed his one son and captured a second one (Heath Ledger) just prior to this.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Thanks for your input

Why does anger seem so foreign to type 9s? I can see the annoyance aspect in place of anger, maybe they conceal their anger so they don't have to deal with escalations.

I guess the type 6's anger could stem from paranoia. From what I've heard they are the socially nice people who reveal their true emotions/fears/anger to their friends that they can trust.

I don't want to sound like I know what I am talking about, but I think for 9's, ...I guess so. Some of them don't want to see problems escalate... Still, maybe there are some who do acknowledge their anger.

Eh, well I think I am a six. I tend to not truly express the anger to the person I am angry with. I don't do it by actively pretending I am NOT experiencing some kind of negative emotion towards the person and actively hiding it to fool the person; I know I am experiencing negative emotions and I am seriously not TRYING to hide it (but with all this head energy ....everything happens inside of my head instead of in the real world). For some reason my brain doesn't think "you should express it and let others know how you truly feel". What I do is more like a paranoia thing: I'll keep on collecting information that fuels my feelings.

yeah I'll vent to some other person ...but the funny thing is that I don't necessarily mean or want to vent. It just explodes out of me ...but only if it gets to be THAT much (builds up for a quite a while).

Edit:: ....Actually, I don't know if my experiences are really connected to anger (of course anger is there ...somewhat). This happens more when I start to loathe myself and I find any information in my environment that confirms how much of a shit person I am and then anger/jealousy manifest from that and then I'll be all "...you think I am worthless piece of shit ...don't you?" xD

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think 7s would also experience an endothermic anger, but unlike the five, they would attempt a passive-aggressive stance along the lines of "You killed my mood, I'm going to make your life hell for the next 48 hours." Their attack would seem to be to make an aggressor as depressed and remorseful as possible. (Need more help on this too, probably got this one completely wrong)

This sounds a lot like me. :nice: I'm all about making people pay for the damage they've caused me. One time when my 4 friend killed my mood on the last day I was visiting I refused to talk to him for 3 months even though he kept apologizing and saying he didn't mean to (which was bs). Other times if he would kill my mood while I was playing a game with him and his family I would antagonize him for the rest of the day. Basically I can be a huge bitch when provoked. Although if I'm like releasing anger that's been built up with someone for ages then I will let loose on them and tell them everything they've done wrong for however long it was I've known them, even if the anger was technically drawn out by something not as big.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I know is that I'm a textbook 4 and I've been f-in' incandescent since birth. Recently, my type 4 INFJ father's ISFP ladylove heard me venting and she turned, looked at him with her eyebrows raised and said, "Were you like this?" He dropped his head, nodded and said, "Yes. Very."

You may be more outraged, sad, hateful, frustrated, dark. But you will never be more angry than I am.

In the last Thor movie, Loki said, "Trust my rage" and I felt my sister look at me sideways, like "That's you." She's a 7 and runs much more coolly than I do.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the input, that actually makes much more sense. ENTPs are often Type 7 and tend to be exceptionally direct, straightforward, and piercing.
I've met a few of both. some ENTPs are indirect little BS-ers, relying on deceptive wordplay more than directness. other ENTPs are more direct.

I never really notice Type 9's passive-aggressiveness, maybe I just don't know that many of them.
9's combination of conflict avoidance and anger predispose them to passive aggressive behavior.

Oh, for personal typing purposes (and the fact that you are a 7), do you think it is contradictory to be an INTP and a type 7, and do you think that they would mistype as 5s?
it's certainly not impossible, but I don't think it would be very common. that said, in the event that that was said person's actual type, they would probably be likely to mistype as a 5

A

Anew Leaf

All I know is that I'm a textbook 4 and I've been f-in' incandescent since birth. Recently, my type 4 INFJ father's ISFP ladylove heard me venting and she turned, looked at him with her eyebrows raised and said, "Were you like this?" He dropped his head, nodded and said, "Yes. Very."

You may be more outraged, sad, hateful, frustrated, dark. But you will never be more angry than I am.

In the last Thor movie, Loki said, "Trust my rage" and I felt my sister look at me sideways, like "That's you." She's a 7 and runs much more coolly than I do.

I am quite honestly jealous of your ability to outwardly rage so beautifully and freely. Curse your glorious 68ism! Curse my lame 79ism of holding inwards!!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For those wondering if 9s get angry... You do realise that the anger types are 1, 8 and 9? So yes, the issue for 9s and recognising their anger as the whole falling asleep to their own needs kinda inhibits stuff like that. I promise you I experience more anger than most, maybe even all types 2 through 7, you just won't see it and until I became aware of my type, like a stereotypical 9, I would have said I wasn't an angry person and could count on one hand the amount of times I had gotten angry, I wasn't aware of it.

As for determining your type by your relationship with anger, you should be able to find your gut fix, otherwise work out your relationship with anxiety and shame for the head and heart fixes.

Angry 1s are critical, angry 8s are rage, angry 9s reflect their wings to a degree but often comes out as passive aggressive unless they explode for a moment, then it will shock people around them due to how out of character it seems.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

Might be interesting.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm....this thread has got me to thinking about how I act when I'm angry.

When I am angry I am apt to analyze my anger, to determine if it's justified and if it is, then I will likely speak my mind and try to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved by reason then I will begin to seek a strategy that will nullify the situation. If it's something I can't do anything about then I will seek to be alone so that I may try to make sense of things.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am quite honestly jealous of your ability to outwardly rage so beautifully and freely. Curse your glorious 68ism! Curse my lame 79ism of holding inwards!!

Tell me about it!

Oh to be able to harness my wing better and get the right level of assertive before the 9 suppression instincts override things. Pretty sure the 4 doesn't help the combo as it's quite happy to throw the anger inwardly and scratch all the emotional scabs, meanwhile 7 just wants to stay positive while 9 doesn't feel like it has a right to be angry. Blah.

*steals Dominos mojo*

A

Anew Leaf

Tell me about it!

Oh to be able to harness my wing better and get the right level of assertive before the 9 suppression instincts override things. Pretty sure the 4 doesn't help the combo as it's quite happy to throw the anger inwardly and scratch all the emotional scabs, meanwhile 7 just wants to stay positive while 9 doesn't feel like it has a right to be angry. Blah.

*steals Dominos mojo*

I think we need to hire Domino to speak at our monthly 479 tritype meetings. Lesson One: How to Be Angry At the Entire World While Looking Like a Model.

- On topic edit -

I read how this type with 4 in charge is the "positive 4". Which I think with 7's desire to be positive with people, 9's desire to just lay back and think of Estonia... the negative feelings I love to wallow in as a 4 end up turning inwards against me. So I may be all cuddly cheer on the outside, but it's probably in direct proportion to the amount of broken glass and bleeding soul is going on inside me.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think 4s would experience a self-destructive and implosive anger, but much more vividly than a 2. They would feel as if the whole world had turned against them because they were defective and would either take the path of condemning one's self (the contradiction of their nature) or attempting to dispel others away from themselves so that they can't be emotionally harmed.

This is definitely true for me. Especially if the other person is upset with me as well, I take it as something wrong with *me*, even if I know they're in the wrong.

I haven't figured out my family's enneatypes yet, but based on the descriptions of type anger, my mother is either a 1 or a 7... Hmm.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think we need to hire Domino to speak at our monthly 479 tritype meetings. Lesson One: How to Be Angry At the Entire World While Looking Like a Model.

- On topic edit -

I read how this type with 4 in charge is the "positive 4". Which I think with 7's desire to be positive with people, 9's desire to just lay back and think of Estonia... the negative feelings I love to wallow in as a 4 end up turning inwards against me. So I may be all cuddly cheer on the outside, but it's probably in direct proportion to the amount of broken glass and bleeding soul is going on inside me.

OMG, lessons with Domino would be epic offtopicness that I would pay money for! :happy2:

Yup. Positive types are 2-7-9, that's the reason it was so hard for me to find my heart fix, the 7 and 9 make it so I feel as though I have to show only positive things to the world, that if I show negativity it will result in rejection so the 4 fix is very internal and as my shame point results in a lot of conflicting feelings leaving me really not wanting to show that side of myself to anyone because it feels like some kind of failing.