• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Integration vs. Tritype fix

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've often wondered how a 7 can tell the difference between having an 1 gut fix and being unhealthy (disintegrating to 1). Likewise, how do 4's know the difference between integrating to 1, and having a 1 fix. 5's, what's the difference between being healthy at 8 and having an 8 gut fix? This question applies to all of the types.

Perhaps our tritype is detectable and consistent throughout health and unhealth, while our integration varies depending on just that. So for instance, I know I do not have a 1-fix because I only manifest 1-like traits, motivations, etc. in health, and I've consistently been 8-ish regardless of health.

Thoughts?

rav3n

I don't buy into the integration/disintegration theory of enneagram since it boxes people into specific behaviours of healthy and unhealthy, where definitions are highly subjective. Tritype makes more sense to me, in that most people will have multiple coping strategies.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't buy into the integration/disintegration theory of enneagram since it boxes people into specific behaviours of healthy and unhealthy, where definitions are highly subjective. Tritype makes more sense to me, in that most people will have multiple coping strategies.

Thanks for your perspective, but my question was in light of both tritype and integration/disintegration as necessary to the full picture (which I believe they are). My question wasn't meant to cause selection between the two aspects of the Enneagram, but to pose a question about how individuals have discerned between the two. As in, not mistaking a 3's integration to 6 as also a 6 head fix. Can a person have both, and how do they know?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The key is behaviors versus motivations.

If you have a strong connection, you should be able to see yourself in many behaviors of that type, but the underlying motivations should not exist if it is not your fix. (And I'll second the viewpoint that we have connections rather than integration vs disintegration points.)

I'll use my own example--I've got a really strong 1-connection--IRL, others have typed me with a 1-fix, and I mistyped that way for a while myself. But I know it's not my gut-fix. I can read through 1 profiles and identify with about half of whatever I read...but then I'll disagree with the reasons behind it.

For instance, if the sentence reads "Ones are perfectionists and obsess over details because they feel as though their personal integrity is on the line if they should make a single mistake", I identify with "Ones are perfectionists and obsess over details" but that wouldn't be the feeling underlying it. I don't feel my integrity is on the line, I simply want to make reality align with what's in my brain. If anything, I get frustrated because I can't assert my will the way I intended (8) rather than perceive this as an integrity issue (1).

Not a great example, but if you're questioning, it might help to read through the descriptions with an eye towards motivations.

EDIT--See, that's what I mean: Two days later, I actually went back to fix the "s" I left off of "reads". Not due to fear of making mistakes, but because it annoys me from an aesthetic standpoint.

Last edited:

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. I was wondering why the 3-ish tendencies I display are generally base and unevolved and come from poor motivations even though 3 is supposed to be my integration point. I think it comes from my 3w4 heart fix rather than from genuine integration.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, good points all.
[MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION], I'm not questioning my own but the thought just popped in my head while I was driving the other day. I do see your point with the motivations thing, but the most clarity for me is still that I display no traits of 1 whatsoever in unhealth, but find connections within myself to 8 all throughout my life. I think the intensity of those characteristics is telling too. My 1'sh traits are there but pretty mild-- I like things to be orderly and projects to progress but I'm in no way a perfectionist. I don't think my experience as a 4 could ever let me be that way because I know mistakes can become beautiful. 8 on the other hand is funny because it's quite a bit more present and saturated in my life, as a protector of the little guy and an island fortress, among other things.

I was actually wondering yesterday while reading the "Different Kinds of 4's" thread, if my certainty of 8 is because it's not only my gut fix but also the integration of my heavy 5 wing. I think it was something that [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] was saying to explain why she doesn't buy into Tritype. In truth I can see that point. If I already know my connection to 4 through my core, and to 5 through my wing and also to 8 through integration of my wing (not to mention my connections to 1 through health, and 2 and 7 through unhealth) why is tritype necessary?

I digress on the tritype thing, but I do think individuals with a 5 wing and also an 8 fix will most easily identify it for that reason.