• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Position of the RCC on Enneagram

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, I was wondering how many people knew the position of the Roman Catholic Church on Enneagram, and if they did, what the basis for that position was.

Some people have told me bits and pieces, but I'd be curious for a broader input.

Also, if you know the position, do you agree with it?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is hearsay, but my mother learned of the enneagram by going on an enneagram retreat given by an RC nun. She has said that the enneagram is a reasonably popular spiritual direction tool for nuns in the US. Have no idea if there is any official stance, though, or how true that is.

A quick google yields this.

B

brainheart

You know, this is one of those things where it's really going to depend on the Catholic. There is such a wide spectrum of thought and teaching in Catholicism. I was introduced to the enneagram by a friend's mom who is a practicing Catholic. It's entirely possible she learned about it on a retreat. I took my first MBTI test in my Catholic high school. I also know that my mom has some religious book on temperaments and using it to understand the people in your life to improve your relationships. In general I would say the Jesuits and religious orders of nuns tend to be the most liberal- and interestingly the most connected to higher education- while parishes often tend to be more conservative.

Overall, though, there is an increasingly growing segment of the Catholic population that is far more conservative, and with conservatism often comes a suspicion of alternative self help methods that don't emphasize church and prayer as the primary instrument for growth. It's been my observation that in the United States the Catholic Church is way more conservative than it was when I was a kid. This is probably because many of the more liberal-leaning Catholics in the past couple of generations left the church once they reached adulthood. I would say that around ten percent of my friends who were raised Catholic still go to church. I'm not one of them.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You know, this is one of those things where it's really going to depend on the Catholic. There is such a wide spectrum of thought and teaching in Catholicism. I was introduced to the enneagram by a friend's mom who is a practicing Catholic. It's entirely possible she learned about it on a retreat. I took my first MBTI test in my Catholic high school. I also know that my mom has some religious book on temperaments and using it to understand the people in your life to improve your relationships. In general I would say the Jesuits and religious orders of nuns tend to be the most liberal- and interestingly the most connected to higher education- while parishes often tend to be more conservative.

Overall, though, there is an increasingly growing segment of the Catholic population that is far more conservative, and with conservatism often comes a suspicion of alternative self help methods that don't emphasize church and prayer as the primary instrument for growth. It's been my observation that in the United States the Catholic Church is way more conservative than it was when I was a kid. This is probably because many of the more liberal-leaning Catholics in the past couple of generations left the church once they reached adulthood. I would say that around ten percent of my friends who were raised Catholic still go to church. I'm not one of them.

Isn't that kind of sad, though? I am not Roman Catholic and have no connection to the RCC (not even a single relative or friend that I know of), but I have a great respect for the tradition of the organization. It's incredible to me that they can even hold together with such incredible diversity of membership, even if it is less so now than it was in the past. Just the idea of the continuity of the medieval Western church holding mostly together into the present day is absolutely staggering. What other institution has even come close to such a record?