• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Enneagram and Money

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a session in my city about the Enneagram and Money recently. The gist of it was that your Enneagram type influences how you handle money. I didn't attend but talked to someone who did. 1s for example are savers and 7s like to have money for their fun stuff.

I personally have placed a priority on saving and investing as a way of establishing security. That way, if something bad happened, I would be able to survive without financial difficulty. For similar reasons, I avoid debt like the plague. This strikes me as very 6ish behavior.

How do you think different enneagram types handle money?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9:

Eliminate and avoid debt.

Decent savers but may or may not take steps to invest it.

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.

If a 9 gets really behind on their debt, they may have issues getting back on track.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9:

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.

If a 9 gets really behind on their debt, they may have issues getting back on track.

Interesting. Maybe you don't waste as much as you think you do though. That is, it is a small amount in the big picture.

I absolutely waste money on indulgences. It's not enough to affect my security but it isn't insignificant either.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm not speaking for all 4's, but I've always been one to make impulsive purchases, regretting it afterwards, ESPECIALLY when it comes to clothes. I think I'll develop my sense of money-security-thing pretty well once I move out at 18 though, I'm just that kind of person somehow. If I had a lot of money I would donate more than half of it to charity.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I alternate between hoarding my money and spending very little, and making big, unnecessary purchases. Money is vulgar but fun when used correctly.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think the way you handle money is more relevant to your instincts than anything else, money is tied to the self preservation instinct.

As a 2 I'm really bad with money on a daily basis, I always pay too much for things and I buy emotionally, but somehow I've avoided debt and have a decent savings thanks to a few key life decisions.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm totally afraid of debt too. I don't have a credit card or own anything and am totally paranoid of ever having to do it. I basically always just have the mentality that I need money and can't afford to spend a lot.

I'm super cheap with most purchases, but tend to make lots of little purchases on like random things. I do spend a lot on some stuff, mostly food, alcohol, and coffee lol.

Standuble

I'm a 4 (historically typed as one anyway) and I hoard money. Lots of money. In fact arguably to the point of near mental illness, I am uncomfortable spending money even where there is reasonable evidence that the investment would make profitable returns. Nothing is bought unless I can reconcile it with my sense of self first. Otherwise I essentially have a paperweight on my hand which I hope I can find some sort of desire for later. It all leads to a point of stinginess which has provided plenty of criticism in the past (but part of me enjoys that reputation so I can live with it.)

The good news is that I've never been in debt. I do not have a credit card and don't owe money. I plan to move out and I am being careful to ensure that the essentials would still be within my means in a new property. Sadly I lack compassion for those who spend impulsively to the point of consuming debt. I abhor the idea of becoming another's slave and I am sure others do too. What in this world is worth becoming a slave over?

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think the way you handle money is more relevant to your instincts than anything else, money is tied to the self preservation instinct.
That seems accurate.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since this is about the Enneagram, it's likely that any theory of Enneagram and money would need to incorporate the health levels. Health levels can make a pretty big difference in our motivations, which can reflect in how we handle money.

Interesting. Maybe you don't waste as much as you think you do though. That is, it is a small amount in the big picture.

I absolutely waste money on indulgences. It's not enough to affect my security but it isn't insignificant either.

Until I tightened things up a couple of months ago, I was spending between $900-$1,100 on food a month. For just me. (I've since cut that by over 50%, and am still working on lowering it.) Eating was my major form of avoidance, which is common among the "average" levels of the E9. Otherwise, my issues with avoidance usually saved me money, especially since I didn't get into any drug or drinking habit.

But yeah, while that wasn't a small amount, it wasn't causing me to go under each month or anything. Plus, I've had a 401K for years, which I got after I saw so many older people hit retirement age and not have any money.

One thing that may or may not be E9 specific is that my favorite way to learn about money is to study and analyze those people I know that are very good and successful with it. The theory doesn't interest me as much.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My handling of money sounds basically like yours, @highlander. Priority on saving for security; strict avoidance of debt.

I've yet to invest because I'm saving up enough to invest in something that costs a little more initially but pays better in the long run.

My indulgence purchases are typically gifts for others... it's easy for me to spend on others. Spending on myself is more stressful.

I'm not sure what I think about this. It sounds right in general. I'm sp-last, but I've always been good with money. I assume it's the 6 cautiousness.

Udog said:
9:

This sounds exactly like my 9.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
9:

This is very much how I am.

The house and cars are functional but cheap and kind of crappy but totally paid off. We don't use credit cards or use credit for anything. We use older, refurbished smart phones with a cheap, no contract plan.

We have student loans that we'll probably never get paid off.

I love to eat out. I love good quality but average looking and comfortable clothes. I love books. Those are what I spend money on.

I handle the family's money, so I encourage my husband to use savings tools that come directly out of his paycheck and that I never touch because once the money is in my hands, it starts burning a hole in my pocket. I can keep the bills paid, food in the fridge, and gas in the vehicles, but after that, all bets are off.

Another factor to consider is upbringing and socio-eco status. I grew up poor and have lived hand to mouth most of my life. I am certain this influences how I relate to money.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The house and cars are functional but cheap and kind of crappy but totally paid off. We don't use credit cards or use credit for anything. We use older, refurbished smart phones with a cheap, no contract plan.

:yes:

I always buy used, and keep cars until they are at least 10 years old. (Oldest car was 16 years old.) I don't have any credit cards, but will likely change that because reward programs are better value than my bank card. I've had an iPhone for 2.5 years, but will likely downgrade back to a cheap plan in the next few months.

I handle the family's money, so I encourage my husband to use savings tools that come directly out of his paycheck and that I never touch because once the money is in my hands, it starts burning a hole in my pocket. I can keep the bills paid, food in the fridge, and gas in the vehicles, but after that, all bets are off.

Amen. Although, I've always done well to keep at least 3-6 months of emergency funds handy. I like not having to stress about losing my job.

I did get up to a full years' salary worth of money in the bank. I ended up quitting my job for 8 months. While there were a lot of other issues behind that decision... probably not my finest hour! Now, I just invest the extra into stock market index funds and whatnot to keep the money from burning a hole in my pocket.

Another factor to consider is upbringing and socio-eco status. I grew up poor and have lived hand to mouth most of my life. I am certain this influences how I relate to money.

Definitely.

e9: I'm not really driven to make more money than I need for necessities plus a select few indulgences. I try to stay on top of my bills and expenses with variable success; I generally do okay if I set good habits and trends from the get go.

Inertia.

Sometimes, I'll save up for one thing and then go blow it on something else, but I usually still really enjoy that something else, so it's okay.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
I've always been rather financially prudent for a 7 (I thank the 3 fix, 1 fix and strong Self Preservation instinct)

I alternate between hoarding my money and spending very little, and making big, unnecessary purchases. Money is vulgar but fun when used correctly.

this is basically what I do (I think it's an Sx/Sp thing)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this is basically what I do (I think it's an Sx/Sp thing)

Sp/sx too, I think. Careful about money, then all of a sudden, WHOMP, big exciting purchase.

Sp/so seems more steady.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The way I've used money has changed dramatically in the past year. I even remember feeling like a moron in threads like this in the past.

My failure to save was out of a combination of two things. First, fatalism. I had low expectations of my future, so spent on symbols of what I wanted out of life instead of going for the real thing because I didn't believe it was attainable for the broken person I thought I was. Secondly, overconfidence in my ability to solve systemic problems quickly, and without keeping physical records. Even today when I am writing a budget, the information feels obvious and like something I could work just fine in my head, but that's not true.

Overcoming the above involved seeing the contradiction between those two principles. Level of health means everything.

Now I do have savings and keep careful track of what I use. I get my problem solving fix from working out how to get the most out of very low use of resources.

Enneagram 4.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My first instinct is to consider myself "cheap". I'm quite conservative with money and material possessions, though I always attributed this to my grandparents, who were financially conservative SJ, sp-first bankers who lived through the Great Depression. I was taught to "save whatever you don't absolutely need". And for the most part I do--I get a paycheck and put it all in the bank.

The money I spend is usually on food and rent. Just the necessities. I don't like getting into debt; even on my credit card, I won't buy what I don't have backed up by the bank (I think the current financial situation is just bizarre--I can't imagine people could be that stupid!). I'm always trying to find a better deal, minimize my needs and expenditures, get more for less, etc.

Basically, I live off nothing and try to save half of whatever I earn.

Ah, but I wouldn't be me without a massive dollop of contradiction to all this.

Basically, though I try to conserve it as a resource, money holds little interest to me beyond covering my ass and giving me the ability to do what I want. I've no desire to center my life around the acquisition of money--any acquisitive tendencies I have are a game and nothing more. If I get incorrectly charged for something, it's going to take more effort for me to speak up about that than it's worth to me (like one time I refused an Amazon purchase, but they charged me $20 anyway, and I didn't even bother to contest it).

I'm also inclined towards spending my hoardings in stupid ways--penny wise and pound foolish. I'll spend forever finding the "cheapest" internet cafe for instance, to save 50 cents...then spend 50 dollars on books. I'll live off slices of bread for a week to save money, then spend it all on a movie. I'll put money away for years, then obliterate it on an extended vacation. PRIORITIES, people!

Plus, I also do that thing when I come into civilization again and see all the sparkly stuff and delicious food around me...and it's like an Se binge.

And if I have a solid number in the bank, it's actually harder for me to break that than it is for me to conserve the cash I have on hand. If you give me a debit card, I'll rigorously maintain the balance because I don't like watching the number get pared down. But if you put a $50 bill in my hand, it will be gone within 48 hours.

So I'm not sure if I'm a spender or a saver. There's two distinct halves to me here.

I imagine instincts are at least AS important as enneatype here.
I am 4w5 sx/soc

And if I have a solid number in the bank, it's actually harder for me to break that than it is for me to conserve the cash I have on hand. If you give me a debit card, I'll rigorously maintain the balance because I don't like watching the number get pared down. But if you put a $50 bill in my hand, it will be gone within 48 hours.

This ... but take 48 hours and divide it by 12 and you get the picture, haha. There's something about cash that makes me just want to blow it immediately. It's why I try not to pull any more money from the ATM than I absolutely have to. It just disappears.

G

Ginkgo

I think I'm somewhere in between lax and rigid with my money. I save it for unnecessary things after attempting to analyze how I can gain the most out of the smallest amount of effort. I'm the kind of person who buys a small apartment with a massive entertainment system. In the end, it tends to work out and I've rarely racked up debt for utilities - I don't want it all to hang out. Maybe [MENTION=7991]chana[/MENTION] can relate to some of this.