• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] 3-fixers vs. 4-fixers

S

Stansmith

What separates a 4w3-fixer from a 3-fixer who finds the 4-aesthetic desirable?

I'm starting to question whether my 4w3-fix is valid. I feel like since the age of 13, I've been more-or-less incorporating the style and mannerisms of people I admire and sort of molded myself into those images.. Although I consider my style as of late highly personal and precise, I can't help but feel that my image or 'likeness' can be traced back to a variety of specific people or external images that I've introjected, whereas I imagine a 4-fixers' image to be much more intrinsic and mood-based. Some core-4w3s seem to do the same thing I do though. I also feel like, 3-fixers are much more relatable, showy and un-eccentric (especially core-6w7s), whereas I've always felt separate from most of my peers in some way.

As far as identifying with emotions; while I definitely feel and enjoy dramatizing my emotions, I don't think I base my identity on them. I've always based my identity on being 'ideal' in some way, and although lately I've been interested in being seen as someone with emotional depth, my "ideal self" in the past was someone much more shallow. I don't think I knew what authenticity was when I was 15-16. I think I only became interested in emotional depth after realizing that it was "better" than being a douchebag.

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
Maybe "Fixes" or life priorities changes as time goes on. (As it seems believable to me) Or maybe you are a 3 fixer who enjoys being a tad eccentric or whatever. I don't know. I recall in my childhood being a very 2w1-ish child at times. Such as how I always wanted to grab the attention of my teachers and mother. I'm guessing life experience changes who you grow up into, and your younger years is figuring out who you are and developing. So it's not unlikely you are very different than what you were as a child.

B

brainheart

Considering Andy Warhol and David Bowie are both frequently typed as 3w4 (yes there is debate on this vs 4w3), as well as Truman Capote, I'd say 3w4s have potential for eccentricity. A friend of mine who is an INFP 3w4 has said the same things about herself that you are saying about yourself.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just in case you haven't read this ~

Enneagram Institute Misidentifications[/quote said:
Here also, misidentifications are probably the result of confusion over wing versus dominant type: 3w4 and 4w3. The primary difference between these types can be seen in their relationship with their emotional life. Threes tend to focus on task, on efficiency, on performance. Of course, Threes have feelings, but as much as possible, they put them on the backburner whenever there are things to get done—and with many Threes, that is most of the time. As Threes become less healthy, they increasingly see their own feelings as "speed bumps"–annoyances that must be dealt with but which interfere with their effectiveness. Threes want to get their goals accomplished, and then, time permitting, process their feelings.

Fours are almost the exact opposite. Naturally, Fours want to accomplish things too, but when difficult feelings arise, Fours want to stop what they are doing and process them before returning to their tasks. The less healthy the Four, the more he or she will need lots of time to sort through troubling feelings and reactions. Threes can see the Four's preoccupation with sorting feelings as unprofessional and immature. Fours can see the Three's obsession with performance as inauthentic and shallow.

It is far more common for Threes to mistype as Fours than vice versa. This is especially true for Threes who grew up in families in which artistic self-expression was particularly valued. They may mistakenly believe that only Fours are creative, while failing to recognize that there have been many noted artists who are Threes.

S

Stansmith

Just in case you haven't read this ~

Here also, misidentifications are probably the result of confusion over wing versus dominant type: 3w4 and 4w3. The primary difference between these types can be seen in their relationship with their emotional life. Threes tend to focus on task, on efficiency, on performance. Of course, Threes have feelings, but as much as possible, they put them on the backburner whenever there are things to get done—and with many Threes, that is most of the time. As Threes become less healthy, they increasingly see their own feelings as "speed bumps"–annoyances that must be dealt with but which interfere with their effectiveness. Threes want to get their goals accomplished, and then, time permitting, process their feelings.

Fours are almost the exact opposite. Naturally, Fours want to accomplish things too, but when difficult feelings arise, Fours want to stop what they are doing and process them before returning to their tasks. The less healthy the Four, the more he or she will need lots of time to sort through troubling feelings and reactions. Threes can see the Four's preoccupation with sorting feelings as unprofessional and immature. Fours can see the Three's obsession with performance as inauthentic and shallow.

It is far more common for Threes to mistype as Fours than vice versa. This is especially true for Threes who grew up in families in which artistic self-expression was particularly valued. They may mistakenly believe that only Fours are creative, while failing to recognize that there have been many noted artists who are Threes.
[/QUOTE]

Phobic Sixes can be sulky regardless of fix, so that's a bit iffy. I usually have to wallow in my feelings first before I can get anything done as a rule.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Phobic Sixes can be sulky regardless of fix, so that's a bit iffy. I usually have to wallow in my feelings first before I can get anything done as a rule.[/QUOTE]

In the case of what you quoted, I am a 4.

S

Stansmith

Phobic Sixes can be sulky regardless of fix, so that's a bit iffy. I usually have to wallow in my feelings first before I can get anything done as a rule.

In the case of what you quoted, I am a 4.[/QUOTE]

I get 5 or 9w1 vibes from you honestly, you don't seem reactive. You have that thing many 9s do, where they can see themselves in any suggestion given or description shown to them. You have a very calm, mellow presence in your writing too. Obviously though, it's up to you.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the case of what you quoted, I am a 4.

I get 5 or 9w1 vibes from you honestly, you don't seem reactive. You have that thing many 9s do, where they can see themselves in any suggestion given or description shown to them. You have a very calm, mellow presence in your writing too. Obviously though, it's up to you.[/QUOTE]
I do see myself in virtually any suggestion I am given, yet at the same time...
Not entirely...