• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you rank the prevalence of each type?

S

Stansmith

9w1 (most numerous)
6w7
6w5
9w8

= 75% of the population

And then you have a hodge podge of the rest; mainly 3s, 7s and 8s.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aw, I don't really like these threads. I've seen it spawn myths about the most "common" types, as well as the "rare, special ones" (4s and 5s and 8s), leading to entire cultures of thought where most people are really 6s in denial, especially those who think they could be a "rare" type.

The short answer is, no one really has data as to the "most common/rare type". We have personal observations, which are entirely subjective, and totally dependent on our own typing abilities. Also, it appears that certain types "run in the family" and certain places may have (or attract) certain types, leading to "pockets" rather than an equal distribution. But so far, there's absolutely no way to reliably gauge the frequency at which each type occurs.

Having given my official stance on that, I will confess that I do notice a preponderance of people who state that they know a lot of 6s and 9s (which is, of course, proof of nothing). In my own life, there have been an absurd number of 4s, 5s (RARE TYPES! proof of nothing), 9s and 1s, or people with those fixes. I don't know that many 6s, 2s, 3s, or 8s. But, that's my own experience and is not intended as evidence of any particular rate of occurrence.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aw, I don't really like these threads. I've seen it spawn myths about the most "common" types, as well as the "rare, special ones" (4s and 5s and 8s), leading to entire cultures of thought where most people are really 6s in denial, especially those who think they could be a "rare" type.

The short answer is, no one really has data as to the "most common/rare type". We have personal observations, which are entirely subjective, and totally dependent on our own typing abilities. Also, it appears that certain types "run in the family" and certain places may have (or attract) certain types, leading to "pockets" rather than an equal distribution. But so far, there's absolutely no way to reliably gauge the frequency at which each type occurs.

This sums it up pretty much for me too.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The available statistics (there really isn't much) don't reflect reality in my opinion, because certain types are more drawn to self introspection, open to topics of psychology, etc. I've actually been keeping a chart on everyone I know who knows their type (quite a lot, as I go to a church that's that encourages the Enneagram as a tool for emotional health). So far:

2: nine people
6: eight people
3: six people
8: six people
1: five people
9: five people
7: five people
4: two people (including myself)
5: one person (+2 people suspected)

While this is fascinating (for me anyway), I know there are factors that still that skew my statistics. Even who I am and how I know each individual plays a factor. In order to get pure results, all of the people involved would have to be random and emotionally mature enough to be honest with themselves (most of the people on my chart are the latter at least).

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9w1 (most numerous)
6w7
6w5
9w8

= 75% of the population

And then you have a hodge podge of the rest; mainly 3s, 7s and 8s.

This seems strange to me; my initial thought is that your particular lens into the world, people you are surrounded by, is like a microcosm of the world, if you think 75% is actually composed of 9's and 6's.

For example, the medical field - nursing in particular - is I think filled with 2's. Likely social services and education as well. From my own work experience, I can say the corporate world has a lot of 1's, 3's, 6's, and 8's, with a large number of 5's in the technical realm. Certain subcultures/particularly counterphobic- anti-society ones may be filled with 6's, throwing in some 4's as well. But it seems to me, I'm going to say anecdotally, that there's a pretty even spread amongst all enneagrams.

I think there will be heavier bias of certain e-types depending on the 'pocket' of society you're actually looking at.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Having given my official stance on that, I will confess that I do notice a preponderance of people who state that they know a lot of 6s and 9s (which is, of course, proof of nothing). In my own life, there have been an absurd number of 4s, 5s (RARE TYPES! proof of nothing), 9s and 1s, or people with those fixes. I don't know that many 6s, 2s, 3s, or 8s. But, that's my own experience and is not intended as evidence of any particular rate of occurrence.

:happy0065:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extremely common
3w2 So/Sp, 3w4 Sp/Sx, 6w5 Sp/So, 6w5 Sp/Sx

Very common
3w2 So/Sx, 6w7 So/Sp, 6w7 So/Sx, 7w6 So/Sx, 8w9 Sp/So

Common
1w9 So/Sp, 3w2 Sp/Sx, 3w4 So/Sp, 7w8 So/Sx, 9w8 So/Sx, 9w1 Sp/So

Quite common
1w9 Sp/So, 2w3 So/Sx, 3w4 So/Sx, 6w7 Sp/So, 6w7 Sp/Sx, 9w1 Sx/Sp

Averagely common
1w9 Sp/Sx, 1w2 So/Sp, 4w3 So/Sx, 5w6 Sp/So, 6w7 Sx/Sp, 7w6 Sp/Sx, 7w6 So/Sp, 7w8 Sx/Sp, 8w7 Sp/So, 9w8 Sp/So, 9w8 Sp/Sx, 9w8 Sx/Sp, 9w1 Sp/Sx

Quite rare
1w9 So/Sx, 1w2 Sp/So, 2w3 So/Sp, 3w2 Sp/So, 3w4 Sx/So, 4w3 Sp/Sx, 4w5 Sp/Sx, 5w4 Sp/Sx, 5w6 Sp/Sx, 5w6 So/Sp, 6w5 So/Sp, 6w5 So/Sx, 6w7 Sx/So, 7w6 Sx/Sp, 8w7 So/Sx, 8w7 Sx/So, 8w9 Sp/Sx, 8w9 So/Sp, 8w9 Sx/Sp, 9w8 So/Sp, 9w1 So/Sp

Rare
2w1 Sp/So, 2w1 So/Sx, 2w3 Sp/So, 3w2 Sx/Sp, 3w4 Sx/Sp, 4w3 So/Sp, 5w4 So/Sx, 5w4 Sx/Sp, 6w5 Sx/Sp, 7w6 Sp/So, 7w6 Sx/So, 7w8 Sp/Sx, 7w8 So/Sp, 7w8 Sx/So, 8w7 Sp/Sx, 8w7 So/Sp, 9w1 So/Sx, 9w1 Sx/So

Very rare
1w9 Sx/Sp, 1w9 Sx/So, 1w2 Sp/Sx, 1w2 So/Sx, 1w2 Sx/Sp, 1w2 Sx/So, 2w1 Sp/Sx, 2w1 So/Sp, 2w1 Sx/So, 2w3 Sp/Sx, 2w3 Sx/Sp, 2w3 Sx/So, 3w2 Sx/So, 4w3 Sp/So, 4w3 Sx/Sp, 4w3 Sx/So, 4w5 So/Sp, 4w5 Sx/Sp, 5w4 Sp/So, 5w4 So/Sp, 5w6 So/Sx, 5w6 Sx/Sp, 5w6 Sx/So, 6w5 Sx/So, 7w8 Sp/So, 8w9 So/Sx, 8w9 Sx/So, 9w8 Sx/So

Extremely rare
2w1 Sx/Sp, 4w5 Sp/So, 4w5 So/Sx, 4w5 Sx/So, 5w4 Sx/So, 8w7 Sx/Sp

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extremely common

Very common

Common

Quite common

Averagely common
1w9 Sp/Sx, 1w2 So/Sp, 4w3 So/Sx, 5w6 Sp/So, 6w7 Sx/Sp, 7w6 Sp/Sx, 7w6 So/Sp, 7w8 Sx/Sp, 8w7 Sp/So, 9w8 Sp/So, 9w8 Sp/Sx, 9w8 Sx/Sp, 9w1 Sp/Sx

Quite rare
1w9 So/Sx, 1w2 Sp/So, 2w3 So/Sp, 3w2 Sp/So, 3w4 Sx/So, 4w3 Sp/Sx, 4w5 Sp/Sx, 5w4 Sp/Sx, 5w6 Sp/Sx, 5w6 So/Sp, 6w5 So/Sp, 6w5 So/Sx, 6w7 Sx/So, 7w6 Sx/Sp, 8w7 So/Sx, 8w7 Sx/So, 8w9 Sp/Sx, 8w9 So/Sp, 8w9 Sx/Sp, 9w8 So/Sp, 9w1 So/Sp

Rare
2w1 Sp/So, 2w1 So/Sx, 2w3 Sp/So, 3w2 Sx/Sp, 3w4 Sx/Sp, 4w3 So/Sp, 5w4 So/Sx, 5w4 Sx/Sp, 6w5 Sx/Sp, 7w6 Sp/So, 7w6 Sx/So, 7w8 Sp/Sx, 7w8 So/Sp, 7w8 Sx/So, 8w7 Sp/Sx, 8w7 So/Sp, 9w1 So/Sx, 9w1 Sx/So

Very rare
1w9 Sx/Sp, 1w9 Sx/So, 1w2 Sp/Sx, 1w2 So/Sx, 1w2 Sx/Sp, 1w2 Sx/So, 2w1 Sp/Sx, 2w1 So/Sp, 2w1 Sx/So, 2w3 Sp/Sx, 2w3 Sx/Sp, 2w3 Sx/So, 3w2 Sx/So, 4w3 Sp/So, 4w3 Sx/Sp, 4w3 Sx/So, 4w5 So/Sp, 4w5 Sx/Sp, 5w4 Sp/So, 5w4 So/Sp, 5w6 So/Sx, 5w6 Sx/Sp, 5w6 Sx/So, 6w5 Sx/So, 7w8 Sp/So, 8w9 So/Sx, 8w9 Sx/So, 9w8 Sx/So

Extremely rare

Interesting. How do you get this?

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from most to least(in my experience):
4w3's (maybe its just so insanely easy to spot them, or ive just happened to meet a huge bunch of them.. but it seems like theres a 4w3, no mater where i go. and im not talking about the wanna be 4w3's.)
7w6's
9w1's
6w7's
8w7's

most rare to somewhat rare:
7w8(only seen three in my entire life, none whom i even talked to. so this ennea is truly a mystery to me. they all seemed like adhd lol. well, maybe adhd is another word for e7?)
2w3(only met one)
8w9 (one again)
1w9 (two)
4w5(i consider 4w5's the easiest ennea to spot, so i guess they really are scarce considering that. they really stand out with that super cute sad eye thing.)
5w4 ( three)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just was combing through my Facebook and seem to know a ton of 7s, a few more w6 than w8, lots of 4s, both wings, lots of 9s, and then very few 1s, 8s, and 5s. The rest are in between.

But that's all totally subject to the bias of people being on Facebook and being my friend and my subjective typing and whatever else. Just thought it was interesting. Probably says more about me and Facebook than about Enneatype prevalence.

S

Stansmith

4s are the one type I've barely run into in my neighborhood, highschool or college. 5s and 8s aren't that hard to spot.

Most archetypal facebook/tumblr-y "4s" are actually 9s, 6w7s and 7w6s.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4s are the one type I've barely run into in my neighborhood, highschool or college. 5s and 8s aren't that hard to spot.

How do reckon you spot a real 4?

S

Stansmith

How do reckon you spot a real 4?

The whole "4" image is pretty popular with people my age who arent necessarily core 4s. Lots of people will are into "fashion", "art" and "photography". 7w8s, 6w7s, 9w8s, etc. can all be "aesthetic", superficially 'dark' and 'artsy'. They're all ironically similar and its more or less a new form of conformity.

The difference is that legitimate 4s (with the exception of some So/Sx's) aren't a part of all that. There's no blatant trendiness or corniness factor to them. Their image and taste is usually legitimately personal and self-referential, instead of the trendy version of unique, which looks more like this:

tumblr_ml3bpxTrbo1snjxuro1_500.jpg

worldhypebeastlead.jpg

asap-rocky-upscalehype-2.jpg

They also arent the type to talk about "big booty bitches", sports or getting tipsy with their girlfriends. Those are your 9s, 7s and 6s.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

FWIW, I'm pretty sure my friend who has like 20k followers on Tumblr is a 4w3. :) ISFP so/sp. If you look at character MBTI charts that have been floating around there nowadays, you see that a lot of people there test as mostly ISFP, then INFJ, then INFP. You get both sorts of ENFxs every now and then, but most people get in the IxFx range (excluding ISFJ).

Alright, time to do a Facebook count (of people that I know well enough to type):

1w9 - 1
1w2 - 2
2w1 - 5
2w3 - 6
3w2 - 3
3w4 - 2
4w3 - 3
5w4 - 2
6w5 - 2
6w7 - 5
7w6 - 6
7w8 - 3
9w8 - 2
9w1 - 5

Andddd that's all I got. :D

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Extremely common

Very common

Common

Quite common

Averagely common

Quite rare

Rare

Very rare

Extremely rare

I'm fascinated to know where these stats come from! Even if it's just from your brain. They are so specific though, so I'm thinking there must be a source. Care to share? I can never find enough info on this topic.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The available statistics (there really isn't much) don't reflect reality in my opinion, because certain types are more drawn to self introspection, open to topics of psychology, etc. I've actually been keeping a chart on everyone I know who knows their type (quite a lot, as I go to a church that's that encourages the Enneagram as a tool for emotional health). So far:

2: nine people
6: eight people
3: six people
8: six people
1: five people
9: five people
7: five people
4: two people (including myself)
5: one person (+2 people suspected)

While this is fascinating (for me anyway), I know there are factors that still that skew my statistics. Even who I am and how I know each individual plays a factor. In order to get pure results, all of the people involved would have to be random and emotionally mature enough to be honest with themselves (most of the people on my chart are the latter at least).
Interesting. :)

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
I think 9s should be theoretically the most prominent due to the fact that it's the "Center of the enneagram", and the focal point of the point of what the enneagram really is. Considering that if you add up all of the numbers, then you'd get a nine at the end of it, which is a reflection of the fact that all of the types are deviations and variants of what the type nine is all about. The deadening of ourselves through our ego, to protect it so that it doesn't have to deal with the real world and what reality is about.

As such it's logical to think that 9 is the most popular, though not by an overly wide margin (like 20% max). I won't give out exact statistics but from my guess without looking at other people too deeply, it's like this.

1: 9 are pretty damn common. Even if you remove the basic metaphysics from the equation, there are a lot of people out there who don't like rocking the boat.
3: 3 getting the most points is a common goal. People like to impress themselves, and be the best of the best.
2: 7 the world is not in short supply of people who are narcissistic to at least some degree. Pain avoidance is common place. (NOT self absorbed, which most people are and it's pretty healthy to be involved in your own life)
4: 2 both men and women need some love in their life. The love starvation of the world is pretty apparent if you look at it closely enough. Trying to impress others is what a lot of folks do in their life.
5: 1 Not very well known, it's best to think of 1 as being the avoidance of what they see as filth, rather than getting the high score so "Perfection" is a 3 thing in most people's minds.
6: 6 Amusingly enough, I think the type 6 is a more specific phenomenon rather than most people think it is. You just don't see people with their eyes and ears everywhere. Sniffin' out trouble.
7: 8 Quite a few folk have a revenge complex out there, who have issues with the desire of destroying or at least destroying those that hurt them. From the poor to rich there are enough people to do some legwork in the world.
8: 4 It's pretty true this type is pretty rare I guess.
9: 5 I place this one on the bottom, because I don't know where to rank the 5 at. My gut says it's about middle though...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is just based on my observations of people I know and interact with in the everyday world.

I'd say 6 and 9 are the most common and 4 and 5 are the least common, with the other types somewhere in between.