• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can we gain from Instinct Variants?

Sunny Ghost

What can we gain from learning our instinctual variants? What is it's importance and implications?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Omg I've just recently decided it is one of the most important things when it comes to understanding someone. Especially super intimately like a significant other. No where is it more important to have your basic needs accepted and met IMO.

And not being aware of it can cause so many miscommunications and hurt feelings.

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
Instinctual Variants are best paired with the E-type IMO.

An example being an Self Preservational 1 which is mostly about fixing wrongs in this world, and a Sexual 2 which is about seducing their partners by being as desirable as possible.

Look up Naranjo's subtypes, I find them to be interesting myself.

Or use this link I forgot then found again. http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...erpts-spiritual-dimensions-sandra-maitri.html

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Energy regulation and improved decision-making, for starters. Gives the individual boosted incentive to act decisively because they recognize the rhythm in the surf.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It can be useful to know what needs you need quenched in order to function properly - and how those same needs are not of vital importance to someone else's who might have needs you consider trivial. Understanding that what is trivial to you is not trivial to others is a huge part of bridging conflict, misunderstandings and frustrations between two people.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Omg I've just recently decided it is one of the most important things when it comes to understanding someone. Especially super intimately like a significant other. No where is it more important to have your basic needs accepted and met IMO.

And not being aware of it can cause so many miscommunications and hurt feelings.

Yes, exactly. It's sort of akin to a Maslow hierarchy. Once you understand what imperatives a person must fulfill, it's much easier to empathize with them and to interpret their behavior for its real intentions.

Sunny Ghost

Thanks guys.

I feel like I understand MBTI backwards and forwards, but never got as into the enneagram and instincts. I feel like I should be reading all about it now. :reading:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought it effects largely how we interact with people and how we look to give things to the group, or simply to ourselves. Sexual also I thought can add a more mystical and radical element, whereas social and self-pres are more about the boring old real world, self-pres even more so, but hey, at least the socials aren't scared of everything and can give epic presentations, even if they're a bit too diplomatic or holistic rather than extreme and crazy.

wolfy

awsm
A little bit of self knowledge and it helps to know where people around you are coming from.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it effects largely how we interact with people and how we look to give things to the group, or simply to ourselves. Sexual also I thought can add a more mystical and radical element, whereas social and self-pres are more about the boring old real world, self-pres even more so, but hey, at least the socials aren't scared of everything and can give epic presentations, even if they're a bit too diplomatic or holistic rather than extreme and crazy.

respectfully, I suggest you read up a bit more, cuz most of this is off.

Sunny Ghost

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

How much research went into the discovery of instinctual variants?

I suppose part of my question is: Do we all not have qualities of all three?

What is the history of instinctual variants? How did this theory arise?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just had an epiphany this week wrt my dominant instinct.

I realized ive been fighting it my whole life (coz I was taught it was an immoral way of life) and that it is probably the cause why I struggle so with finding the motivation to do things that others find so easy to do. And that I easily have the motivation to do those same things when I look at them through the lens and motivation of my dominant instinct.

I'd say it gains you a *hell* of a lot, based on this.