• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One person's trash is another's treasure?

A

Anew Leaf

In light of these recent threads that discuss how one views their integration and disintegration points... it struck me that the place we are trying to ascend to is almost a rejection of where we come from. If I am 4 trying to reach the lofty 1 heights, but to a 1 the 4 is a place of despair, does it follow that I will begin to reject my 4ness if I attain these new heights? Or is a strange love child that is freshly formed from this new creation; a marriage to quell the townspeople from uprising in arms?

Thoughts?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been fascinated by the relationship between the inner child theory of enneagram that suggests that the core type is a defense mechanism sprung up around some sort of rejection of the native's truest state of being, which is their integration point. And the "missing piece" theory, which states that a direct movement to the integration point is impossible, and that we must instead master the lessons of the disintegration point in order to move forward.

Taken together, it seems to point to a couple of things. The first is the idea that we might reject the integration point, because we've rejected its traits in ourselves. The second is that growth in terms of the ennegram is not a point to point thing, but more a both, together kind of thing. It might be helpful to think of one's path to growth, then, as being a balance between the core type and the stress point with the integrated point as the fulcrum, rather than integrated<---core<----stress. The following third point is to understand the stress as the antithesis to the defenses of the core, rather than the wholeness of the integrated type.

I say all that to get to the idea that the process of growth in the enneagram is really about growing closer to your true self, than anything else. The core type is not the true self, the integration point is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say all that to get to the idea that the process of growth in the enneagram is really about growing closer to your true self, than anything else. The core type is not the true self, the integration point is.

Sounds like Queen Jennifer is a possibility after all, in the process of me embracing my inner Eight. Bwa ha ha.

worship.gif

I've definitely noticed a distinct difference in my personality over the last number of years. Much more willing to engage, fight, dominate if need be. The thing is, it's never comfortable. I don't feel like a core Eight where I want to be in charge; instead, I still feel like an empowered Five, as if I can now translate everything I know into action and make a difference in the world sometimes in direct ways.

A

Anew Leaf

Sounds like Queen Jennifer is a possibility after all, in the process of me embracing my inner Eight. Bwa ha ha.

worship.gif

I've definitely noticed a distinct difference in my personality over the last number of years. Much more willing to engage, fight, dominate if need be. The thing is, it's never comfortable. I don't feel like a core Eight where I want to be in charge; instead, I still feel like an empowered Five, as if I can now translate everything I know into action and make a difference in the world sometimes in direct ways.

Queen Jennyfaire of Pipsyhollow. I like the ring to that. ;)

Of course, then too, there is the idea of... are you becoming an 8? Or because you were finally able to embrace your true self, your inner confidence and ability to handle life is getting better via side-kick side-car?

So... what comes first? Our chickens or our egg?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Queen Jennyfaire of Pipsyhollow. I like the ring to that. ;)

Of course, then too, there is the idea of... are you becoming an 8? Or because you were finally able to embrace your true self, your inner confidence and ability to handle life is getting better via side-kick side-car?

So... what comes first? Our chickens or our egg?

I don't think I'll ever be an Eight, honestly. I'm not an instinctive person. Instinctive people trust their gut first and feel safest going with their gut, as opposed to subjecting it to some kind of processed code first to decide what to do.

I can simply emulate some instinctive behavior now because I in essence educated myself and thus feel mostly confident in my experience, not necessarily my instincts. To engage something on instinct still often feels like throwing myself off a cliff.

Unless it was pushing you off the cliff first, of course.
That, I can do in instinct.
(Cuz I know your winged rainbow pony will catch you)

S

Stansmith

You'll just be a 4 who actually expresses their creativity and talent in the real world, and actually works towards becoming somewhat like the person they envision themselves being.

A

Anew Leaf

I've been fascinated by the relationship between the inner child theory of enneagram that suggests that the core type is a defense mechanism sprung up around some sort of rejection of the native's truest state of being, which is their integration point. And the "missing piece" theory, which states that a direct movement to the integration point is impossible, and that we must instead master the lessons of the disintegration point in order to move forward.

It's really sad how quickly I want to latch my barnacle bottom onto the whale of the missing piece. I have always been that circle sans tiny pie wedge rolling about looking for my missing pie wedge. And various people enter my life and are all, AH AM YOUR MISSING PIE WEDGE!!! But I taste them and blech raspberry pie, or gah! French Silk or some other horrifying concoction, and away I roll again... All flaky longing and long ago congealed lemon pudding skin.

I definitely still have the lamentation style, but I reserve it for those lucky few I consider close enough to see that horrifying side of myself.

Taken together, it seems to point to a couple of things. The first is the idea that we might reject the integration point, because we've rejected its traits in ourselves. The second is that growth in terms of the ennegram is not a point to point thing, but more a both, together kind of thing. It might be helpful to think of one's path to growth, then, as being a balance between the core type and the stress point with the integrated point as the fulcrum, rather than integrated<---core<----stress. The following third point is to understand the stress as the antithesis to the defenses of the core, rather than the wholeness of the integrated type.

Meh. So in order to become whatever it is that a 1 is, I haz to also become a 2?! Watch out world, I am prepared to unleash the needy, greedy baby side of myself to latch upon the teat of humanity and suck.

D: In this case then let's pretend I am already a 2 which means I am supposed to be a 4 and voila! Success.

A

Anew Leaf

I don't think I'll ever be an Eight, honestly. I'm not an instinctive person. Instinctive people trust their gut first and feel safest going with their gut, as opposed to subjecting it to some kind of processed code first to decide what to do.

I can simply emulate some instinctive behavior now because I in essence educated myself and thus feel mostly confident in my experience, not necessarily my instincts. To engage something on instinct still often feels like throwing myself off a cliff.

Unless it was pushing you off the cliff first, of course.
That, I can do in instinct.
(Cuz I know your winged rainbow pony will catch you)

Ohhh, I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............. Hmm. That explains a lot then. I have good instincts and intuitions but I just don't trust them until after I have assessed them via how I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel about them. And honestly my instincts are usually way more accurate than my emoooooooooooshuuuuuuuuuuns, but here we are. The land of doesn't make sense.

And my INSTINCT told me not to trust you.
But my HEART told me to try and love you.
Fortunately my HEAD make sure I took flying lessons.

- end scene -

A

Anew Leaf

You'll just be a 4 who actually expresses their creativity and talent in the real world, and actually works towards becoming somewhat like the person they envision themselves being.

Oh. Well, how simple is this?

That explains a lot. So, you're welcome TypoC, you were my guinea pig of crazy. Next stop: the rest of the universe.