• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram: wings vs tritype

Is wing or tritype the better theory?

• Total voters

gromit

likes this
Do you think wings or tritype makes more sense going between theory and reality? (or something else)

...and why?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm going to say tritype because i have a gut feeling that we have a major type but then also variations of all the others. so a tritype would help represent all of you (head+gut+heart). the wing thing doesn't give a lot of information that is independent from the core type (but maybe it shouldn't, so). i dont know, i think someone should do an in-depth statistical analysis of the distribution of enneagram types so that we can actually start discussing some scientific facts here.

S

Stansmith

Wings and instinctual variant make the most difference. Tritype is basically "oh, this guy wears custom tailored suits and takes up alot of space, this other guy wears thriftshop clothes to job interviews and doesn't take up space"

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
so far, i havent found any evidence in my experience that would support the existence of tritype, so im putting the whole theory on same pedestal as astrology so i can focus on deepening my understanding of theories i actually know to be true. but yeah, its ture, we can definately mimick other enneagrasm, but there doesnt seem to be anything more to it than that.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry it took me so long to replace the private poll with a public one. If you already voted, please vote again.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why does it have to be either/ or?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well according to some video i watched they noticed people of the same tritype often have more in common with each other than people of the same core type and wing. even if the core type was different. i found that interesting...i don't know it to be true from personal experience tho.

i think it's cool to fine tune it a bit...or add more definition. like yeah i'm a 7w6 but i'm different in a lot of ways from this other 7w6 bcause i've got the two and nine thing going on...and also because i'm sx/sp instead of sx/so or whatever.

i think it's all interesting....also...i think it's super interesting that the whole forum seems to be more enneagram focused lately...i have been too. there's still so much to earn....and i love how it's all about growth.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can vouch for them both--

I see myself having the motivations of both my wings, and the 5 has shown itself more visibly throughout my life. I've observed the same phenomenon in others I've known and studied--you can see the characteristics of the surrounding types. Sometimes a wing is more apparent, but we do reflect the psychologies of the surrounding types.

I'm also a major proponent of tritype. It's dead-on accurate for me, and again, I've observed it in others I know (or have read biographies about, etc). It actually serves to answer quite a lot, so I will continue to use it.

(I am, however, still incredibly annoyed by the instincts and by Myers-Briggs.)

Anyway, count me as a vote for "both".

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not familiar with tritypes, but I can definitely feel that some types feel 'closer' than others. I don't really understand 8s and 6s at all.

I think my tritype is 459, and I share some qualities with 9s. However, once I started dating my INFP 9w1 boyfriend I realized I don't really get 9s that much.

I voted 'wings' :blush:

Wait... there's tritypes and there's also trifix or something right? Now I'm confused.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Wings.

Tri-type I believe is highly superficial and not overly useful if you're looking at enneagram as a system for growth. If you're looking for why on Saturdays you're more likely to eat a bagel over eggs, then by all means use tri-type. It was mainly created to sell tests/reports. Also, most tri-type combos tend to simply follow traditional integration/disintegration and wing combos. Myself as an example, 5-4-8 is basically just 5, a wing, and my integration point at 8.

Well, if I use what I've learned about myself as a measure of effectiveness or quality, then neither wins. Maybe that's because I haven't identified a wing or a tritype for myself with complete confidence.

Learning I was e9 was very useful. I became aware of a number of issues and problems that I wouldn't have thought about left to my own devices and that's been helpful to me.
Going by gut feeling, I'm not sure that the wing is all that helpful. It kind of gives your core personality an overall flavor but doesn't say much about underlying issues.
If tritype is a real thing on the other hand, it would be more useful because it would help people identify secondary defense mechanisms and sore spots.

I dunno. :huh:

gromit

likes this
I am pretty much on the same page as you [MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION]. Not sure which wing I am either. And I feel like I relate a lot to the 4-7-9 tritpe, but then again, I kind of feel like I relate to almost all of the enneagrams.

e9 party in the vagueness!

I am pretty much on the same page as you [MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION]. Not sure which wing I am either. And I feel like I relate a lot to the 4-7-9 tritpe, but then again, I kind of feel like I relate to almost all of the enneagrams.

e9 party in the vagueness!

I think the e9 tendency to identify with almost all the enneagrams may be why we like the idea of tritype. It's an opportunity to sample all the flavors really. I remember [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION] who is also a 9 is a big fan of tritype, not sure how she feels about wings, I think she likes those too. I feel like 7s also think the same way. Let's have ALL THE THINGS!!! :happy2:

Whereas types who value purity and incisiveness like 5s would think that was silly and inaccurate. Just look at Jock's response. :laugh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find tri types to be pretty informative.

I can usually detect differences between me and other 5w6s that could be explained with the fact that they have a different gut fix. Ime, (among 5s) correctly typed INTJs always have either E1 or E8 as their gut fix, while correctly typed INTPs always have E9. Those little differences can help eliminating the need for a mbti typing.

Wings seem arbitrary for a lot of people. I've seen a lot of 4s that don't have anything to do with 3s or 5s. They usually are more similar to either 6, 7 or 9.

A lot of wings don't even begin to make sense. 8 and 9 are pretty much opposites, so the wings are basically used to categorize them as "less extreme" versions. In the end, there's no real connection between them.

I find tri types to be pretty informative.

I can usually detect differences between me and other 5w6s that could be explained with the fact that they have a different gut fix. Ime, correctly typed INTJs always have either E1 or E8 as their gut fix, while correctly typed INTPs always have E9. Those little differences can help eliminating the need for a mbti typing.

Behold [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], an e9 INTJ.