• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hardest Type to be in The Enneagram

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are stuck in the past. Depression is a disorder. Nothing to do with type. Your "resources" don't mean anything. People with unhealthy states of mind are more likely to suffer from depression, regardless of type.

But by all means, keep on spouting cheap stereotypes.

Cite?

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 4. Jesus Christ, constant self-doubt and impossible standards never leave us alone :17425:

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Type 4. Jesus Christ, constant self-doubt and impossible standards never leave us alone :17425:

If you want to use single words and attribute them to types, self-doubt would be more "6" and impossible standards would be more "1." Neither of those would be 4 specific. Of course, types are beyond one-word phrases, but if you're going to use them, at least attribute them to the right types. :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Some characteristics of the 4-Romantic include an appreciation of aesthetics and creativity, compassion, humor, dignity, valuing what’s authentic, and the love of beauty. The other side of this type includes feeling depressed, being self-absorbed, behaving overly dramatically, longing, and being moralistic."
Are You an Enneagram Type 4, the Romantic? | Psychology Today

Hmmm, looks like it IS on topic, given all the Enneagram sources that link 4 to depression. To claim otherwise would be off topic, a matter for debate in some other thread.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personality - Causes of depression - Depression - Black Dog Institute
At the Institute we believe that personality and temperament contribute to depression, particularly non-melancholic depression. Certain personality types are more at risk of developing depression than others."

Would you like some more off-topic posts?

If you don't want off-topic posts (and I seriously doubt that you care about it), then don't post things that lead to thread drift.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And, here's some more off-topic for you:
Personality and Depression: Explanatory Models and Review of the Evidence
"A variety of models of the relation between personality and mood disorders have been proposed (e.g., Akiskal et al. 1983, M.H. Klein et al. 1993, Krueger & Tackett 2003). These proposed relations include: (a) personality and depressive disorders have common causes; (b) personality and depressive disorders form a continuous spectrum; (c) personality is a precursor of depressive disorders; (d) personality predisposes to developing depressive disorders; (e) personality has pathoplastic effects on depression; (f) personality features are state-dependent concomitants of depressive episodes; and (g) personality features are consequences (or scars) of depressive episodes. The distinctions between some of these accounts are subtle (cf. Kendler & Neale 2010), and other models, as well as combinations of these scenarios, are plausible. However, these seven models provide a useful conceptual framework for approaching the issue."

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
I gave you sources, which you did not read, so that you had a well to poison.

You don't even give me a chance to poison your well.

"Some characteristics of the 4-Romantic include an appreciation of aesthetics and creativity, compassion, humor, dignity, valuing what’s authentic, and the love of beauty. The other side of this type includes feeling depressed, being self-absorbed, behaving overly dramatically, longing, and being moralistic."
Are You an Enneagram Type 4, the Romantic? | Psychology Today

Hmmm, looks like it IS on topic, given all the Enneagram sources that link 4 to depression. To claim otherwise would be off topic, a matter for debate in some other thread.

You are perpetuating stereotypes on type 4. Your resources are outdated and are only looking to maximize web-traffic by mentioning overused medical conditions. I don't need to give you resources about this nonsense. Depression is a disorder. This isn't up for debate.

Linking a disorder to type is a cheap way to sell books. It sounds fancy. Disorders are trending. It is cheap and low. Show me the studies behind these conditions + type and you may be offering something to the discussion. This, however? Trash. The worst kind.

For you to keep on linking this disorder to type 4 is poison to the Enneagram.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"In the same vein, a 2002 study published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research found 74% of introverts made up the depression population. And a perfectionist personality has too been linked to depression and anxiety."
Am I Depressed? The Types Of People More Prone To Depression

- - - Updated - - -

You are perpetuating stereotypes on type 4. Your resources are outdated and only looking to maximize web-traffic by mentioning overused medical conditions. I don't need to give you resources about this nonsense. Depression is a disorder. This isn't up for debate.

Linking a disorder to type is a cheap way to sell books. It sounds fancy. Disorders are trending.

For you to keep on linking this disorder to type 4 is poison to the Enneagram.

You have no sources. Try again with some sources.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want to use single words and attribute them to types, self-doubt would be more "6" and impossible standards would be more "1." Neither of those would be 4 specific. Of course, types are beyond one-word phrases, but if you're going to use them, at least attribute them to the right types. :D

1 has very high standards.

It's 4 that has impossible standards for everything and everyone. Idealists after all.

I didn't mean to use single words to describe. I was talking from my own experience.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
1 has very high standards.

It's 4 that has impossible standards for everything and everyone. Idealists after all.
Impossible standards for everything and everyone is more 1ish. 4s are withdrawn and mostly focused on themselves; and wanting to embody their own ideals. It's an image type and a withdrawn type, not an others-focused type.

I didn't mean to use single words to describe. I was talking from my own experience.
Yeah I get you there. :)

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
"In the same vein, a 2002 study published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research found 74% of introverts made up the depression population. And a perfectionist personality has too been linked to depression and anxiety."
Am I Depressed? The Types Of People More Prone To Depression

- - - Updated - - -
A study based on the MBTI. I hope you are joking.

You have no sources. Try again with some sources.
No. Read what I said. Think. Reason for yourself. Make your own conclusions. Own your own world. Don't look at others to save your ass from responsibility. Your resources don't excuse your impact on the Enneagram community. Stop poisoning critical thinking. You are only hindering your own growth.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A study based on the MBTI. I hope you are joking.

No. Read what I said. Think. Reason for yourself. Make your own conclusions. Own your own world. Don't look at others to save your ass from responsibility. Your resources don't excuse your impact on the Enneagram community. Stop poisoning critical thinking. You are only hindering your own growth.

I'm great at critical thinking. However, you haven't done anything more than assert opinions. Assertions are not critical thinking. They are assertions.

Here's what matters. Not your opinions, but the facts. And the fact is that the Enneagram links type 4 to depression, whether I say so or not. If it's stereotyping, that stereotype has existed for decades, since before you were born. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
I'm great at critical thinking. However, you haven't done anything more than assert opinions. Assertions are not critical thinking. They are assertions.

Here's what matters. Not your opinions, but the facts. And the fact is that the Enneagram links type 4 to depression, whether I say so or not. If it's stereotyping, that stereotype has existed for decades, since before you were born. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Fact is that none of your resources can prove their assertions. This tells me that you are not good at critical thinking at all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fact is that none of your resources can prove their assertions. This tells me that you are not good at critical thinking at all.

You have no resources, just opinion.

The enneagram has linked type 4 to depression since before you were born. My critical thinking ability has nothing to do with it, "Wicked Human Being."

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
"Wicked Human Being."

maxresdefault.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
[MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] [MENTION=21197]Boogie man[/MENTION] Being a 4 doesn't mean you will be depressed. Further, being depressed (i.e. mentally ill) skews personality from the baseline of who a person is, and is thus more likely to mistype. Due to what 4's are about, a depressed person has a higher chance of mistyping as a 4.

I don't recall seeing any explicit studies on the association of enneagram types and mental illnesses, but I would be surprised if there were any statistically relevant correlations. Further, if it would be reliably possible to tease apart the warped thinking associated with mental illnesses and core personality.

I could see 4's have a higher grouping of individuals with depression. Depression as a guiding tool for determining one's enneagram type however, is not useful and shouldn't be used, so it really isn't a factor. Most of the negative health levels for all enneagram types suggest suffering from depression, and as such depression when it is used in enneagram is broad and not very type specific.

Ultimately, this is a rather wasteful discussion to try and draw explicit lines between mental illnesses and enneagram or mbti types since it's factually a moot/broad/murky point, and it largely only increases negative stereotypes.

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
You have no resources, just opinion.

The enneagram has linked type 4 to depression since before you were born. My critical thinking ability has nothing to do with it, "Wicked Human Being."

You are putting blind faith into your resources. An example of critical thinking would be to not do this, and to instead scrutinize the Enneagram. Nothing is holy, and the least of all your precious "resources". You are using them as nothing but an excuse not to think further, not to dig deeper. Stop cowering behind them.

I have my opinion, but you have nothing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are putting blind faith into your resources. An example of critical thinking would be to not do this, and to instead scrutinize the Enneagram. Nothing is holy, and the least of all your precious "resources". You are using them as nothing but an excuse not to think further, not to dig deeper. Stop cowering behind them.

I have my opinion, but you have nothing.

You are putting blind faith in your lack of critical thinking.