• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram for dummies, please?

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm fairly good at MBTI typing, but for some reason, enneagrams just confuse me, however much I try to understand them. According to some tests I've been taken, I'm type 5 - those are logical people, right? And that's pretty much all I know. Damn, I'm feeling stupid.

HELP!

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Enneagram is about motivations and what coping mechanisms you use in order to survive in life. Type 5 can be logical and intellectual although ultimately it's neither. 5s strive to achieve a great understanding of the world, some kind of ultimate truth if you will, because the motivation of the 5 is a feeling of being removed from their holy idea called omniscience which is exactly what it sounds like. As a way for the 5 to reunite with omniscience is thus to find the grand truth that explains everything and thus omniscience is attained.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohh. I thought this thread was asking for issuance of different enneagrams for actual stupid-dufuses. Lol

Seriously, I was a little perplexed first reading about enneagrams too. Just keep reading up and it will click. There is quite a lot to it. I wouldn't expect to get it all in one sitting.

This site provides a fairly concise detail of them:
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ohh. I thought this thread was asking for issuance of different enneagrams for actual stupid-dufuses. Lol
[/URL]

I'm always surprised in a positive way when someone doesn't think I'm stupid :happy2:

[MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION]
That makes sense in my case, I'm obsessively looking for things that will help me understand things better. Everybody says I know a lot and seem to think I'm a walking encyclopedia, but it feels like I know absolutely nothing because I don't have The Truth. :huh:

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now a test defines me as a 4w5 - what kind of person does that make me?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nothing. Tests are unreliable and you cannot find out your enneagram through tests. You need to read up on the theory.

S

Society

You have 3 centers:
shame (2 3 4), fear (5 6 7), anger (8 9 1)
you deal with each in one of 3 ways:
Deny (3 7 9), fixate (2 5 1), embrace (4 6 8)

(i am hoping i am remembering those correctly)

Find out which you use for each center. You can use the same dealing mechanism more then once.
Find out which of the 3 is your first.

(for Ti doms it is normal for tritype to be easier then just enneagram - more room to be broken down).

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have 3 centers:
shame (2 3 4), fear (5 6 7), anger (8 9 1)
you deal with each in one of 3 ways:
Deny (3 7 9), fixate (2 5 1), embrace (4 6 8)

(i am hoping i am remembering those correctly)

Find out which you use for each center. You can use the same dealing mechanism more then once.
Find out which of the 3 is your first.

(for Ti doms it is normal for tritype to be easier then just enneagram - more room to be broken down).

I think this would be most correct:

Shame: fixate (I easily become obsessed with mending my flaws; I spent my entire childhood and teens trying to fix a psychiatric diagnosis I had)
Fear: embrace (Strangely enough, I accept my fears and stay away from them as much as possible)
Anger: deny (I block out my anger and force myself not to act on it)

You get this more than I do; what should that mean?

S

Society

Shame: fixate (I easily become obsessed with mending my flaws; I spent my entire childhood and teens trying to fix a psychiatric diagnosis I had)
Fear: embrace (Strangely enough, I accept my fears and stay away from them as much as possible)

then assuming i remembered those correctly your tritype would be some combination of 2 6 9... One of them should be your default motivation mechanism (probably 6 since 2 & 9 are quite uncommon for INTPs).

I should also mention that i am no expert: i just had the same difficulty you are having. Enneagram doesnt serve itself to be broken down easily so tritype can provide the backdoor.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

This doesn't say anything at all. I think you should file out a test in the subforum if you want someone to help you get to your core type. Anyway, I get a sense of superego vibe here. Could be 1-ish or 6-ish.

S

Society

This doesn't say anything at all. I think you should file out a test in the subforum if you want someone to help you get to your core type. Anyway, I get a sense of superego vibe here. Could be 1-ish or 6-ish.

See this is a problem alot of TPs experience with the enneagram: we dont talk 'vibe'. Hampty dumpty needs to be broken to be put back together again. the enneagram doesnt break from the front so you walk around it till you find a backdoor. Tritype is just that.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was reading this fantastic description of etype and comparisons last night, I will see if i can find the link.. but what I found interesting was that it mentioned that 5s can be fairly oblivious to agenda and motives, which is right at home in egram. Your intp, you struggle with egram, prob are a 5.

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This doesn't say anything at all. I think you should file out a test in the subforum if you want someone to help you get to your core type.

Will do. I already asked for help to get my MBTI type settled (always knew it was INxP, now it's landed at INTP), so I guess someone who is better with enneagrams than I am will be able to decipher my weird self.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
See this is a problem alot of TPs experience with the enneagram: we dont talk 'vibe'. Hampty dumpty needs to be broken to be put back together again. the enneagram doesnt break from the front so you walk around it till you find a backdoor. Tritype is just that.

I think "vibe" typing is the most common among intuitives since you pick up on intuitive patterns but these patterns are often hard to explain to an outsider. And I think enneagram can easily be broken down if you start with core type motivations being the passions, vices and holy ideas and how they play out in each type.