• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are my enneagram variants?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are the biggest attention whore on the whole forum; [MENTION=15963]Aleda[/MENTION] claiming via usertitle to be the attention whore is outrageous, because it's clearly you - I'm probably the 2nd biggest attention whore on the forum, but you pass me by a mile in that chase!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You are the biggest attention whore on the whole forum; [MENTION=15963]Aleda[/MENTION] claiming via usertitle to be the attention whore is outrageous, because it's clearly you - I'm probably the 2nd biggest attention whore on the forum, but you pass me by a mile in that chase!

lol okay so I admit to being an attention whore, but how does that help you to nail my variants?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It does nothing to help you; I just made an observation... well, maybe it does help, because if you like attention, that could be a sign of so/sx or sx/so.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It does nothing to help you; I just made an observation... well, maybe it does help, because if you like attention, that could be a sign of so/sx or sx/so.

But that doesn't make sense either because [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is also an attention whore and he is clearly social last.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The reason that you can't do it is because you are not an intuitive and can't pick it up intuitively very easily. However, if I made a series of videos on how to do it, I think that you could pick it up fairly easily.
That was incredibly condescending. Just because I'm skeptical of relying almost 100% on my gut to decide on a person's type, doesn't mean I'm somehow inherently "bad" at it, because I'm an ESTJ. No, my skepticism of the entire concept comes from being an ESTJ, and wanting concrete evidence to back my claims. I could try to type people based on vibe, and have about the same success rate as you -- I mean, consider how many times you've questioned my type and been wrong! -- but I would not be comfortable with it, because it's a highly uneducated guess.

To be fair, any attempt to type someone without their having taken the test, is going to be guesswork to an extent. But if you have some concrete evidence to back up your claim, then your guesswork is going to be much more educated.

Reminds me of a really excellent quote from the recent ESTJ vs. ENTJ thread -- which I think describes a general SJ vs. NT difference:
Another thing that comes to mind. ENTJs are more risk tolerant, they ¨think¨ they know the likely outcome of something and will roll with risky decisions. ESTJs are more risk averse and wait until they ¨know¨for sure the course of action is correct. Outcome:

ESTJ´s are more likely to be correct but arrive at decisions slower. Additionally when they are wrong, they are often close to their intended target and the consequences are not as bad.

ENTJ´s are quick to decide and are very often right, but sometimes, they are catastrophically WRONG. Like not even in the ballpark wrong.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh... darn, that's a good point; at least it means you are extraverted then maybe I guess and/or have traits of narcissism/histrionic.

That makes you sound like a psychopath actually... you know what, I don't know what to say about your type, at least nothing you don't know.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

That was incredibly condescending. Just because I'm skeptical of relying almost 100% on my gut to decide on a person's type, doesn't mean I'm somehow inherently "bad" at it, because I'm an ESTJ. No, my skepticism of the entire concept comes from being an ESTJ, and wanting concrete evidence to back my claims. I could try to type people based on vibe, and have about the same success rate as you -- I mean, consider how many times you've questioned my type and been wrong! -- but I would not be comfortable with it, because it's a highly uneducated guess.

To be fair, any attempt to type someone without their having taken the test, is going to be guesswork to an extent. But if you have some concrete evidence to back up your claim, then your guesswork is going to be much more educated.

You just proved my point. You are going to type people based on objective facts, and I'm going to type people on intuition. This is basically what I just said.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You just proved my point. You are going to type people based on objective facts, and I'm going to type people on intuition. This is basically what I just said.
There's a huge difference between "can" and "want to". So no, it isn't what you said. But thanks for clarifying.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
There's a huge difference between "can" and "want to". So no, it isn't what you said. But thanks for clarifying.

Well you can pick up people's enneagram variants through just observing them in a video most of the time and I can show you what I mean if you want.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well you can pick up people's enneagram variants through just observing them in a video most of the time and I can show you what I mean if you want.
You have your method and I have mine. Like I said, I'd rather stick with the data.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You have your method and I have mine. Like I said, I'd rather stick with the data.

Well than neither one of us can truly say that we are right because of the cognitive functions that we are using. Btw, there is no way that you are an ENFP, I definitely don't think that you are anymore. You rely way too much on objective facts as opposed to intuition to come to conclusions which is more like an ESTJ. I probably originally thought you were an ESTJ because you likely have so/sx variants and they seem to be more reminiscent of the ENFP, and almost no Te dom is so/sx. However, there are always exceptions like Michael Douglas for instance. Michael Douglas is an ENTJ 8w7 so/sx.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Great One said:
I also don't have the intensity of an sx first. Plus, sx 6's are pretty damn counter-phobic where I am very phobic.

It also seems like the sx/so 6w7's tend to live their life like they are going to die the next day. They tend to have the "live for the moment" catch phrase. I am not like this at all. I am a very careful person.

I don't know that these things are necessarily true. For one, rumor has it that all sx-doms are "intense", but I don't think that is true in the sense that bright orange is intense. I think it's more true in the sense that deep violet is intense, dark red is intense, pine green is intense. Maybe some sx-doms are magenta on the color wheel, but for others of us, our intensity may manifest more in mental rumination, idealization, and strength of 1-to-1 bonding than in flashy fireworks - an intensity of heaviness instead of one of lightness. If anything characterizes sx accurately, I don't believe it's intensity of persona, but rather intensity of focus on one specific desire. Take the new The Great Gatsby movie that's coming out - the protagonist, Jay Gatsby, most certainly is an sx-first. The intensity of his focus on his idealization is so strong that it transforms his entire life, taking everything in its wake. But while the huge parties that he has unflaggingly encouraged roar in his brightly-lit mansion, he's standing alone outside on the dark edge of his lawn, in the hush of the night, looking out towards a faint green light in the distance. I really think that's more true to what sx is. It's not really our selves that are intense so much as our desires are intense. We immerse ourselves in intensity as much as possible because we are seeking that "high", but our satisfaction dissipates quickly, and we find ourselves again seeking more. If only we could become the whirlwind ourselves and always be satisfied.

As for phobia/counterphobia, like you said, if pressed to choose, I'd probably label myself as phobic. I tend to come out guns blazing when threatened, but my attitude is really more phobic overall. I have a pathological need for people to like me! :c

Anyway, I don't know that I think any 6 will live their life like they're going to die the next day. If a 6 is living like they're going to die the next day, they're going to be planning their funeral, getting their will in order, making sure they tell all the people important to them that they love them, and so on... 6s are autoprogrammed to account for the future, so I really have a hard time thinking about a 6 who lives for the moment. I don't think they would be a 6.

Both of which points are to say, I don't see ruling out 6 sx/so for any of those reasons.

As far as sp goes, I'm not sure how our treatment of sp needs lines up. I was sp-coddled as a child and thrust into sp awareness, too, and it's certainly been a learning curve, but for the most part sp needs just seem to me like another thing on a checklist - gotta have em, so I try to make them appealing and a pleasant experience. As a 6, I'm careful with money. I'm a natural saver, I pay off my credit card bills early, and if my bank account gets too low for my preference, I essentially stop spending whenever possible until it's back to normal. I've never really been completely oblivious to physical harm, but I don't generally take extra precautions like kneepads when skating or anything, either. I'm claustrophobic - I hate/am afraid of planes, elevators, tight passageways, being twisted up in blankets, and being caught in any other sort of small space. I worry about crashing when flying, elevators breaking and falling, freak car accidents, losing my temper at work or getting caught doing something stupid and getting fired, and sudden medical emergencies - all things with low likelihoods but that would cause devastating damage in my life.

enneagram.blogspot.com said:
"If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."

This is very accurate for me, and it's sort of nuanced in the sense that if I can maintain position/inclusion, I can continue and/or escalate the immersion and experiences that I desire. It's like if I'm not a well-liked, influential person in the world, then I'm never going to be able to make positive change in the world, or enjoy myself in my relationship by living out the roles I idealize, so I have to keep up that position/inclusion. But it's not stressful, really, it's actually quite natural. I remember reading somewhere that your 2nd instinct tends to be your "easiest" one, because it doesn't tend to give you trouble. Your first instinct is typically your rumination point, and your last instinct your tripping point, but the middle one is sort of autopilot. Like my sx instinct is me spending the whole day running high anxiety if there's conflict in my relationship, my sp instinct is me forgetting that I left my keys in the car, and my so instinct just paddles on along.

At this point I really don't have any clear direction to point you in, instinct-wise, unfortunately. I think the point about looking at your sacrifices is a good one - what do you tend to give up first, and what do you need first? You can see it with me (sx-first) versus my boyfriend (sp-first) - it's all about the way we see priorities "stacking", literally: I see my relationship and my passions as top priority: if I'm not engaging in them, then there's no point in doing anything else, because I'm not fulfilling myself. Then comes my position/inclusion: if I'm not included, then I can't continue to enjoy my passions, because they only exist in the context of the social world. My practical needs end up last. But for him, it's totally flipped around. He sees his practical needs as coming first because without food, water, and shelter, he can't even exist physically - so in his mind that has to be first priority. What instinct do you feel is the most crucial to your daily operation? When you're thinking "I need", what are you usually needing?

You just proved my point. You are going to type people based on objective facts, and I'm going to type people on intuition.

Meh. You type people on facts, too, you just are starting with the grand-scale gestalt created by a specific arrangement of objective facts. Ne piggybacks on Si and vice versa; Ne requires Si points to traverse and Si requires a Ne grid to fix into. EJCC's view of things is not really all that different from ours. She just starts from the opposite end.

Last edited:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that doesn't make sense either because [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is also an attention whore and he is clearly social last.

this is one of the reasons I reconsidered Sx/Sp. as you said, I think Sp/Sx can be conceited attention whores too though :newwink:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, I'm social last too but I don't attention-whore, not consciously anyway. People just tend to pay attention to/notice me because I'm sx first.

Nicki

Retired

You're a liar!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

I don't know that these things are necessarily true. For one, rumor has it that all sx-doms are "intense", but I don't think that is true in the sense that bright orange is intense. I think it's more true in the sense that deep violet is intense, dark red is intense, pine green is intense. Maybe some sx-doms are magenta on the color wheel, but for others of us, our intensity may manifest more in mental rumination, idealization, and strength of 1-to-1 bonding than in flashy fireworks - an intensity of heaviness instead of one of lightness. If anything characterizes sx accurately, I don't believe it's intensity of persona, but rather intensity of focus on one specific desire. Take the new Gatsby movie that's coming out - Jay Gatsby most certainly is an sx/so. The intensity of his focus is so strong that it transforms his entire life, taking everything in its wake, and he utilizes the social sphere as an arena to play out his obsession. He is an intense person, but remember that while huge parties roar in his mansion, he's standing alone outside in his lawn, staring at a faint green light in the distance. I really think that's more true to what sx/so is because we're always yearning - even if he were inside, he'd be trying to get that one woman away from the crowd. It's not really our selves that are intense so much as our desires are intense.

As for phobia/counterphobia, like you said, if pressed to choose, I'd probably label myself as phobic. I tend to come out guns blazing when threatened, but my attitude is really more phobic overall. I have a pathological need for people to like me! :c

Anyway, I don't know that I think any 6 will live their life like they're going to die the next day. If a 6 is living like they're going to die the next day, they're going to be planning their funeral, getting their will in order, making sure they tell all the people important to them that they love them, and so on... 6s are autoprogrammed to account for the future, so I really have a hard time thinking about a 6 who lives for the moment. I don't think they would be a 6.

Both of which points are to say, I don't see ruling out 6 sx/so for any of those reasons.

As far as sp goes, I'm not sure how our treatment of sp needs lines up. I was sp-coddled as a child and thrust into sp awareness, too, and it's certainly been a learning curve, but for the most part sp needs just seem to me like another thing on a checklist - gotta have em, so I try to make them appealing and a pleasant experience. As a 6, I'm careful with money. I'm a natural saver, I pay off my credit card bills early, and if my bank account gets too low for my preference, I essentially stop spending whenever possible until it's back to normal. I've never really been completely oblivious to physical harm, but I don't generally take extra precautions like kneepads when skating or anything, either. I'm claustrophobic - I hate/am afraid of planes, elevators, tight passageways, being twisted up in blankets, and being caught in any other sort of small space. I worry about crashing when flying, elevators breaking and falling, freak car accidents, losing my temper at work or getting caught doing something stupid and getting fired, and sudden medical emergencies - all things with low likelihoods but that would cause devastating damage in my life.

Well you'd definitely be the most strange sx/so 6w7 that I've ever met. I don't think that I have ever met a phobic one. I'm not questioning your type though. However, I don't know if I can see myself as sx/so though. I really don't really think that I have that intense of a focus on anything. I'm not really sure how much of an intense person that I am though. I will have to think about this.

At this point I really don't have any clear direction to point you in, instinct-wise, unfortunately. I think the point about looking at your sacrifices is a good one - what do you tend to give up first, and what do you need first? You can see it with me (sx-first) versus my boyfriend (sp-first) - it's all about the way we see priorities "stacking", literally: I see my relationship and my passions as top priority: if I'm not engaging in them, then there's no point in doing anything else, because I'm not fulfilling myself. Then comes my position/inclusion: if I'm not included, then I can't continue to enjoy my passions, because they only exist in the context of the social world. My practical needs end up last. But for him, it's totally flipped around. He sees his practical needs as coming first because without food, water, and shelter, he can't even exist physically - so in his mind that has to be first priority. What instinct do you feel is the most crucial to your daily operation? When you're thinking "I need", what are you usually needing?

Just out of curiosity, what would I be giving up if I gave up SO needs? I think that I know what I'd be giving up but I'm not really sure. However, going by my understanding of the situation, I would say this:

I would not give up self-pres needs no matter what.....I need to feel safe, I need food, I need water, I need shelter, and I don't have many of those at the current moment because I'm waiting for my student loans to come in and I'm going FUCKING NUTS! It's really fucking me up mentally! Self-preservation needs tend to be what I long for the most. I can not go without these!

I would not easily give up relationships and closeness either. I really need to feel close to a woman. I fall in love very easily and it seems like I can come home at the end of the day, and hold a gorgeous woman in my arms, then I just feel complete. There's just nothing better than this. I'm not really sure that I want a committed relationship right now but I definitely like to feel that bonding and that intensity with a woman. I just get this really "hot" feeling when I am around my significant other: it feels amazing and you almost get this butterflies in your stomach feeling. It's like simply being in the presence of that particular person makes you just feel free.

If I understand SO need correctly, I would give those up in a heartbeat. I really could give less of a damn about belonging to a group, and keeping up with social trends. I do have a strong need for status though and recognition, but I wonder if that could just be related to my strong 3w2 fix? I also like to keep up with celebrity gossip and whatnot but that's probably just because I used to take a lot of acting classes and wanted to be a famous actor for a while and maybe that's just me living in fantasy land pretending that I had that kind of fame when I watch these types of shows.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would not easily give up relationships and closeness either. I really need to feel close to a woman. I fall in love very easily and it seems like I can come home at the end of the day, and hold a gorgeous woman in my arms, then I just feel complete. There's just nothing better than this. I'm not really sure that I want a committed relationship right now but I definitely like to feel that bonding and that intensity with a woman. I just get this really "hot" feeling when I am around my significant other: it feels amazing and you almost get this butterflies in your stomach feeling. It's like simply being in the presence of that particular person makes you just feel free.

Just as a sidenote - being in love is not the same as sx.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
you come across as So/Sx or So/Sp because you have a voice like a Southern salesman, but, once one actually gets to know you, it's clear you value Sp and Sx far over So. I'm going with Sp/Sx~Decadent for you at the moment

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Just as a sidenote - being in love is not the same as sx.

Yes, but it seems that love, dating, relationships, intensity, and sex seem to be a central theme for the sexual variant.

[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
you come across as So/Sx or So/Sp because you have a voice like a Southern salesman, but, once one actually gets to know you, it's clear you value Sp and Sx far over So. I'm going with Sp/Sx~Decadent for you at the moment

Makes sense.