• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confession

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tri types ftw

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: I never understood the wing concept.. Everyone just sort of nudged 8w7, but I never really got along well with either 7 or 9 being a wing.. it really didnt make sense that those were the only ones that could be wings. I think [MENTION=1449]Magic Poriferan[/MENTION] said it best in that there really isnt much rhyme or reason as to why the "8" is in the position it is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Enneagram wings are a bit silly.

Infidel.

I think they were a tag on, rather than something that developed normally. IOW, a silly picture with connecting lines determined what the personalities should be like, rather than the principles being derived through actual cross-sectioning of demographics of human beings to come up with natural and equal divisions in how humans behave.

"Oh look. I'm not a perfect fit for E6. But some of the other types are contradictory, but 5 and 7 not quite so bad. Let's just say wings have to be wings, cuz the picture says so."

G

garbage

Naranjo's Character and Neurosis has a diagram that maps DSM and other personality disorders to a circle, then maps Enneatypes to that same circle. They're intended to portray a continuum, through which the layout of the types (and thus the wings) kind of make sense--on that continuum, one can be placed 'between' types and described that way.

Tritypes kind of make sense if you think there's merit to separating out the heart, gut, and head types.

Not saying that I actually.. you know, agree or disagree.. but there's at least some logic there that can be taken or left.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a theory that we could have wings from types further away from ours like a 3w8 or a 5w7.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just treat the wing as an auxilliary function. 5(Ti)-7(Ne)..see? I know I don't follow the adjacent-only wing but I'm thinking since 6 is Si, 5w6 is referring to Ti-Si focused INTPs, and 5w4 referring to Ji-focused INTPs. Not sure about enneagram, but having two divisible cognitive preferences(dom-aux) makes sense to me.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's kinda like this:

A 3 who is more charming than emo = 3w2
A 3 who is more emo than charming = 3w4

A 5 who is a bit emo = 5w4
A 5 who is a hyper rational = 5w6 :gleam:

A 7 who thinks he's a badass = 7w8
A 7 who gets along with everyone = 7w6

It doesn't get much deeper than that.

T

The Iron Giant

That's because they are. It's an adaptation. But enneagram is silly to start with, because we're all human beings. Then you're breaking us down into nine categories, this breaks each of those into two more, then you have further spinoffs like tritypes and unconventional wings (2w9, etc). It's all ways of describing the natural human variations within the nine types even further.

I enjoy wings and tritypes and instinctual variants because it feels like a game. And I love to categorize things. I'm a sortin' fool. And I'm sorta a fool, too.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Tri types ftw

I thought I was the only one 0.0

I do take wings seriously though, but I can identify with 3 and 9 WAY more than 6 or 4. 4 is the emotional side that i hide from even myself sometimes, and 6 is a nagging worried voice in the back of my head, but 3 and 9 are a lot more part of me.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Oh, I see, you're too good for them, mmmh?

FFBsZ.jpg

W

WALMART

I believe they are necessary to 'accurately' give someone insight into their personality. To stick to one Enneagram type would be like saying I am 'Ne-dom' and then not identifying anything further, such as the distinction between ENFP and ENTP.

I have oft thought tri-type theory to be silly, but in the context I have just provided, it almost might make sense... hm.

I wholeheartedly agree. However I also think that the Enneagram is rather silly.

So is MBTI, and tarot cards, and psychology in general.

Yet it helps many.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I waver between thinking Enneagram is way too silly and wishy-washy to be at all realistic, and thinking it's pretty useful and fantastic. It has certainly helped me pinpoint some things. But I kind of agree about the wings. I don't identify heavily with either 6w5 or 6w7 (started a thread about this recently!) so I've sort of concluded that either it doesn't mean much, or I have fairly balanced wings.

I really think tri-type is silly though. It's the ultimate way to fudge your type.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's because they are. It's an adaptation. But enneagram is silly to start with, because we're all human beings. Then you're breaking us down into nine categories, this breaks each of those into two more, then you have further spinoffs like tritypes and unconventional wings (2w9, etc). It's all ways of describing the natural human variations within the nine types even further.

I enjoy wings and tritypes and instinctual variants because it feels like a game. And I love to categorize things. I'm a sortin' fool. And I'm sorta a fool, too.

Ditto this entire post.

To be fair to the wings, all theoretical systems of categorization are ultimately arbitrary. Numbers are arbitrary. The alphabet is arbitrary. As far as I'm concerned, if you find the system useful, keep using it. If you don't, either change it or abandon it.

Personally, I find 6w7 a good identifier because I tend to overcommit (6) and then flee (7). Or to get really excited about an idea (7) and then start questioning it (6). Or to begin by rejecting an outside idea (6) and then finding it solid and wholeheartedly embracing it (7). And just overanalysis in general.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's kinda like this:

A 3 who is more charming than emo = 3w2
A 3 who is more emo than charming = 3w4

A 5 who is a bit emo = 5w4
A 5 who is a hyper rational = 5w6 :gleam:

A 7 who thinks he's a badass = 7w8
A 7 who gets along with everyone = 7w6

It doesn't get much deeper than that.

This is how I understand it.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

I think it would be fairer to say that it breaks us down into 9 archetypes. Ultimately the diagrammatic representation of the enneagram is a circle on which you can make your mark (currently) anywhere on its circumference. What it isn't is 9 separate sectors. It's weakness isn't the 9 archetypes but the assumption that there is a gradation of personality right around the circumference of the circle. What I believe is that someone brighter than me needs to evaluate what's really in the inside of the circle given that its very centre must represent the most rounded personality possible.