• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Surprising Enneagram Four Description

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I came across something today that surprised me. It was a tiny description of self-preservational fours. I hadn't realized that fours could actually be very present-focused and (physical) comfort-focused. Perhaps it was a bad description. I don't know. Anyway, here it is:

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-4.html said:
Self-Preservation 4 - Seeking Safety/Comfort

Udit Patel "The Sensualist (Ichazo's "Reckless/Dauntless")"

Self-Preservation Fours focus their envy and hypersensitivity on their concerns about their immediate environment and on their quest for physical comfort. They attempt to deal with emotional issues by surrounding themselves with as much luxury and beauty as they can afford, by indulging in their favorite foods, and by giving themselves "consolation prizes" for their suffering. They might be disappointed about a job situation or a failing relationship, and so stay up late at night drinking expensive cognac and watching a favorite movie. Self-Pres Fours are particularly sensitive to comfort issues—the temperature of a room, the quality of the lighting, the humidity or lack of it, the weather—all produce powerful emotional responses. Self-Pres Fours become frustrated that the environment is insufficiently attuned to their personal needs. Attempts to control the environment and self-indulgence in rich foods, drink, drugs, or other sensual distractions can exhaust Self-Pres Fours, leaving them unable to function well outside of their own narrowing world.

I just wanted some comments/feedback. So far my understanding of the enneagram system and each of its types extends only to what I've been able to read on the internet so I'd love feedback about this or actually anything about fours in general. Fours are one of the types that catch my interest...they seem sort of different in a very appealing way.

Thanks.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Moved to MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hmm I suppose I should go find an enneagram forum...

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I find it quite alarming. And here I thought I was improving.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I have some nasty habits as an sp 4. I watch excessive amounts of anime, eat a lot of fast food, become obsessed about getting the room the right temperature, etc. So that description is fairly accurate. However, those things decrease significantly the more socially involved I am.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I concur. I have the same issues sometimes. When I'm stressed out or upset, I'll go get myself a book or candy or something "because I deserve it for having gone through all that mess." It's not as negative as it sounds, though. It certainly improves my morale and makes me want to get out of the mess I'm in. I also can get hypersensitive to my environment to the point that I can get an anxiety attack from too much sensation (when it might be something as small as the AC unit making a humming noise or someone tapping their foot...it'll drive me mad).

And as with Kiddo, the more energy I have put out of myself, the less these things occur.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The sp is something I've seen in Fours I've known. No surprise there. :) The ones I knew under stress could easily become absorbed in things with lots of sensation (rich visuals, rich foods, anything with exquisite sensation of some sort... it was an escapist coping mechanism for them). I even saw them spend money they didn't have (which seems backwards for an self-pres, but it's true) to satisfy the need for consolation through sensation.

As point of contrasts, Fives can sometimes go the opposite way if they're sp, and make their lives stark to reduce dependence on the external.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sounds familiar.

I have a tendency to cycle between seeking physical comfort and safety and being absolutely reckless. I am either deeply rooted in my body or not there at all -- there's very little in between.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any socionics fans out there?

This description sounds very socionics Si.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
I concur. I have the same issues sometimes. When I'm stressed out or upset, I'll go get myself a book or candy or something "because I deserve it for having gone through all that mess." It's not as negative as it sounds, though. It certainly improves my morale and makes me want to get out of the mess I'm in. I also can get hypersensitive to my environment to the point that I can get an anxiety attack from too much sensation (when it might be something as small as the AC unit making a humming noise or someone tapping their foot...it'll drive me mad).

And as with Kiddo, the more energy I have put out of myself, the less these things occur.

Well, as a 4, I would disagree that we are "materialistic" and surround ourselves with as much luxury as we can afford. I've never heard that. And I'm totolly not that. However, I am sensitive emotionally. And thus, do pamper myself with some sort of creature comfort if I am hurt. But, don't most people? You're hurt. So what do you do? You try and comfort yourself. Usually that includes some creature comfort. So, I'm rather disappointed in this description. I think it's inaccurate and overgeneralized.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, as a 4, I would disagree that we are "materialistic" and surround ourselves with as much luxury as we can afford. I've never heard that. And I'm totolly not that. However, I am sensitive emotionally. And thus, do pamper myself with some sort of creature comfort if I am hurt. But, don't most people? You're hurt. So what do you do? You try and comfort yourself. Usually that includes some creature comfort. So, I'm rather disappointed in this description. I think it's inaccurate and overgeneralized.

Are you a self preservational four?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When i am stressed i definitely turn to some of the things mentioned, a big tub of ice cream or a large pizza usually solves 99% of my problems.

oh and i am an sp 4

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you a self preservational four?

Oh dear. So sorry. I don't really know. Where can you find that out? I would think that I am. I certainly do whatever I can to preserve and protect my feelngs. I am a 4x3, which is an Enneagram type I don't come across much. I'm very ambitious, like the 4x3 description says. But not materialistic. Although I do surround myself with beautiful things, like paintings, pottery, flowers, etc. My furniture is high priced, because I have them custom made. They have to be original, you know.;)

Edit: Okay I took an Enneagram test and here are the results:

You are most likely a type 4 (the Individualist) with 3 wing

Sexual variant

Type 4 SX
Type 6 SX
Type 2 SP
Type 7 SO
Type 3 SX
Type 9 SX
Type 1 SP
Type 8 SO
Type 5 SP

So I guess I'm an SX four. I'll have to add that to my sig.

Enneagram Type 4 - The Individualist

Instinctual variants

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To all the SP 4s out there is this statement true for you?

Self-Pres Fours are particularly sensitive to comfort issues—the temperature of a room, the quality of the lighting, the humidity or lack of it, the weather—all produce powerful emotional responses. Self-Pres Fours become frustrated that the environment is insufficiently attuned to their personal needs

Last edited:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I feel best when it is raining. If it is too hot, too cold, too dry, too humid, too sunny, etc. then I feel moody and have much lower tolerance for other people. Perhaps my affection for the rain is indicative of my personal needs.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the feedback guys. =)

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
I’m slightly more 5 than 4, but score high enough on 4 for it to be my main type and can identify with many 4 issues. I’m a lot more disciplined about diet today, but when I was younger I did my share of indulging in rich foods and substances including alcohol, cigarettes, chewing tobacco (which you’d never guess by my clean cut appearance). I was trying to generate a warm, glowing, comforting substance inside of my emptiness and lonliness, like building a fire in cold darkness. I’m one of those people who’s perpetually slender no matter what or how much I eat, but my problem is that overeating makes me feel empty and depressed after I’m finished. I can get high while I’m stuffing myself then deflated afterward when it doesn’t work and I still felt empty inside. Mood stabilization is important for 4s, who try to hold onto intense feelings.

4s fear lack of substance, that they are nothing. Materialism for SP 4s is not about status like for 3’s, but about substance. They want to be exceptional and unique, like their favorite work of art or music, and want to see this reflected on their style and surroundings. They hate the idea of being seen as generic. They imagine that other people they idealize have the treasured qualities they fear they lack. You might know a 4 and think, “this person is really fascinating and enigmatic,” but the 4 doesn’t always feel that way and often dreads that the opposite is true.

The paradox is that 4’s feel that “nobody gets them”, yet they fear being average, nothing special. But if they were really average, they would be easy to "get".