• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

certain religions attracting certain types

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] which is why I still don't believe that because my denomination is an evangelical denomination and I am very sure I am not mistyped. That's just stereotyping. Besides, they are just doing the study of people in the UK, I assume.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] which is why I still don't believe that because my denomination is an evangelical denomination and I am very sure I am not mistyped. That's just stereotyping. Besides, they are just doing the study of people in the UK, I assume.

That's why it's merely "correlation" and not "deterministic cause and effect." Many of the correlations mentioned above are pretty weak... but they do seem to exist (the Big Five ones are pretty well researched). In any case, one person not following the expected correlation doesn't say much one way or the other about the validity of the correlation itself. I'd also argue that reporting correlations is not, in itself, stereotyping... although correlations can certainly be used to fuel stereotyping.

I did find another MBTI religious study here, which correlation Sensing with conservative beliefs and Feeling with charismatic beliefs.

There's still another recent study "Psychological Type and Student Views of the Origins Debate: Understanding the Culture Wars" (JPT, July 2011) which used 250 University of Wisconsin students as subjects. The article states:

Embree said:
Perspectives on Creationism vs. Evolution vary by psychological type, with F, especially SF, associated with traditional theistic Creation, and T, especially NT, associated with non-theistic Evolution.

and, thankfully, a pretty good list of MBTI and religious belief references:

Embree said:
Considerable research indicates a strong link between Feeling (particularly SF and FJ) and religion, especially conservative religion (Bramer, 1995; Childerston, 1985; Delis-Bulhoes, 1990; Francis et al., 2001; Francis et al., 2007; Greenfield, 1969; Harmon, 1982; Mcdaid et al., 1991; Myers & McCaulley, 1985; Oswald & Kroeger, 1998; Rehak, 1998; Ross, 1993; Ross, 1995; Ruppart, 1985). In light of this persistent finding, it is not surprising that Creationism was related to F, SF, and FJ in the present study. Individuals in these regions of the type table are often represented as tradi- tionalists who show strong deference to prevailing cul- tural norms and views (Keirsey, 1998).

Which I found a little surprising, given my own Church of Christ upbringing in Texas. I would have described it as heavily SJ, but somewhat more weighted toward Thinking than Feeling. It also had this paragraph in it, which I make some sense to me:

Embree said:
The relationship between IP and Theistic Evolution may represent the tendency of these types to suspend judgment and to remain open-minded about possibilities. The Perceiving preference may contribute a tendency to see validity in both sides of an argument, while Introversion may contribute a tendency to ponder matters carefully and thoroughly before deciding. In this light, IP types may serve as a psychological bridge between types that are more prone to adopt culturally extreme (creationist or secular evolutionist) viewpoints. Myers et al. (1998) suggest regarding the reasoning of these types: “For new information to be effective . . . it must address the logic or values of their dominant judging function or it will be rejected as irrelevant” (P46). For some IP subjects in this study, the information and arguments traditionally presented by creationist and secular evolutionist spokespersons may not pass this test, leading these individuals to avoid premature closure about the origins debate or to resist the notion that faith in God and acceptance of evolution are necessarily opposed. They may be more likely to adopt a “both-and” approach that views the mental frameworks of empirical science and religion/spirituality as equally and simultaneously valid (Weil, 2005).

Regardless, I think it's pretty safe to say that many factors influence religious affiliation. Interestingly, there's some evidence that early in life it's social environment, but later in life genetics pay a greater role.

[Apologies for going on about MBTI stuff in an Enneagram thread.]

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where did the egg come from?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm guessing 8s belong to the Church of Satan. They have some pretty badass beliefs.

And 3s are all in Scientology for some reason, probably because it's a pyramid scheme, and 3s love those (I'm kidding).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where did the egg come from?
The Easter Bunny.

I am a 5w6 and find paganism is the only religion/spirituality I can follow honestly without gratuitous mental gymnastics. As a scientist I appreciate how the celebrations, symbols, and the underlying mythos are rooted in the physical world.

Pansophie

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
- Christianity in general seems to appeal to 1s and 2s
- Catholicism specifically is pretty 1-ish

I am a cultural Catholic with Neoplatonism and Hermeticism as my main philosophical interests. I am strongly a 5.
I also have many friends with similar backgrounds to mine, who are very interested in rational Esotercism, and Christian Mysticism who are also type 5s.

All 5 really means is heavy questioning and scientific rubric. This can exist in either extreme. For example, the entire country of Norway. They have simultaneously the highest proportions of both mystics AND atheists. If we could type countries, Norway would probably be a 5!

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a cultural Catholic with Neoplatonism and Hermeticism as my main philosophical interests. I am strongly a 5.
I also have many friends with similar backgrounds to mine, who are very interested in rational Esotercism, and Christian Mysticism who are also type 5s.

All 5 really means is heavy questioning and scientific rubric. This can exist in either extreme. For example, the entire country of Norway. They have simultaneously the highest proportions of both mystics AND atheists. If we could type countries, Norway would probably be a 5!

There's a chart somewhere on Enneagraminstitute.com of the most common types in certain countries. Japan has a lot of 5s and 6s, USA has a lot of 3s and 7s, and France has a lot of 4s

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4s: most likely to be confused :blink:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6w5 and agnostic. So, maybe if 5s are attracted to atheism, then people close to, but not quite, 5 are attracted to agnosticism, hehe.

I can see the 5-6 connection to agnosticism. Both types I think like some proof before believing something and are naturally skeptical. I'm a 5w6 agnostic.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the stereotypical seinfeldian woody allen type new york jew would be 6w5 or 5w6.
jewish mothers are 2s or 1w2

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im a pagan and 4w5...not sure what you think 4s are supposed to be attracted to, but I prefer spirituality over religion any day. I also use the term pagan loosely for that matter, as you could say Im more of an agnostic witch :shrug:

A

Anew Leaf

I grew up in a Catholic family, and my family members are all quite Catholic in their own ways.

I have done my own thing in regards to spirituality. I distilled down all of the extra stuff into one simple truth as I see it: God is love. I work at living my life in a loving fashion. I am hugely imperfect, and I just slug away doing the best that I can.

This works for me. I tried hard to dance the line between making up what I wanted, and figuring out what the most important element I think is.

In case you care: I am type 4.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5w6, atheist. Raised as a Christian.
5s seem to be naturally attracted to atheism/agnosticism, I think, but environmental influences count a lot.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
had a conversation with a 6w7 today about religion, got me thinking about 6s and agnosticism. arent 6s supposed to be dependant on something bigger than themselves? as far as I know agnosticism doesn't provide that.