• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

1w9 vs. 5w6

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm fairly new to Enneagram and the results of various online tests I have done have been for the most part inconclusive - I score about equally on 5 and 1 as my highest with a leaning towards 5, and reading into the wings I associate most with 5w6 and 1w9. I understand that both are quite common for INTJs and can superficially appear very similar, in that both are generally rational, stoic and cynical perfectionists that keep emotion on a tight leash. I can definitely relate to the undercurrent of judgment and anger that is often mentioned with respect to 1s and especially 1w9s, but in terms of the triads I find more in common with the thinking triad. I have not yet looked much into instinctual variants.

What are some key differences or motivations between the two? How might the two act differently in a given hypothetical scenario?

For example, can 1s be nihilists/expressivists and deny the objective existence of moral truth, yet still subscribe to a set of morals because they are desirable and maintain societal function, or would that be a core betrayal of their values? I have a lot in common with the 1w9 description other than that I do not feel a strong drive to act righteously for the sake of doing good or improving the world, rather because there are rational reasons to, and because a system of ethics and compassion likely evolved in the context of human society because it is cohesive and beneficial.

What are some fictional examples of both types? Preferably also INTJs from anime because that is what I am most familiar with. One reference I could find was of Vicious from Cowboy Bebop as an INTJ 1w9 and Kanda from D.Gray-man as INTJ (but what Enneagram?), but more would be very helpful.

Thank you for any information and assistance.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are some fictional examples of both types? Preferably also INTJs from anime because that is what I am most familiar with. One reference I could find was of Vicious from Cowboy Bebop as an INTJ 1w9 and Kanda from D.Gray-man as INTJ (but what Enneagram?), but more would be very helpful.

Thank you for any information and assistance.
Have you ever watched Death Note?
Most people agree that Light is a 1w9, L is a 5w4, and Near is a 5w6.
I do not feel a strong drive to act righteously for the sake of doing good or improving the world, rather because there are rational reasons to, and because a system of ethics and compassion likely evolved in the context of human society because it is cohesive and beneficial.
Sounds 1w9-ish to me.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you ever watched Death Note?
Most people agree that Light is a 1w9, L is a 5w4, and Near is a 5w6.

Yes, I'm familiar with it. Thank you, that is quite helpful.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A breif description between the two:

1w9
Ones with this wing can have an aura of 9-like calm although eruptions of temper are possible. Often have a detached quality and can be mistaken for Fives. Tendency to formulate and embrace principles that have little human content, but this is also their strength. When awakened, may be objective and balanced, cool and moderate in their evaluations. More entranced, might have perfectionistic expectations that are not humanly possible to meet. May hold social or political opinions that are supremely logical but ultimately heartless and draconian. The rules come first no matter what. Can be merciless or unwittingly cruel. Often a little colorless in their personal appearance. Many Ones with this wing are plain dressers, preferring functional clothing that is appropriate to context but not flashy. The emphasis on function may extend to their general lifestyle. Practicality is highly valued.

5w6
The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/

1w9
1w9s see allowing unnecessary self-interested emotions as detracting from their objectivity. They have a greater focus on abstract and impersonal ideals that can withstand the test of time and endure an imperfect world just as they themselves consistently "withstand" and "endure". They are more stoic and cerebral and may theorize about how things should inherently be, the "perfect" virtues to adhere to, the "perfect" way to live by. It's no accident that many philosophers are 1w9s as constructing systems of thought based on their "moral postulates" is textbook 1w9 thinking, starting with assumptions they "just know"(instinctive) to be right(valuing/feeling) to build systems of thought(thinking). The principal author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, was also a 1w9. The downside of their stronger thinking function compared to their two-winged siblings is experiencing more internal conflicts between what they "reason out"(thinking) and what they "just know to be true"(instinctive). This causes their superego to step in more and lead to a more repressed personality that makes them harder on themselves than others. Spock is a fictional 1w9 and Vulcan history is also very 1w9: "By the 4th century, Vulcan was tearing itself apart. Their rampant emotions combined with a hostile warrior culture led to many wars using atomic weapons. But out of this came a philosopher named Surak, who would propose leading a life governed by logic rather than emotion. His teachings quickly spread, and Vulcan finally began a shift towards peace."

5w6
5w6s see themselves as being fundamentally apart from others due to their oddness. They aspire to be one of society's foremost thinkers. They tend to be more awed at a world that never ceases to provide them with something to look into further. They are natural investigators who take the initiative to enthusiastically debate and discuss with others how they see the world. They tend to be more self-revealing and more emotionally detached than their 5w4 siblings. They have more of an uneasy truce with their emotions. On average they less sociable than 5w4s. While they also think there is more to them than meets the eye they feel more awkward about showing others this.

The 5w6 inner landscape is one of limitless curiousity, arguably the most of the eighteen subtypes. They've thought a lot about the world and the nature of things with an unrivaled specificity. They've seemingly thought about everything at one point or another from the complex to the simple. They've looked further into things than most others. As a result they feel they have an understanding of the way things are in the world that others don't. Others haven't examined things to the extent that they have. They think most people don't understand them and aren't likely to put in the effort to do so.

5w6 aesthetics are rooted in what is tangible and more easily seen due to their six wing. They envision being on the cutting edge of technological advancement as well as on the frontier of intellectual and physical realms. They contemplate exploring where few have gone before and witnessing worldly phenomena firsthand. They wonder what it's like to be inside the tiniest of probes observing life at the cellular level, or to be safely suspended in the fabric of space-time far away amidst black holes and other awesome anomalies of the cosmos. From these vantage points they are removed from the world of people yet tethered to the furthest reaches of the universe. Their sense of being in touch with these various frontiers beyond human experience has a highly intuitive and emotional aspect to it. There is a certain nirvana that's connected with understanding these worldly phenomena which also serves as an escape from reality. When they tap into that it feels empowering and feeds their tendency to think they have mastery over elements in the world. The more confident they are of their grasp of reality the more in control they feel and the easier it is to take action in the world without hesitation.

5w6s tend to have more sequential and incremental streams of consciousness and lack the "illogical leaps" of 5w4s. There is a process of gradual solidification to their reasoning that makes them natural synthesizers of what they take into account. They tend to have a "one thing progresses to another" way of coming to a conclusion that's generally more precise and easier to follow. They have bias against solutions arrived at primarily aesthetically for not being objective enough. They prefer a thinking process that is more "valid" and can withstand more scrutiny. They are more likely to see a bunch of things that cluster as "coincidental" and not an indication of some higher meaning that they can't explain, unless they can tie things in the cluster together in some way. They tend to not believe in fate. Much of life is random and they accept that. They are more likely to miss things that are there than see things that aren't there like their 5w4s siblings. They tend to be more methodical and analytical and gravitate to more structured intellectual areas.

5 vs 1: Fives unlike ones don't need to adhere to standards that apply to everyone to think they are good enough. Unlike fives the way ones are rational is tied to self-control. Ones find it easy to engage the world while fives find it draining. Fives don't need to obey the rules while ones are compliant to the rules.

http://typewatchenneagram.blogspot.com/2011/06/typewatch-enneagram-type-descriptions.html

One
Self-confident
Decisive
Certain
Contained
Angry
Indignated by others
Controlled
Seek perfection
Independent
Becomes an authority

Six
Self-doubting
Indecisive
Ambivalent
Reactive
Anxious
Suspicious of others
Temperamental
Seek security
Affliative
Looks to authority

http://pstypes.blogspot.com/search/label/Misidentifications

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for the summaries, Savage Idealist. I'm increasingly leaning towards 1w9...

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Six
Self-doubting
Indecisive
Ambivalent
Reactive
Anxious
Suspicious of others
Temperamental
Seek security
Affliative