• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Benefiting from Knowing Your Type?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I think I'm a 1w2 so/sx. It was news to me when I came here that there were so many flavours of INFJ, and it helped explain why there were some INFJs who just seemed a lot different than me, even though we shared some common points.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As well as there being a lot of INFJ 4s (although I think it fits better in some ways with xNFP types), there are a lot of 6s, and at least quite a lot of 9s and 1s. I think quite a lot of INFJs typing themselves as 4 could be something else.
IIRC, 2s are somewhat common.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
For those of you who have figured out what your type is, whether it's regular e-type or instinctual variant, do you feel like knowing this has benefited you in your life?

Absolutely. I have a better understanding of why I do the things I do. It's helped me to mature and smooth out some of my rougher edges.

It has also allowed to learn to use my talents to a greater extent of my potential than I would otherwise have been capable of.

It's also helped me with my interactions with others.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
knowing how your view of reality is distorted, how you are a delusional mutha fucka, and how these delusions effect your decision making and thought processes in the most ridiculous ways

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION], you've mentioned before that 6s have a tendency to be like SJs, and I've been wondering what you mean. Do you mean how 6s can get attached to different structures and systems?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION], you've mentioned before that 6s have a tendency to be like SJs, and I've been wondering what you mean. Do you mean how 6s can get attached to different structures and systems?

Maybe in part. I don't know if 6 NFs always tend to be more like SJs but I think it applies in my case. I look more down-to-earth than some INFJs partly because I think I'm questioning my Ni-based hunches and conclusions all the time. Just because Ni says it, doesn't mean it's true... ;)

I think I am more of a romantic inside, and more strictly practical outside. THere is a sort of war between practicality and romanticism in me, I know that. When my Ni becomes very visible and I become more passionate and romantic in a way that others can see, it often has to do with something like my artistic interests.

I also find a sense of community very important, even if it's just a few people who really mean a lot in my life.

I realised I was an INFJ 6 in part because the way those types dovetail makes perfect sense for the way I am.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. Im happy to know Im not a broken SJ or a failed NT in a society that strictly values achievement. Ive never valued the SJ form of achievement necessarily, and its interesting to know that a lot of these supposed tos come from Si, and why some people are hung up on that, and Im not damaged if I dont do these supposed tos.

Its also fascinating to learn about Ni, and how it actually explains my feelings sometimes of just knowing things, but in a rational way that doesn't mean there are metaphysical things happening, and that its not crazy, either.

I think realizing I am SFP instead of NFP helped too. Im not a bad NF, I have Se.

Understanding Beebes functions, as well as Jungian neurosis and projection surrounding the inferior helps, as well.

I think it also helps to understand that my core motivations for judgment are Fi, and Im not wrong for not having Fe. However on the other hand it can help me to understand when my Fi is being unhealthy.

I think it helps me to understand other people too, why they value what they do, and why we communicate differently. Yeah some people are stupid and some are assholes, but overall its just a difference in functional attitudes.

I think knowing Im an E6 who integrates at E9 is super helpful too.

Ive incorporated these things with Taoist philosophy and yoga, understanding my weak points, and realizing my self mastery has to come from re centering in my Fi and controlling my 6-ish anxiety so I can flow at a healthy 9 place in moments of self healing.

I also realized that I have to nurse my Se aux with sensory experiences and making mind body connections so I dont get into Fi/Ni loops to the point of craziness. And also so I can relax with meditation and its a good centering thing for me, but also that sometimes I need to experience nature in solitude.

I think my over-fieryness comes from Fi/Se and E6 reactivity, and knowing this can help me direct my Fi/Se to a healthier place as well as remembering when I get excessively reactive as a 6 I need 9-ish activities that also engage my Se, like doing yang yoga, cooking for friends, or tending to plants and animals.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think 6s are SJ-ish only in the sense of Keirsey Guardians, not that 6s have Si.

6s have a preoccupation with authority that tends to be ambivalent, but the mere fascination with it may seem Guardian like. For example 6s may be more interested in legal, government or religious structures or social structures of any kind. Even the counterphobic 6 which avoids control and conformity still has a need for belonging. 6s look for stability and trust outside of themselves. This may manifest as being religious, heavily involved in politics, or simply having a strong loyalty to ones primary group of friends. Im not into sports, but I think frantically loyal fans to a particular team show a form of 6-ish behavior, even if, for example, the person is otherwise a free wheeling independent counterphobic Se dom who doesn't seem "SJ-ish" otherwise, that person is still getting their group belonging needs met, their identification with an external group: that team, vicariously, and other fans of that team who may be their regular social group on weekends at parties, cook outs, sports bar outings, games, etc.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It has helped me understand my core preoccupations, and how these distort the way I look at the world. It has also helped me to understand that certain things that I do are in fact the result of choices, and not outside my control. It has also helped me be honest with myself about my feelings, and understand when I begin to rationalize.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
knowing how your view of reality is distorted, how you are a delusional mutha fucka, and how these delusions effect your decision making and thought processes in the most ridiculous ways

that's tough right? ughh i think 7's might have the hardest time hearing it..

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
that's tough right? ughh i think 7's might have the hardest time hearing it..

Everyone has a hard time hearing it. For example, I've just recently realized that I'm a 6, which was hard because I'd spent so much time convincing myself that I am not like the descriptions. The very fear of being fearful and desiring security led to the distorted perception of the type description. That's also very 6-like - being afraid of fear itself.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if they do... But maybe
My boyfriend seemed to think it was just hard for me because of me being a 7.
He's a 4 and doesn't expect everything to be all lovely all the time so it wasn't hard for him to hear.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I don't know if they do... But maybe
My boyfriend seemed to think it was just hard for me because of me being a 7.
He's a 4 and doesn't expect everything to be all lovely all the time so it wasn't hard for him to hear.

True, but the temptation there may be to fetishize those distortions in perspective, treating them as inherent to who he truly is as a perfectly unique person, instead of as an imbalance or an aberration in conceiving the world that inhibits the experience and expression of the true self. If the difficult aspect for a 7, as I understand it, is in realizing that you'll never find what you're looking for, no matter how or what you try, the difficulty for a 4 is in realizing that definitions are limiting by nature, and how you define yourself obscures the fullness of who you are.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe in part. I don't know if 6 NFs always tend to be more like SJs but I think it applies in my case. I look more down-to-earth than some INFJs partly because I think I'm questioning my Ni-based hunches and conclusions all the time. Just because Ni says it, doesn't mean it's true... ;)

I think I am more of a romantic inside, and more strictly practical outside. THere is a sort of war between practicality and romanticism in me, I know that. When my Ni becomes very visible and I become more passionate and romantic in a way that others can see, it often has to do with something like my artistic interests.

I also find a sense of community very important, even if it's just a few people who really mean a lot in my life.

I realised I was an INFJ 6 in part because the way those types dovetail makes perfect sense for the way I am.

Okay, thanks! I don't know if this is a tendency for 6s or NF 6s in general either, although I've never considered myself very SJ-like. I don't relate much to the descriptions or how Si works at all.

I definitely question my Ni hunches as well--sometimes I have to remind myself that they usually are right anyway, but I still a lot of times don't listen to myself when I should have. Not that I want to become arrogant and the stereotype of Ni users, thinking that my Ni is the voice of god, but there definitely comes a point when it's too much doubt.

I can't really relate to being practical on the outside, though :laugh:

I do sometimes become attached to structures, though. And groups. I'm normally someone who advocates being an individual and not just blending in with society or groups, and who thinks that just doing things just because everyone else does them is completely misguided. I can get fixated on this topic, actually. But as I've really looked into my past, I've realized that every now and then, I get these bizarre fixations on how we do things around here and even lash out at people who go against this. And it is fear-based. It's kind of shock to me to realize that I do this, but yeah... But that's one thing I do that may be considered SJ-like. Edit: Not that SJs normally go around 'lashing out' at people who go against norms, but they have a tendency to accept structures the way they are and be more comfortable if they stay that way.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, thanks! I don't know if this is a tendency for 6s or NF 6s in general either, although I've never considered myself very SJ-like. I don't relate much to the descriptions or how Si works at all.

I definitely question my Ni hunches as well--sometimes I have to remind myself that they usually are right anyway, but I still a lot of times don't listen to myself when I should have. Not that I want to become arrogant and the stereotype of Ni users, thinking that my Ni is the voice of god, but there definitely comes a point when it's too much doubt.

I can't really relate to being practical on the outside, though :laugh:

I do sometimes become attached to structures, though. And groups. I'm normally someone who advocates being an individual and not just blending in with society or groups, and who thinks that just doing things just because everyone else does them is completely misguided. I can get fixated on this topic, actually. But as I've really looked into my past, I've realized that every now and then, I get these bizarre fixations on how we do things around here and even lash out at people who go against this. And it is fear-based. It's kind of shock to me to realize that I do this, but yeah... But that's one thing I do that may be considered SJ-like. Edit: Not that SJs normally go around 'lashing out' at people who go against norms, but they have a tendency to accept structures the way they are and be more comfortable if they stay that way.

I totally agree with you that too much questioning of your Ni-based conclusions is often not good. You have to find a balance. I have been trying to teach myself to second-guess myself less, especially if it's about situations where I feel uncomfortable, and so on. (Yeah, that has really been a big lesson to learn.) I've realised in the last couple of years especially that where people are concerned, it very often turns out that my first impressions of people - not necessarily instant or in the first few minutes, but at least in the first time or two we interact somewhat - are absolutely correct. ie. if I think "well, I always thought he was an ass, but now it turns out he's a great guy!" - that is probably a big warning sign, at least. The people who I've had long-term good relationships with have almost inevitably been those who I had an immediate good impression of. If I felt the first time or two that there was something "off" about them or something making me uncomfortable, that's probably pretty accurate.

But then, I also think people go too much by their gut feelings - at least in the case of a type like INFJ it can result in magical, I-am-never-wrong feelings. I don't relate to that and would rather avoid it.

I guess saying I'm STRICTLY practical on the outside is an exaggeration. :laugh: People do think I'm cool and logical, though - not necessarily unemotional (unless they really don't know me well at all) but I look more level-headed than I am. I certainly think it's very 6-ish to listen to someone's excited plans or ideas, and then say "well that sounds really good, but have you thought about this and this? And this could be a problem..." :doh: It's probably good in some ways but annoying too!

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Going back to the original topic,

Just based on the answers in this thread, it seems like people tend to use MBTI to understand themselves and others in a positive way, while enneagram is more used to understand yourself in a way that is focused on what things you're lacking and how you can improve. MBTI is "here is affirmation that being different from people around me doesn't mean there's something wrong with me." Enneagram is "here's how I'm screwed up in a way that's different from how others around me are screwed up."

I also noticed that people in this thread talked about understanding others a lot more with MBTI than with enneagram. It seems that somehow MBTI is more helpful with that.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Im happy to know Im not a broken SJ or a failed NT in a society that strictly values achievement. Ive never valued the SJ form of achievement necessarily, and its interesting to know that a lot of these supposed tos come from Si, and why some people are hung up on that, and Im not damaged if I dont do these supposed tos.

Yeah, this actually, except I wouldn’t personally attach Si (it may or may not be true, I’m just wary of attaching a function- or lack of- to every inclination I have). I think that I did always wonder why something about me felt broken though, or like there was something wrong with me for having the wrong priorities. So finding out that I’m just wired differently and that it comes with a different set of strengths- and that it’s okay if I don’t have the strengths my environment has always dictated I’m “supposed” to have- was a validating experience.

I think finding out about enneagram has been even more helpful than mbti type. There are so many e5 inclinations that I’d actually noticed about myself before finding out it was a ‘type’ or an established way of coping with stress- such as feeling a compulsive need to make sure I know everything there is to know about something before moving forward, and never really feeling prepared enough to do so. I distinctly noticed this was something I did which others didn’t do but I was completely stumped as to why or how to get rid of it (because I could always tell in retrospect when I’d ‘done it again’, but found I was completely lost when it came to recognizing whether I was doing it in the present moment…..in the moment it always feels like “this is different, I really don’t know enough to take action yet”). Learning about e5 has given me a lot of insight into this I would never have figured out on my own.

Overall I’d (agree with SF's above post and) say mbti has helped me understand why others have such different priorities, but enneagram has helped me more in regard to working on myself.

But then, I also think people go too much by their gut feelings - at least in the case of a type like INFJ it can result in magical, I-am-never-wrong feelings. I don't relate to that and would rather avoid it.

I think a key ingredient that’s often missing in this ‘should I listen to my gut’ dilemma is that it’s important to be aware (and maintain awareness) of the fact that it’s a gut feeling. There’s a helpful balance which lies somewhere between ignoring it- because it’s hard to explain/justify to others (and so I’ll avoid taking it into consideration)- and going with it but not staying aware of how it’s informing my judgment/conclusions. <-Because neither of those extremes are particularly healthy or useful. It’s hard to give a gut feeling weight while keeping in mind it’s nothing more than a gut feeling, but that’s my new goal (and it is really hard, lol).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can blame my laziness and general lack of ambition on my huge Pness.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It was like someone shone a bright light on all the hideousness parts of me that were never meant to see the light of day and said "look at all the bad habits you have son". One hell of a god-awful wake up call, but enlightening in a positive way as without understanding what created our bad habits in the first place we don't stand a high chance of changing them. Instincts were more of a gentle awareness then slap in the face with an iron fist.

I also noticed that people in this thread talked about understanding others a lot more with MBTI than with enneagram. It seems that somehow MBTI is more helpful with that.

Both can help, MBTI tells you how you process things, Enneagram focuses on the why, your motivations and fears etc. Tbh I find the Enneagram better when it comes to understanding others for that reason, MBTI does create a base however.