• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Putting the missing piece theory to practical use

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For those of you who don't know about the missing piece: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/177-Enneagram-The-Missing-Piece

Kinda been brainstorming this lately. I'm interested in what you guys do for stress-relief and how it corresponds with this theory. For example, when I hate life, I usually stay up late, blare rock music, and dance around like an idiot :3 and it usually puts me in a surprisingly awesome mood (I'm type 5, my missing piece is 7). What do you guys do?

Input? comments?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Type Six needs most to learn from Three to be inner directed and to have real self-esteem.

Soooo agreed. In terms of stress relief, though, I think 3 isn't really the type I move to. :laugh: Rather, 6 integrates towards 9 - and I certainly fit the bill in terms of loving soothing sensual pleasure - my favorite being massage. I also surround myself with positive inspirations and read fantasy stories with happy endings.

As for the "missing piece", I think that's really interesting! I'm really working hard on developing my ego right now (6 is soooo superego-driven), and I think that it's true that 6 needs to learn how to decide what they desire, for oneself, and how to set a course to go about obtaining that. I think there is a similar parallel with superego-driven 2 and ego-driven 8, with 2 needing to learn how to claim their own personal feelings and how to pursue their own needs.

For me, though, 3 has always come out when I am helping others with their goals - I become very driven, confident, and self-assured. I assume that's because helping someone else takes the pressure off in terms of me having to decide the "what I want" part of things, which is hardest for me, and as such my root fear is essentially eliminated. Now if I could only be like that in terms of my own goals! :]

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems interesting but I can't really read that site due to the blue background. :/

And I know what I do during stress but I don't think it's healthy at all... Im noticing it a lot lately how I distract distract distract constantly... I'm chaotic and unfocused and right now feel like I'm sitting in the middle of a tornado with my eyes tightly shut. It's no good.

I definitely need to figure out some healthy coping strategies right about now.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems interesting but I can't really read that site due to the blue background. :/

And I know what I do during stress but I don't think it's healthy at all... Im noticing it a lot lately how I distract distract distract constantly... I'm chaotic and unfocused and right now feel like I'm sitting in the middle of a tornado with my eyes tightly shut. It's no good.

I definitely need to figure out some healthy coping strategies right about now.

I know life sucks sometimes, and its hard to get out of a rut once you're in it, but just remember that the only thing certain about life is that time keeps moving on weather you want it to or not. Whatever's going wrong right now, it'll pass and better things will come. Good luck with whatever you're dealing with.

This is from the site.

We have discovered that the healthy Levels, especially Level 1, of the type in the Direction of Disintegration indicate what our type most needs for our personal development. Under normal circumstances, we tend to act out in the Direction of Disintegration because we unconsciously know that what we need for our healing and wholeness is symbolized by that type—even though we cannot yet fully integrate that quality into our personality structure. When we become more healthy, however, we also begin to be in the position to access and claim our most needed qualities—to seize the capstone of our psyche, as it were....

...Type Seven needs most to learn from One to accept life as it is, and to live for a higher purpose.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes! I've been doing this for a few years now; when I realized how much potential that the enneagram had for self improvement. I've been thinking about getting "in sync" with 3 and learning from 6, to become more balanced and assert myself more. And to overall exist more, get what I want more, which was a challenge as a 9. A lot of people type me as a counter-phobic 6 now because I've been working on myself so much.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
If im stressed I internally occupy myself and will myself to keep on pushing, all the while letting my mind work through the problem until it goes *ding* and the internal microwave presents the answer, at which point im happy again having moved past or understood something about either myself or others.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes! I've been doing this for a few years now; when I realized how much potential that the enneagram had for self improvement. I've been thinking about getting "in sync" with 3 and learning from 6, to become more balanced and assert myself more. And to overall exist more, get what I want more, which was a challenge as a 9. A lot of people type me as a counter-phobic 6 now because I've been working on myself so much.

i know what you mean with this. I've been trying to make myself a more social person overall, its hard and i still need some time to myself, but when I'm around people I like to think I'm pretty fun to be with :p

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think many 3s and 5s could probably teach me a lot, but 1s? no. the missing piece for type 7 is not "living for a higher purpose" it's being able to plan for the future and secure what you want long term instead of either living moment to moment (Sensor 7s) or being stuck in your head (Intuitive 7s)

G

garbage

I'd think that everyone has something to learn from every healthy Enneagram type; I don't think the "missing piece" is special to our direction of disintegration. Honestly, I think this particular extension of the theory is reaching just a lil' bit.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you for posting that, [MENTION=15799]acronach[/MENTION].

This article mirrors some of my own thinking lately, starting actually with the article you posted not too long ago about most common enneagram marriage types. Specifically, I think [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] asked something to the effect of whether it could be harmful for someone to marry along the path of their disintegration, which got me mulling the subject.

I arrived at basically what this article pointed out. Considering the process of integration as less of a path per se, but more of a triangle where both legs contribute to an optimal self. The disintegration point shows where the deficit is and where the real work needs to be done. As a 9, my issue is complacency, and it would be easy enough for me to fake 3 without addressing this underlying problem. The antidote really is in the 6s perspective, which at it's heart is about taking nothing for granted.

For a 9, the process of integrating that lesson is excruciating, because to do it any justice we have to "unmerge". It's biting the apple and knowing a self distinct from the Source. It's to be truly aware for the first time of self with its limitations and its questions and its confusions. It's to be suddenly responsible for all that frailty where before there was nothing.

How we deal with that responsibility is what decides us. Even if we run, we can't un-know, so the options open to us are the kind of self-inflicted oblivion of the unhealthiest levels of our type. If we stick it out, I'd like to believe that what happens is a rediscovery of faith. Going back to the Fall analogy, we don't get a pass back to Eden, but are restored to our relationship with the Source as separate, thinking and actualized individuals. This jives with the Level 1 description:

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become self-possessed, feeling autonomous and fulfilled: have great equanimity and contentment because they are present to themselves. Paradoxically, at one with self, and thus able to form more profound relationships. Intensely alive, fully connected to self and others.

Anyways, I brought up [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]'s post simply because I think that interacting with someone whose type matches your point of disintegration can be a catalyst for this kind of growth in a way that even someone at your integration point cannot. For the simple fact that I mentioned before that the actual work seems to take place at the disintegration point. Similar to what [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] was getting at, the integration point is about comfort. It feels good for me to be around 3s because I can simply merge with their stronger sense of identity, go along with whatever program they've come up with, and keep on truckin' as my usual self-effacing and complacent self. There's certainly grounds for compatibility there, but it smacks of the easy way out.

Sorry for the lengthy post. This stuff has been rolling around my head lately, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to collect in one place. I'd be particularly curious what fellow 9s [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION]'s and [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION]'s thoughts are.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks! I dont understand...accept life as it is??!! How does one do that!? Haha no seriously

Mia.

I'd be particularly curious what fellow 9s [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION]'s and [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION]'s thoughts are.

*clears throat* Ok, well, uh…here goes.

I arrived at basically what this article pointed out. Considering the process of integration as less of a path per se, but more of a triangle where both legs contribute to an optimal self. The disintegration point shows where the deficit is and where the real work needs to be done. As a 9, my issue is complacency, and it would be easy enough for me to fake 3 without addressing this underlying problem. The antidote really is in the 6s perspective, which at it's heart is about taking nothing for granted.

For a 9, the process of integrating that lesson is excruciating, because to do it any justice we have to "unmerge". It's biting the apple and knowing a self distinct from the Source. It's to be truly aware for the first time of self with its limitations and its questions and its confusions. It's to be suddenly responsible for all that frailty where before there was nothing.

How we deal with that responsibility is what decides us. Even if we run, we can't un-know, so the options open to us are the kind of self-inflicted oblivion of the unhealthiest levels of our type. If we stick it out, I'd like to believe that what happens is a rediscovery of faith. Going back to the Fall analogy, we don't get a pass back to Eden, but are restored to our relationship with the Source as separate, thinking and actualized individuals. This jives with the Level 1 description:

Type Nine needs most to learn from Six to rely on themselves and to grow in adversity.

Finding the missing piece basically happened to me three years ago. Up until that point, I was probably at an enneagram 9 developmental level 6:
Level 6: Begin to minimize problems, to appease others and to have "peace at any price." Stubborn, fatalistic, and resigned, as if nothing could be done to change anything. Into wishful thinking, and magical solutions. Others frustrated and angry by their procrastination and unresponsiveness.

Relationship as a metaphysical concept, and specific relationships with the people I love, have always been of paramount importance to me. They still are, but the way I conduct myself within them is drastically different than it was.

My sense of my worth was very influenced by how I was treated in my relationships. Because it has always been important to me to give people acceptance and love, and I know this is how it should be and how it was designed to be, I took how people treated me in turn as feedback about my value, and when people treated me badly I assumed that must indeed be what I deserved or of course they wouldn’t act that way. Consequently, I rarely stood up for myself. I put up with a lot of things I shouldn’t have. I did everything I could to “keep the peace” even though things weren’t peaceful at all. Coming to a place of health for me involved learning to love myself unconditionally the way I loved other people, which meant standing up for myself in the same way I would stand up for them if someone was hurting them.

Differences from how I was then vs. how I am now that follow the 6 missing piece include:

- My relationship with God is my Source. He and what he says about me are where I find my identity, sense of self, sense of purpose, and foundation. I can safely merge with Him, because he is perfect and to do so is to build my house on a rock and not on sand.
- I am my own best friend. I am my own comforter, confidante, lover, cheerleader, nurturer, healer, and companion. This is not to say I don’t want or need other people in my life – I do, very much so, I believe we were built for and made for relationship – but if everyone else leaves, I will be all right, because I have me.
- I will NOT let someone treat me badly, regardless of how much I care for them. I will address the issue, and if it continues to happen, I will continue to care for them in action but completely disengage from them emotionally. I will not allow people to hurt/mistreat me. This is not to say I expect people to be perfect - far from it - I know intimacy means being open to being hurt and people mess up - that’s completely different- but it means I value my emotional integrity enough to only open up when it is generally safe to do so.

I would say I am at an enneagram 9 level 3 development in general right now:

Level 3: Optimistic, reassuring, supportive: have a healing and calming influence—harmonizing groups, bringing people together: a good mediator, synthesizer, and communicator.

And of course, with Jesus’ help and with time I want to reach levels 1 and 2, although I think I have moments where I skip up and down in them:

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become self-possessed, feeling autonomous and fulfilled: have great equanimity and contentment because they are present to themselves. Paradoxically, at one with self, and thus able to form more profound relationships. Intensely alive, fully connected to self and others.

Level 2: Deeply receptive, accepting, unselfconscious, emotionally stable and serene. Trusting of self and others, at ease with self and life, innocent and simple. Patient, unpretentious, good-natured, genuinely nice people.

A big challenge of this whole process has been distinguishing what is a healthy balance between 9 and 6, and not going too far into the 6 direction – i.e. not becoming an island to myself. Balance is key.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For those of you who don't know about the missing piece: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/177-Enneagram-The-Missing-Piece

Kinda been brainstorming this lately. I'm interested in what you guys do for stress-relief and how it corresponds with this theory. For example, when I hate life, I usually stay up late, blare rock music, and dance around like an idiot :3 and it usually puts me in a surprisingly awesome mood (I'm type 5, my missing piece is 7). What do you guys do?

Input? comments?

Over time you will decrease your sensitivity to serotonin and dopamine which will lead to impaired cognitive function. Lol :D. Actually, that is a line from big bang theory, but in order to fight depression and operate at peak awareness it is good to to sleep at the same time each night, for about the same length of time, between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am. This allows your circadian rhythms to regulate (and andesine(?) Levels).

Read about the basics of sleep here

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm

I think what you're doing is a form of stoting particular to the inxps lol. We're all impressed haha. Now go function well so N can have a bigger influence in the world :fist:

:D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Type Nine needs most to learn from Six to rely on themselves and to grow in adversity.

Sounds about right, 6 is our stress point, which is also a point which we aren't used to. Only when we can grasp 6 is when we truly can integrate with 3. It is like learning a lesson the hard way versus learning it the easy way. The easy way is going directly to 3 and not learning that hard lesson that needs to be learned. When we rely/work on ourselves is when the true work on ourselves can begin.

“The only way out is through."

How we deal with that responsibility is what decides us. Even if we run, we can't un-know, so the options open to us are the kind of self-inflicted oblivion of the unhealthiest levels of our type. If we stick it out, I'd like to believe that what happens is a rediscovery of faith. Going back to the Fall analogy, we don't get a pass back to Eden, but are restored to our relationship with the Source as separate, thinking and actualized individuals.

I've tried giving my own explanation, but I felt, whatever I came up with may be a bit personal. The quote is the gist of it.

Anyhow, it is a long road separating the self from my perceived self of other people is paying off (at least I think it is)

Mia.

Thought I would add, if you want a couple of case studies of some screwed up, overly suspicious 9s who find the missing piece from 6 watch the movies "Sleeping with the Enemy" (definite INFP) and "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" (likely INFP).

Silveresque

Now time for my interpretation. :)

To grow in adversity....When things get stressful, I disengage myself and wait it out. It's too painful to be actively engaged, so I go on autopilot and let the problem resolve itself. This is the way I've learned to deal with stressful times--by drifting past them rather than charging through.

As for self-reliance, I'm beginning to seperate my own opinion from those of others. The problem is, I put too much weight on what others think, and even what others would think when they're not around. People are judgmental and critical, and I can't defend my views very well, so I've learned to keep quiet to avoid trouble.

Thos

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w7
I would say that is your direction of stress. The missing piece represents the healthy capacities of the type (7 in your case), which ironically is probably the most out of reach for you. However, the average qualities of the stress line represent a better strategy to act out under stress than our own type, as our own type takes us down a spiral. We don't rely on our direction of stress' strengths so it actually presents a useful alternative to the type's own fixation. In my case, as an Eight, I have learned to back off and isolate myself when I get in over my head. I have found it much better than getting into fights and essentially inviting people to lock me up and take my freedom of action away (my biggest fear.)

In your own case, the silliness prevents your mental state from deteriorating into the nihilism of the Five.

Thos

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w7
Soooo agreed. In terms of stress relief, though, I think 3 isn't really the type I move to. :laugh: Rather, 6 integrates towards 9 - and I certainly fit the bill in terms of loving soothing sensual pleasure - my favorite being massage. I also surround myself with positive inspirations and read fantasy stories with happy endings.

As for the "missing piece", I think that's really interesting! I'm really working hard on developing my ego right now (6 is soooo superego-driven), and I think that it's true that 6 needs to learn how to decide what they desire, for oneself, and how to set a course to go about obtaining that. I think there is a similar parallel with superego-driven 2 and ego-driven 8, with 2 needing to learn how to claim their own personal feelings and how to pursue their own needs.

For me, though, 3 has always come out when I am helping others with their goals - I become very driven, confident, and self-assured. I assume that's because helping someone else takes the pressure off in terms of me having to decide the "what I want" part of things, which is hardest for me, and as such my root fear is essentially eliminated. Now if I could only be like that in terms of my own goals! :]

I think the interpretation of the missing piece as something to attain is misguided. Reading your account, I suspect that it's a waste of time. You do quite well and I see no reason for a 6 to learn what they want (as a Three) when it is already pretty clear that they want to develop something larger than themselves and build security in the world. The attainment of the Three's inner-directed nature seems so beside the point and attains the level of "spiritual masturbation" in my view.

I'll use myself as an example. I am an Eight and when I grow towards Two, most of the capacities of the other types also become available, except Five. For the life of me, the one thing out of reach is the mental focus and the ability to stay with something mentally. The question I then ask is "why bother?" I already offer enough to others by being action-oriented and compassionate. The basic fear is also of little concern. No one seeks to lock me up when I champion their interests aggressively. The return on investment for the missing piece does not strike me as worth the trouble.

Thos

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w7
I'd think that everyone has something to learn from every healthy Enneagram type; I don't think the "missing piece" is special to our direction of disintegration. Honestly, I think this particular extension of the theory is reaching just a lil' bit.

I wholeheartedly agree. Rather, I don't think it's reaching so much as just creating another spiritual milestone where it does not need to exist. I feel that once you have integrated your growth line and unlocked level 1 and live from that realization more and more, you've made it. It's hard to fall backward once you've tasted that level of freedom, and if you do, you know what it takes to get back in it. At that point, I would start seeing more value in other areas of life, like physical, social, or financial health. I look at Riso and Hudson, whose books are amazing. They spent much time chasing Essence, but it never occurred to them that maybe they could get more out of spending some time in a gym, as both are/were (RIP Mr. Riso) pretty overweight.