• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram marriage statistics

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it unwise to mention the MBTI in this case where there is no one-to-one correlation with ennegram types? It's like saying, "5/1 isn't a weird marriage pattern, it's common for the male INTP to be into women with big butts."

there's a pretty big spread amongst 1s

That correlates with what I was saying very well. Very well indeed.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(wow, this thread exploded overnight :p)

Why do you think the face a certain type/enneagram show the world is the one they show in private to the ones they love most?
obviously its not, but im just saying, i've been in one and i know how easy it is for those to fly south. 2 gets lonely, 5 gets jealous, they both drag each other along until the whole thing ends in a huge explosion.

my main question is: how do we know they're typed correctly in the first place?

apart from that, this sample size is WAY too small to say anything.
I agree, there's no way to tell for sure weather or not they're typed right. As for the sample size, it is small, but hey, its better than nothing.

i'm surprised and a little frightened how many 5s ended up marrying 1s in that poll. i can't imagine that being terribly fulfilling
this was also in the back of my mind. Wondering how many of those 5s were mistyped.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
36% of INFJs responded with type 4, while 23% of INFJs responded with type 1. (Chart Three-A). A lot of those INFJs are associated with type 4, moreso than with type 1. So on the basis of the understanding I've had for the past 16 years, you can see why your statement would raise some alarm bells with me.

I think that particular study (in which I participated in too, I think; I even have artwork presented on that site in their "Typing and Art" section) raised bells with me because it didn't match my anecdotal experience. I had a few rounds of e-mails with Fudjack ... a nice guy, but we didn't agree on some type reads. He came across as more "ivory tower" to me... a lot of theory and conjecture, but I didn't feel like he collected enough varied data. For myself, I started studying type in 1996, so we're about on par there as well.... it's not like neither of us have thought about these things in detail.

And sorry, I don't think "big butts" was funny because it had nothing to do with the point -- my comments were based on actual prominent discussions i've seen on sites including this one but also 3-4 others over the last 5-6 years, and so it's a lot more grounded than the "What pizza topping does <this type> like?" absurdities that people sometimes veer into that you erroneously tried to frame it as.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that particular study (in which I participated in too, I think; I even have artwork presented on that site in their "Typing and Art" section) raised bells with me because it didn't match my anecdotal experience. I had a few rounds of e-mails with Fudjack ... a nice guy, but we didn't agree on some type reads. He came across as more "ivory tower" to me... a lot of theory and conjecture, but I didn't feel like he collected enough varied data. For myself, I started studying type in 1996, so we're about on par there as well.... it's not like neither of us have thought about these things in detail.

And sorry, I don't think "big butts" was funny because it had nothing to do with the point -- my comments were based on actual prominent discussions i've seen on sites including this one but also 3-4 others over the last 5-6 years, and so it's a lot more grounded than the "What pizza topping does <this type> like?" absurdities that people sometimes veer into that you erroneously tried to frame it as.

I agree, those are some silly threads. Your original statement was not that silly. I am at a disadvantage as I don't think there are any correlation studies having to do with big butts and type. Am I not allowed to exaggerate "fuzzily" just for effect?

But you should agree that those forums you've visited, such as this one, are weighed down heavily with certain types. Notice that even in the Fudjack study there are 3-1/3 intuitives represented for every sensor (a lack of varied data). Whereas, in reality, sensors out-weigh intuitives by about the same percentage. The EM owner even told me he was disappointed in the result from that angle, e.g., the lack of ESTP respondents.

I have a question: you don't recall whether or not you participated in the study? Really? I added myself and my SO to the poll.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think most couples put that much emphasis on type. I'm confident a great number of people don't even know what it is or care. Yes it can explain some personality qualities and differences but it's miles from a main predictor of success.

I agree on sample size though.

It's laughable that they use the word "confidence" at all with such a tiny sampling of marriages.

my main question is: how do we know they're typed correctly in the first place?

apart from that, this sample size is WAY too small to say anything.

I'm not a statistician but know that many medical studies are similar in the way they are performed and relatively small sample sizes. There is a lot of math behind their conclusions and it isn't clear in this case what was done here. I also know that in auditing, small sample sizes can provide a degree of confidence for an assertion about a much larger population. I would be very interested in seeing a study done with a much larger sample size.

In either case, who cares. What matters is results - whether or not they are directionally correct - even if they are not perfect.

These are just example data points and there are always coincidences but the results resonate with me personally. I've had two serious relationships in my life - both initiated at a young age. One was with a 9 and the other was a 2 - which is what the results of the study predict. Also - another example - Katherine Chernick Fauvre is an 8 and her husband is a 4 - in the red category of two standard deviations above what would be expected by chance. They are both professional Enneagram practitioners and I'm pretty confident she and her husband know their type.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram_marriages.html

I found this kind of interesting so I thought I'd share it. Opinions?

Personally, I think there should be more 5/4 couples on here, but apparantly not i guess *confusion*

Wow! This data is the shit!

Thanks, acronach!

I've been noticing your posts a lot lately.

I like your style, and am glad to have you on board.

This is especially interesting:

"People marry along a line of integration 38% more often than chance. For example, 7-1 and 3-6 marriages were common, as were male 2s-female 4s, male 3s-female 9s, and several other such combinations."

I have wondered about this before. It seems it would be better for one person than another though.

Example - integration lines go from 6 to 9 to 3 to 6 again. Disintegration lines go from 6 to 3 to 9 to six again. Integration goes towards healthy. Disintegration goes towards unhealthy.

So, a 6 with a 9, could help drive the 6 to be more "healthy" as their partner falls directly into their line of integration. I have wondered if it is bad for the 9 though because the 6 is in the direction of their line of disintegration which goes more towards the unhealthy side. Could it be that a 3 is better for a 9 than a 6? Then would the 9 would not be as good for the 3?

Edit: For those who don't know what I'm taking about with lines of integration/disintegration, look here:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

I've been thinking a lot about this question myself lately.

The obvious answer is that we are supposed to have group marriages.

So if there are any 3 and 9 females out there looking, I'm willing to be the 6 meat to your two slices of bread.

:D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed myself being drawn most often to 3s & 5s (my wings), but not 9s (common for female 4s apparently) or 1s (my line of integration). It's interesting to me that 4s often pair with 9s since both types are common for INFPs...

Some of the lines of integration/disintegration pair up nicely with the anima/animus (ie. my own type 4 is associated heavily with Fi & 1 is associated somewhat with Te), as do some of the common pairings which aren't on the line of integration/disintegration (ie. 2 is associated heavily with Fe & 5 is associated heavily with Ti).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagram random thought:
That's what's gonna happen if I ever date an Enneagram 2:

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Enneagram random thought:
That's what's gonna happen if I ever date an Enneagram 2:

You're going to freak out and smash her xbox? oh yea, I went there.