• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which enneatype would you least like to be and why?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would least like to be a 4 because they seem to be the most emo type on the enneagram. Also, I am a 6 already, lol, and that is probably the second worst choice on the enneagram list.

Edit: I jacked this thread from [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in order from least to most
1>6>4>2>9>5>3>8>7

- 1 least because being on a quest for perfection perpetually would friggin suck and would leave me feeling frustrated and
- 6 after that because I can't imagine living with anxiety on a regular basis
- 4 after that for the same reason [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] mentioned
- 2 after that because they piss me off :laugh:
- 9 and 5 I'm kind of indifferent to
- Id the most because we're focused on desire and getting what they want and don't have all these intellectual and superego/moralist hang ups

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my first thought was 3, because i guess i don't like the thought of living my life trying to fit some external standard of perfection, it just seems dishonest to me in a way. i do think that would be a good way to get ahead in life though, however foreign it is to me. so i'm going to pick 1 because it seems like too much work.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my first thought was 3, because i guess i don't like the thought of living my life trying to fit some external standard of perfection, it just seems dishonest to me in a way. i do think that would be a good way to get ahead in life though, however foreign it is to me. so i'm going to pick 1 because it seems like too much work.

you have it backwards. 1 would be draining reaching a standard of perfection and 3 would be exhausting due to over working one's self to reach a result. overall, 3s are not very perfectionist. they just want to get it done. reaching an external standard of perfection to win the admiration of others is more of a 2 thing.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you have it backwards. 1 would be draining reaching a standard of perfection and 3 would be exhausting due to over working one's self to reach a result. overall, 3s are not very perfectionist. they just want to get it done. reaching an external standard of perfection to win the admiration of others is more of a 2 thing.

how can my opinion on something be backwards? hard work=standard of perfection in my eyes, because i hate working and don't care about being successful. also trying to project a certain image.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how can my opinion on something be backwards? hard work=standard of perfection in my eyes, because i hate working and don't care about being successful. also trying to project a certain image.

it wasn't your opinion that was backwards, your perception of 1s and 3s was a little bit backwards in your initial post

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it wasn't your opinion that was backwards, your perception of 1s and 3s was a little bit backwards in your initial post

the way i see it, 1s are trying to live by their own standards of perfection and 3s are trying to fit into an external one. that doesn't mean they are perfectionists in the traditional sense, but i still think they're trying to appear to be some form of perfect, whether it's being attractive, smart, talented, successful, etc.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the way i see it, 1s are trying to live by their own standards of perfection and 3s are trying to fit into an external one. that doesn't mean they are perfectionists in the traditional sense, but i still think they're trying to appear to be some form of perfect, whether it's being attractive, smart, talented, successful, etc.

no, a 3 is just trying to get more and more. more and more prestige, success, money, whatever. perfection really does not appeal much to them at all, either internal or external. to a 3, life is a video game and they are trying to get the highest score possible. the energy and motivation of type 3 are much more Id while 1s are a very superego heavy type. the majority of their similarities are external

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no, a 3 is just trying to get more and more. more and more prestige, success, money, whatever. perfection really does not appeal much to them at all, either internal or external. to a 3, life is a video game and they are trying to get the highest score possible. the energy and motivation of type 3 are much more Id while 1s are a very superego heavy type. the majority of their similarities are external

i don't see how that's not aiming for perfection. you missed my point. anyway, i've read plenty on the subject, i understand the differences between the types, i'm not trying to get lessons from you.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't see how that's not aiming for perfection. you missed my point. anyway, i've read plenty on the subject, i understand the differences between the types, i'm not trying to get lessons from you.

most of the enneagram descriptions online are complete rubbish and don't get to the roots of the enneagram and the 9 fixations/distortions in world view (instead simply attributing shallow characteristics to each type. 4s are melancholy and seek uniqueness, 8s are aggressive and independent etc) so I'm skeptical if you haven't read more decent descriptions, but if you don't seem interested in discussing that atm so I see no need to push. carry on

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oops, double post (damn internet connection lol)

overall, I think it would be most difficult/stressful to be a Superego type and most awesome to be an Id type

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oops, double post (damn internet connection lol)

overall, I think it would be most difficult/stressful to be a Superego type and most awesome to be an Id type

i own like 4 different books on the enneagram :rolleyes:. plus you were never even contradicting my basic point, you were just nitpicking about my choice of the word "perfect" which i never want to see, hear, speak or type in my life now because i said it like 10 times.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i own like 4 different books on the enneagram :rolleyes:. plus you were never even contradicting my basic point, you were just nitpicking about my choice of the word "perfect" which i never want to see, hear, speak or type in my life now because i said it like 10 times.

okay, fair enough
I was pointing out what I thought was an important distinction. carry on

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with chana here that 3s are also perfectionistic in that they want to be seen as best as they can be. A good example of this are a good number of sport athletes who work very, very hard to achieve greatness and as close to "perfection" as they can get. Think Michael Jordan or Tom Brady.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with chana here that 3s are also perfectionistic in that they want to be seen as best as they can be. A good example of this are a good number of sport athletes who work very, very hard to achieve greatness and as close to "perfection" as they can get. Think Michael Jordan or Tom Brady.

it's different. perfection is an elimination of that which is bad/negative/a mistake. the 3's goal is "I have everything bitches! I'm the best! now bow down to me and hand over all the fertile females in your clan!"
perfection is punishment/superego driven; the 3's desire is reward/Id driven

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's different. perfection is an elimination of that which is bad/negative/a mistake. the 3's goal is "I have everything bitches! I'm the best! now bow down to me and hand over all the fertile females in your clan!"
perfection is punishment/superego driven; the 3's desire is reward/Id driven

3s do this. They want to eliminate failure and "loserness" as much as possible.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3s do this. They want to eliminate failure and "loserness" as much as possible.

but their focus is on the positive. "what am I going to get" not "what I am doing wrong"

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but their focus is on the positive. "what am I going to get" not "what I am doing wrong"

Sort of.

I agree that the type of perfection 1s and 3s strive for is different, but 3s aren't completely positive types. They DO focus on what they are doing "wrong" (i.e., whatever is causing them to fail or be seen as a loser), and work to correct that. They see failing or being a loser as "doing wrong", not necessarily in the moral sense, like 1s, but in the sense that that is a bad thing.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay, fair enough
I was pointing out what I thought was an important distinction. carry on

Semantics are fun. Lol.

I'm going to go with 3 and 4... it's a hard tie between those. 4s just seem totally nuts to me, their defense mechanisms just seem like they would be detrimental to almost everything around them. They don't seem to ever be happy about anything, and seem to have very strange views regarding relationships. Some of them I've met have had an "ends justify the means" attitude towards relationships, cheating, dating someone and then going on casual dates with other guys to "further test the waters" all in the name of finding their ideal. Ugh. So many 4s I've met have just been a major pain in the ass, I would hate to have to live with myself and be one.

As for the 3, the way that they do things is very confusing to me too, but at the same they make sense. I just couldn't go through my life living that way, having everything fit a "perfect" external standard. I just couldn't.

Those are the most blatant ones, I think being a 5 would be pretty bad too, we just don't get to see their crazy as much as some of the other types, but they seem to live a very complicated, detached life.

We could really justify how being any type would suck I think though.