• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

1w2 vs. 1w9?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someone may have already made a thread about this, but I haven't found it, so... What are the main differences between 1w2 and 1w9?

As I understand it, here are some of the differences:

1w9: More reserved, more level-headed, universal/cosmic idealism, less confrontational, misanthropic tendencies
1w2: Friendlier, always wanting to be helpful, hands-on action-based idealism, more evangelical (in terms of ideas and right/wrong)

But I'm sure there's more to it than that!

(Some of my reasoning behind making this thread is that I relate to a little of both, and I'm not sure if my 1w2 typing is correct. But please don't limit this thread to just my typing!)

Last edited by a moderator:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for those! I just read this one, and it was very helpful. (The unhealthy 1w2 description convinced me that my self-typing is correct. :laugh: because it is almost exactly how I act under extreme stress. It also convinced me that my roommate is 1w9, because she gives off that exact vibe under stress -- i.e. of becoming increasingly tightly wound and passive-aggressive -- whereas I do sometimes veer into guilty self-punishment territory.)

I wonder -- what would the difference be, between 1w2 and 1w9, regarding conflict? Which would be less confrontational, and if they're both nonconfrontational (or confrontational, whatever), then how would their reasoning differ?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wonder -- what would the difference be, between 1w2 and 1w9, regarding conflict? Which would be less confrontational, and if they're both nonconfrontational (or confrontational, whatever), then how would their reasoning differ?
1w9 = Spock. :D

I figured you were a 1w2. I haven't done any formal studies, but I think 1w9 is pretty unusual for ESTJs. 1w9 is more of an IXTJ thing.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someone may have already made a thread about this, but I haven't found it, so... What are the main differences between 1w2 and 1w9?

1w9: More reserved, more level-headed, universal/cosmic idealism, less confrontational, misanthropic tendencies
1w2: Friendlier, always wanting to be helpful, hands-on action-based idealism, more evangelical (in terms of ideas and right/wrong)

(Some of my reasoning behind making this thread is that I relate to a little of both, and I'm not sure if my 1w2 typing is correct. But please don't limit this thread to just my typing!)

I'm not sure if you're a 1 or some other type but I think 1w2 fits you better than 1w9.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think the difference can be seen in the way theses two differents type integrate in 7. 2, 7 and 9 form the optimistic triad. Now, the wing 9 implies more an emphasis with the optimist of the point 7 in a withdrawing/optimistic way, more in touch with the gut center where the anger is supressed to serve a slow, merging, consensual way, from quietly optimistic to outright ebulient.

The wing 2, implies a connection more in a compliant/optimistic way, more histrionic and in a focus of seduction of people by serving thier needs, entertaing them and showing them the positive side of life, also a connection to the vice of Pride of Type 2 "I'm doing things in the best way, that's why you I serve your need and you can't live without me, and that's why I'm proud".

Also, the way you connect to 4 is meaningful, 1w9 connect more with the withdrawing side of Type 4, and 1w2 with the Image side of type 4, dramatic, theatral and glamorous.

Tomb1

1w9s tend to be colder fish, less influenced by pre-existing dogmas and closer in fit to the classic type A personality.

1w2s usually have more common sense/practical-mindedness, volunteer themselves a lot for stuff, and ground their idealism in empathetic connections.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for all the replies, guys! They've been very helpful.

Also, the way you connect to 4 is meaningful, 1w9 connect more with the withdrawing side of Type 4, and 1w2 with the Image side of type 4, dramatic, theatral and glamorous.
This makes a lot of sense. :yes:

With the exception of when you're under severe stress, in which case both subtypes disintegrate into the self-contained and moody side of type 4, right? (Or am I mixing this up with my INFP shadow? They seem to mesh together)

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It's only with a select few people that I notice myself really active or outgoing with people, but when I'm at work or even with my family, I am very hands-off.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks [MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] for the article about tri-types. I think I fit best with 1-2-7, although it's always kind of hard to peg yourself accurately. I found it interesting that there were that many different "flavours" of the same basic enneagram type.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Unsure. 1w2, 1w9?

The last time I tested, I was a 5w6. Maybe I've mellowed out or undergone some personal changes, however, I currently type, repeatedly I might add, as a 1. After coming to terms with this and reading several descriptions, I accept that I am very likely a 1- however, determining my wing type has proven much more difficult. Thoughts? Descriptions?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you typed as a 5 before, then it would make more sense for you to be a 1w9.

What do you relate to about each wing? What don't you relate to?

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
If you typed as a 5 before, then it would make more sense for you to be a 1w9.

What do you relate to about each wing? What don't you relate to?

Well, I've been through a couple sources, so let's see if I can piece together something slightly coherent.

Using these sources as references: [Enneagram Type 1] Enneatype 1 and wings.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram-type-profiles/68695-type-9-enneagram-profile.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram-type-profiles/68688-type-2-enneagram-profile.html

Regarding the 1w9, I'm not really the type to withdraw from stress. I tend to take a more active role in things that I feel need to be changed, rather than sitting back. When extremely frustrated, or in an unhealthy state, however, I tend towards compulsive actions- cleaning, organizing, etc. "Going with the flow" doesn't do it for me in the slightest. I don't have any qualms about bringing up sensitive issues to those close to me, whether or not it may offend them, as I think fixing any issues outright is more profitable in the long run.
The 1w2 description seems to fit a bit better, in some regards. I find myself quite frequently being the one to take care of others, and tend to adapt my behavior to whatever it is they need at the time. I'm not so much physically expressive, but it can be a tool to be used to better someone's mood. I'm quite family oriented, planning holidays and birthdays is something I do well with. I am, however, quite aware that when I give, and get nothing in return, can become a bit miffed, and simply remember that occurrence for another time.

I'm rather leaning toward 1w2 after this examination. :/

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=23507]RenaiReborn[/MENTION] sounds like 1w2 to me, too!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, I've been through a couple sources, so let's see if I can piece together something slightly coherent.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram-type-profiles/68695-type-9-enneagram-profile.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram-type-profiles/68688-type-2-enneagram-profile.html

Regarding the 1w9, I'm not really the type to withdraw from stress. I tend to take a more active role in things that I feel need to be changed, rather than sitting back. When extremely frustrated, or in an unhealthy state, however, I tend towards compulsive actions- cleaning, organizing, etc. "Going with the flow" doesn't do it for me in the slightest. I don't have any qualms about bringing up sensitive issues to those close to me, whether or not it may offend them, as I think fixing any issues outright is more profitable in the long run.
The 1w2 description seems to fit a bit better, in some regards. I find myself quite frequently being the one to take care of others, and tend to adapt my behavior to whatever it is they need at the time. I'm not so much physically expressive, but it can be a tool to be used to better someone's mood. I'm quite family oriented, planning holidays and birthdays is something I do well with. I am, however, quite aware that when I give, and get nothing in return, can become a bit miffed, and simply remember that occurrence for another time.

You sound like some type of 1, that is not self-preservation last. 1w2's tend to be much more aggressive and the social activist types. The 1w9s tend to be much more chill and tend to look a lot like Ken Watanbe's character from "The Last Samurai".

- - - Updated - - -

You sound like some type of 1, that is not self-preservation last. 1w2's tend to be much more aggressive and the social activist types. The 1w9s tend to be much more chill and tend to look a lot like Ken Watanbe's character from "The Last Samurai".