• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Enneagram type 5

VagrantFarce

That's not the best analogy for explaining personality, but it is the enneagram way.

Tritypes has opened up a new dimension of personality exploration. I'm generally wary of new theories, but after a few months of seeing tritypes on this forum I've finally come around to the new way of thinking about personality.

I'm sure intentions are good, but I can't help but think tritype is founded on a basic misunderstanding. It manages to undermine a lot by trying to explain too much. The types end up diluted, becoming a list of generalised characteristics rather than the all-pervading, distinctive world-views that they are.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure intentions are good, but I can't help but think tritype is founded on a basic misunderstanding of the enneagram. It manages to undermine a lot by trying to explain too much. The types end up diluted, becoming a list of generalised characteristics rather than the all-pervading, distinctive world-views that the 9 types represent.

What do you mean by an all-pervading, distinctive world-view?

VagrantFarce

What do you mean by an all-pervading, distinctive world-view?

I mean just that! The enneagram types aren't like dresses that you take on and off - they're describing base, unconscious assumptions that influence everything we think, do, say, feel, etc - assumptions that don't just magically go away because you're suddenly aware of them and you're going to "act like an eight" today.

What the enneagram helps us do is to manage these assumptions in ways that are constructive and healthy.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean just that! The enneagram types aren't like dresses that you take on and off - they're describing base, unconscious assumptions that influence everything we think, do, say, feel, etc - assumptions that don't just magically go away because you're suddenly aware of them and you're going to "act like an eight" today.

What the enneagram helps us do is to manage these assumptions in ways that are constructive and healthy.

Oh, so you mean assumptions about the world in general. Well, if there can be a wing-type, then why not a tritype?

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I wouldn't recommend using wings in your tritype, better to keep it simple. I also think you will find this easier with more information.

Yes, I read some info. Not much I can get, but I think I'm 541.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I haven't discuss about my actual enneagram, I hope others can give some insight.

I'll give a short explanation about my enneagram tritype:

5w6= As a 5, I like to observes things and learning, if I have a trouble, 6 takes over (doubt). Type 6 = Keep an eyes to both of your friends and enemies. (I'm sure type 6 know this very well, and as an INTJ, I didn't get fools twice)
4w5= Identity seeker and knowledge seeker, I'm logical thinker.
1w9= I tend to see a flaw and try to fix things, I take a bath twice a day, I like to take care of my health. As a nine, I dislike conflict.

Any insight?

5w6 and 1w9 are my actual enneagram, except for 4w5 and 3w4. I'm more to 3w4 than 4w5 because I don't have tendencies to kill myself, I'm not interested in politic, I'm not materialistic and I've been successful to finish my study, buy a land for my family and live far away from my parents. I always wanted to go out from home actually, I visited them once a year.

That is simple explanation about my enneagram.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm no expert, but tritype makes sense to me. The enneatypes are grouped into head, heart, and gut groupings. Whichever grouping our primary type falls under, we still use the other two aspects. A 5 like myself still engages the heart and the gut, for instance. It seems reasonable, then, to consider the various ways we might do this.

VagrantFarce

I'm no expert, but tritype makes sense to me. The enneatypes are grouped into head, heart, and gut groupings. Whichever grouping our primary type falls under, we still use the other two aspects. A 5 like myself still engages the heart and the gut, for instance. It seems reasonable, then, to consider the various ways we might do this.

I agree, everyone uses their heart, gut and mind in equal measure (or at least, the well-adjusted do).

My problem is that the types really only reveal themselves when people are out of balance with their other centres, which I think is what really defines them. So to say that you're a 5, but also a 3, but also a 9, seems to dramatically miss the point in my opinion, since they're all extremely different forms of egotism and lay on completely different spectrums.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, everyone uses their heart, gut and mind in equal measure (or at least, the well-adjusted do).

My problem is that the types really only reveal themselves when people are out of balance with their other centres, which I think is what really defines them. So to say that you're a 5, but also a 3, but also a 9, seems to dramatically miss the point in my opinion, since they're all extremely different forms of egotism and lay on completely different spectrums.
I don't give the three tritype numbers equal weight. I see it more as: I'm a 5, so I rely on my head more, with a 5 perspective. To the extent that I engage my gut, it is more like a 1 than an 8 or 9; heart involvement is like 4 rather than 2 or 3. The analogy is imperfect, but it is a bit like saying: while I am not much of an athlete, I favor solitary, noncompetitive sports like jogging, hiking and cycling. Specifying how I engage in this area does not put it on a par with my stronger and more comfortable areas of life.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To say I am "a Five" is a manner of speech. I am all types, but in varying degrees.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To say I am "a Five" is a manner of speech. I am all types, but in varying degrees.

As are we all. Good to see somebody admit it on here occasionally.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This seems to be what one is essentially doing when one assigns wings to the tritype: weighting all nine of the enneatypes by how strongly they reflect our motivations and makeup. Considering points of integration and disassociation (not sure if these are the right terms) pulls in other types as well.

VagrantFarce

It's better to say that we can resemble (or "relate" to) any of the types, on a superficial level. But when it comes down to identifying your overcompensating ego, the 9 patterns are very hard to blur together because they're laid on such fundamentally different experiential foundations.