• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Fashion Style & YOU

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is your personal style and how might you relate that to your type?

Do you think your enneagram type (including wing & instinctual stack!) influences your personal style of dress/grooming?

Do you think your MBTI type plays any role also?

Below is a page concerning enneagram type fashion styles. It's obviously a generalization, but I found it pretty decent when comparing it to people I know and their type.

Focus on the idea of how they are described as approaching dress/grooming over literal styles (as culture and location and job, etc, can influence this also). For instance, instead of taking "nerdy" too literally for the 5, see it as meaning there can be a bit of disinterest or obliviousness to appropriateness or attractiveness.

http://notwhollyinvain.blogspot.com/2011/03/enneagram-fashion-style.html

Here's the very brief run-down for each:

1 - classic, simple, refined, geometric lines, minimalist, modest

2 - romantic and strong, bold but soft, cute, accessorized, draws affection

3 - professional, well-tailored, american sportswear, attention-grabbing, preppy

4 - unique, vintage, edgy, often weird and random, trendy, clashing, raw

5 - nerdy, unnoticeable, comfortable, functional, bland but odd

6 - earthy, coordinating, stylish without being overdone, complementing

7 - cheery, bright colors from nature, outdoorsy, fun, flirty

8 - confident, stark, bold, well-constructed, precisely fitting, durable

9 - relaxed, repetitive, elements from nature, harmonious, bohemian

Didn't read through the extended descriptions because I'm off to class soon but initial impressions based on the pictures alone:
1. None of those clothes seem substantially different in style from enneagram to enneagram. The main differences appear to lie in colour and accessorizing.
2. I looked at the mirror to check what I was wearing ... and yeah, tatty blue jeans and a mostly nondescript blue t-shirt complete with nerdy inside joke. Hahaha. e5 represent!

And finally ... I like the 1 aesthetic (based on your summary at least) but somehow manage to end up making them look untidy on me. Must be the sheer force of my personality. :alttongue:

I also have a habit of picking up cute, slightly eccentric clothes, getting shy after I put them on, and covering them up with a totally drab sweater, so 5w4/4w5 seems to cover that, I guess.

rav3n

8 - confident, stark, bold, well-constructed, precisely fitting, durable
7 - cheery, bright colors from nature, outdoorsy, fun, flirty

Sounds about right and yes, here and there I have a love for the colour red, sometimes flirty clothing, and some neutrals.

8w7

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
The ones most like me (in order from most like me to least like me) are 5, 1, 9, and 7.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great stuff!
Fives, if they are not super integrated, will tend to be creatures of habit and wear the same two pieces of clothing like every other day … because a Five can't be concerned with such "lesser" things like fashion or style. They have other things to worry about, thank you. For many Fives, they just don't care, and it shows.
what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this.jpg

I used to wear a fancy watch that got me more compliments than I'd be comfortable with...also it was analog. More charming, less functional. I ended up giving it to my 6w7 brother and now I'm pretty happy with my sport watch that doesn't call much unwanted attention. If people wanna compliment something they'd rather compliment me, not the stuff I'm wearing. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't read through the extended descriptions because I'm off to class soon but initial impressions based on the pictures alone:
1. None of those clothes seem substantially different in style from enneagram to enneagram. The main differences appear to lie in colour and accessorizing.
2. I looked at the mirror to check what I was wearing ... and yeah, tatty blue jeans and a mostly nondescript blue t-shirt complete with nerdy inside joke. Hahaha. e5 represent!

And finally ... I like the 1 aesthetic (based on your summary at least) but somehow manage to end up making them look untidy on me. Must be the sheer force of my personality. :alttongue:

I also have a habit of picking up cute, slightly eccentric clothes, getting shy after I put them on, and covering them up with a totally drab sweater, so 5w4/4w5 seems to cover that, I guess.

orangeappled said:
Focus on the idea of how they are described as approaching dress/grooming over literal styles (as culture and location and job, etc, can influence this also). For instance, instead of taking "nerdy" too literally for the 5, see it as meaning there can be a bit of disinterest or obliviousness to appropriateness or attractiveness.

;)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 5 with the stripey shirts, jeans, functional outfits, button-down tops, peacoat... yep... this looks like my closet. :laugh:

Type 1 looks like a couple things I'd wear too, bits of 6 as well.

N

NPcomplete

Ha that was pretty tough. From glancing at my closet just now, I can see strong elements from 5 and 4 and (pretty strong) hints of 3 and 8.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I have clothes I wear from every category shown, except 6 and 2.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hum... basing on the colors I like to dress, I would be 1, 4, 2 and 8.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1, 6 and 9 fit me the best. 3 and 4 the least.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just because I dress mostly in black doesn't mean I'm an 8. It's just the tendencies of 8s to dress that way. I wouldn't hold that as basis.

I dress in black mostly because it's easy to pair and it doesn't make me look fat.
I wear vertical lines so that it doesn't widen me; doesn't make me look fat.
I buy high quality products because I know my budget isn't much and I want something that lasts me long so I don't have to keep paying for replacements.
I stick to monochromatic colors because again, it's easy.

Probably not type related, but I hate synthetic fabrics. I hate the rubbery feelings and I can't breathe in it.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I looked at the type 4 one and went, "pfft, violet? I never wear violet". Then I looked down and realised I'm in a purple T-shirt with some dreamy 4-like image on it. :mellow: :whistling:

EDIT: In fact, I just found a picture of it online, but the colour is more like on the right:

0.365x365.jpg
images

I must say on the whole I'm more like the 5 description. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of standing out too much and really I'm too lazy to make much of an effort.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I looked at the type 4 one and went, "pfft, violet? I never wear violet". Then I looked down and realised I'm in a purple T-shirt with some dreamy 4-like image on it. :mellow: :whistling:
This pretty much exactly happened to me. :laugh: I was all like "come on, I love color, gray is so BORING" and then I realized that I have so much freaking gray in my wardrobe. :doh:

Re: the OP (i.e. enneagram, MBTI and clothes)... in the link and in the summaries, I related to 1, 3 and 6 the most. But for a more detailed description: I like color, but I like color that's flattering on me, which means not a lot of brights -- and certainly no neon! But I am not at all afraid of other bright colors, or bold prints. There's an element of modesty (limited cleavage, almost no skirts above fingertip length, never showing both leg and cleavage), just because I don't like it when people stare, and the sorts of guys I attract when I dress like that tend to creep me out. There's also an element of practicality (e.g. I never, ever wear heels higher than 2 inches; why would anyone want to do that to their feet? Studies have been done. You get permanent foot damage!). But what I strive for is a look that's put together, trendy (but not enough to be annoying), and generally beyond criticism. <-- Type 1!

Also, I never ever dress down when I'm at home, vs. when I'm out and about. I feel differently based on what clothes I'm wearing and if I wear pajamas or sweatpants during the day, I feel unmotivated and lethargic. Wearing fun clothes keeps me energized.

EDIT... Current outfit:
- Light gray Obey Giant men's t-shirt that I got for free
- Purple shawl-necked knit sweater/bolero
- Dark wash skinny jeans that earlier today were tucked into Frye engineer boots but are now tucked into fluffy slippers
- Western-style leather belt that I got at Yellowstone over winter break
- Stacked beaded bracelets, of varying shapes but all black/gray

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to this, I dress like a type 8 with elements of type 4. I have almost no violet in my wardrobe, but interesting, funky cuts and textures abound. I am fond of bold, high-contrast items, and I have more black and white than anything else. Red, military green, and grey appear with some frequency.

I love boots, buckles, straps, lace, etc. My modest, conservative enneatype evidently has little influence on my fashion sense.

Poet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear...'

In my youth I used to put tons of effort into my appearance. Everytime I bought something new I couldn't sleep well from the excitement to wear it the following day. At times I wore completely absurd things, such as a green alien earring, a glowing yellow jacket or a dolphin ring (lol). Things like that. The problem with this was that I grew older to feel very shallow in the social realm; that people notice only the me that is outside. Me = How I look, and nothing more. It didn't correspond with my inner world and thus felt really wrong. One thing led to another, and today as much as I still care much for my appearance, I don't put much effort in this area. Can't remember the last time I went shopping... the last item I bought was a vintage sunglasses from the '80s, which I turned into glasses. Even that I bought from my cousin who works in antiques and vintage trading.

I assume you'll be able to guess my type. :i

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I still don't know my actual enneagram, but all my clothes mostly black, navy and some other color. I like to wear slack, jeans, T Shirt, and some formal clothes. It depends on the place where I'm going for. I like to wear high heels, sometimes sport shoes and sandals.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Scanning over the pictures and stuff, 8. It's probably the bitch heels that I always wear. And the military coats, and the colorblocking, and the jewelry that could probably murder you. Looking like I wandered off a runway is a pretty good feeling.