• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Fashion Style & YOU

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This pretty much exactly happened to me. :laugh: I was all like "come on, I love color, gray is so BORING" and then I realized that I have so much freaking gray in my wardrobe. :doh:

Re: the OP (i.e. enneagram, MBTI and clothes)... in the link and in the summaries, I related to 1, 3 and 6 the most. But for a more detailed description: I like color, but I like color that's flattering on me, which means not a lot of brights -- and certainly no neon! But I am not at all afraid of other bright colors, or bold prints. There's an element of modesty (limited cleavage, almost no skirts above fingertip length, never showing both leg and cleavage), just because I don't like it when people stare, and the sorts of guys I attract when I dress like that tend to creep me out. There's also an element of practicality (e.g. I never, ever wear heels higher than 2 inches; why would anyone want to do that to their feet? Studies have been done. You get permanent foot damage!). But what I strive for is a look that's put together, trendy (but not enough to be annoying), and generally beyond criticism. <-- Type 1!

Also, I never ever dress down when I'm at home, vs. when I'm out and about. I feel differently based on what clothes I'm wearing and if I wear pajamas or sweatpants during the day, I feel unmotivated and lethargic. Wearing fun clothes keeps me energized.

EDIT... Current outfit:
- Light gray Obey Giant men's t-shirt that I got for free
- Purple shawl-necked knit sweater/bolero
- Dark wash skinny jeans that earlier today were tucked into Frye engineer boots but are now tucked into fluffy slippers
- Western-style leather belt that I got at Yellowstone over winter break
- Stacked beaded bracelets, of varying shapes but all black/gray

grey, boring? =o.. switch places with me, i love everything tepid, dull, dark.. just anything which doesnt stab eyes with a painful blow.

nothing is quite as beautiful as that which doesnt offend, yet matches the personality of its wearer with perfection.

its ridiculous how much clothes affect the image i give, even if i act the exact same wearing t shirt + sweaty pants, but with attire making me look all fantasy scifey that perfectly matches every piece of clothing, colouring, as well as my personality.. that of something not from this planet.

and i can see the effects on others, even if im immune to allowing it affect myself.. (only if i feel good, that is -.- ..) but really, only in first impressions as it builds the basis of image another has of me. Se's just judge people entirely based on their clothings + body language cooperation to said clothings, ive noticed.

well, you know it doesnt look that good to act all proper and give a dreamy pose with graceful movements.. however, combine that with clothings matching it perfectly and it becomes a significant strength, something i pride and enjoy myself for. otherwise others get the your not from this planet, yet you look like you were on the first sight -impression. which on other hand builds the "your weird" comments when clothes dont match your personality. although not mentioned, ", but i like it." is how the comments always end for me. i suppose theres nothing abnormal when your clothings match it perfectly, as then i can give complete dreamy gentleman image and not just half, thus being complete. (and in such set, people have never given those afore mentioned comments to me.)
hm.. yeah, i imagine it'd be weird to see someone like me not dressing all uniquely yet behaving so.

the only people ive met using bright colours without failing at it has been an entj and an isfp.

on the grid, if it didnt came clear from reading my post, i relate to 1 and four only.
and maybe nine in the sense of everything fitting in perfectly, as colouring choices of my sets alone consider skin colour, hair as well as eyes to match perfectly.

and my primary clothe set is rather obscure. sandals, scarf, hoodie, through the whole year. and temperatures vary greatly here in finland, yet i prefer sandals with socks wet of snow rather than wet of sweat.

i find it verry interesting how clothings affect the very wearers mood providing he/she has Si in their set, as Se's dress for others. (hunt for self aware intj's to prove it, theyll wear.. just about anything without any regard for their own comfort. um, like every day in your best suit, not sweaty socks? not going to boil yourself? not that different to me, only my best suit is very comfy.)

if i dress in way which isnt out of ordinary, i just cant feel like myself.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1 - classic, simple, refined, geometric lines, minimalist, modest

2 - romantic and strong, bold but soft, cute, accessorized, draws affection

3 - professional, well-tailored, american sportswear, attention-grabbing, preppy

4 - unique, vintage, edgy, often weird and random, trendy, clashing, raw

5 - nerdy, unnoticeable, comfortable, functional, bland but odd

6 - earthy, coordinating, stylish without being overdone, complementing

7 - cheery, bright colors from nature, outdoorsy, fun, flirty

8 - confident, stark, bold, well-constructed, precisely fitting, durable

9 - relaxed, repetitive, elements from nature, harmonious, bohemian

based on this, I am 3>8>4>7>2>1>6>5>9

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oddly enough, I related most to 2, then 3.

mcgooglian

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm 9w8 and I pretty much just wear shorts and a t-shirt (hoodies in the winter) all year round. All of my clothes are made for comfort and being able to run around in them and in terms of color, I go back and forth between light (white-grey range) and dark (black, dark blue and so on).

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess

I feel like I fit into 5 with this list. Hoodies/jeans for any informal setting. Batman tshirts, teenage mutant ninja turtles.... And various other clothing that you might find in the little boys section of the store. If i'm dressing up more nicely, it might fall into the 6 descriptions. I'm ok with this.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This:

With an aspiration towards this, if I were just a bit more brave...

But, that's pretty spot on for me being a 6. Interesting.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Mmm, another sign that I'm not an 8. :sigh:

7 - cheery, bright colors from nature, outdoorsy, fun, flirty

9 - relaxed, repetitive, elements from nature, harmonious, bohemian

Yes, yes, and yes

8 - confident, stark, bold, well-constructed, precisely fitting, durable

Mmmmm........no. Not stark, not necessarily durable. Not really precisely fitting. I like tailored clothes but I seriously wear PJs during the day when I'm home. Some days, I want to walk around and do errands in my PJs and a hoody, the only reason I don't is I'm aware this could make me look like I just escaped a clinic.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
1, 6, and 5 when I was younger (though I know real fives that dress like a crumpled piece of crap, so if that's what they mean by "functional" and "bland" then no, I don't do that shit.) Mostly 1, though.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think by itself '5' doesn't mean anything for fashion. There are a lot of Ps as well as Js (I'm thinking spefically INTX) who are 5s. Fantasy archetypes of the old white wizard wearing a potato sack and mismatched shoes for comfort remind me of 5 fashion. But INTJs in general are clean and well-put together. I know a 5 who is a very sharp, well-put together dresser...most of the time...until he gets into t-shirt territory and then it's just :doh: I know another 5 who does the typical INTP "maybe I've been wearing this outfit for a week now I don't remember" shtick.

Wait:

I take it back. It says nothing about 'clean-pressed' or 'frumpy' there. That sounds pretty accurate then. :alttongue:

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My clothing choices are... inconsistent, to say the least. So I associate with several of those. I generally wear things I like, regardless of style, though if I had to narrow it down I do gravitate towards more neutral, natural colours such as shades of brown, cream, and dark green, or clothing with abstract bird or animal motifs (or interesting designs such as what one might find on TeeFury or Threadless, for example). I also quite like blood red.

Shoe-wise, I own a lot of high heels as well as flats like Converse, but I can walk well in heels so they aren't as impractical as they might be.

KDude

I think I probably dress fairly plain. Comfortable things. Mostly jeans and t-shirts. Kind of hate jewelry. I don't like drawing too much attention. Sometimes there's something unique I'd like to wear, but I find some other clothing to play it down. I hate looking too square or neat though, like polo shirts and shit. If I have to dress up, it'll be a long sleeve button up. And I probably won't tuck it in (just because it's uncomfortable).

I'm probably 6.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Normally plain, not so bold but a bit odd. I guess comfort is the first thing

9, 4 then 5 in order, me is E9-4-?

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This pretty much serves as a good default for me. I do try to match, but I don't waste too much time thinking about it. I'll never take more than 5 minutes to get dressed. I will say though that I don't wear dirty or ripped clothes unless I'm doing physical work somewhere. If It's a special occasion though, I don't mind dressing up at all. I guess the 3 in my tritype kinda takes over :p

vvv also, skip to 0:15 :p vvv
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNdgLIDTEv4"]What are you wearing?[/YOUTUBE]

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh boy, I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread! Reading the responses was quite interesting.

I couldn't read the blog post b/c it's private now, but going from the OP:

What is your personal style and how might you relate that to your type?
My style is very much vintage 40's and 50's, along with some modern elements, lots of novelty prints and mixing of hard/soft (true to the predicted for a 4). All through middle and high school I used what I wore to express myself loudly, heck I even had green Dr. Martins in 4th grade (with rainbow laces). In High School my style started to become more vintage, (and less "loud for the sake of being loud") as I became fascinated with history. I was raised watching TCM in a house full of antiques though, so I suppose that was inevitable. :)

I relate my style to my type a lot, my main motive for dressing differently was because I felt different and had a very prideful distaste for the popular. I think part of it is linked to self worth too, as a teen I felt that my individuality was my value (which of course, now I know is not true).

Do you think your enneagram type (including wing & instinctual stack!) influences your personal style of dress/grooming?
Yes. As I already said above, feeling different caused a desire to outwardly express that to others. One of the main reasons (besides upbringing) that pulled me to vintage/historical fashion is the genuine story there-- the fact that each garment has lived a least one entire lifetime before me. As a 4, I find that anything that has a real, true story intruiges me. There is of course the creative aspect of 4's that also plays into my style in a giant way! Though I can be a pretty serious/intense individual, I love to wear a variety of colors and novelty prints (not all at once though). Sometimes I feel like Ms. Frizzle, but I'm okay with that.

The trademark 4 envy/competitiveness doesn't affect my style as an adult, and I'm actually often sad that I don't have more vintage-minded friends. As a teen though, I would be very cold toward anyone who "copied" me. :doh: Oh, well. Past is past. I must admit though, one of the perks to wearing authentic vintage (I'm not talking vintage-inspired reproduction. Real vintage that some doll wore in 1943) is that each peice is usually one-of-a-kind. This guarantees that no one else will be wearing what I'm wearing (Ack, my 4 is showing :blush:).

My 5 wing does play a part I believe, in adding a hardness to my otherwise femine style. Because I wear a dress or skirt literally 90% of the time, I (who was a tomboy my entire childhood) feel the need to mix in hard/masculine details for balance (with my personality perhaps?). Be that my favorite leather, 20's-inspired motorcycle boots, more severe hairstyle or a collar on my shirt or dress.

I guess my sx/sp plays a bit into my style too. Perhaps I'll blame red lipstain on sx, and my indifference to others opinions of my style on sp!

Do you think your MBTI type plays any role also?
Probably! I'm pretty new to the MBTI and just solidified my type this week. After I'm confident in my knowledge about it, perhaps I'll come back and ammend this section.

B

brainheart

I'd say INFP so/sx four comes into play big time with my clothing choices.

As a kid I sewed all of my clothes, so no one had clothes like me. Everyone else was very label conscious and I think something about no label appealed to me tremendously. (And it's fun to sew.) That said, most of my patterns were Esprit (very cool mid eighties) so there was an element of fashion awareness to it, but instead of just wearing the clothes I took the designs and changed them. (I should add that from 1st- 12th grade I wore a school uniform, so the special days where we didn't wear them, I really felt like I needed to come out with something personally expressive and unique to wear.)

As far as now goes, everything I buy comes from thrift stores- it's pretty much been that way since high school. Part of that has to do with environmental concerns, part of it has to do with being poor and not wanting to waste money on clothes, but mainly it has to do with getting something unique and interesting. You go to a regular store and there will be a rack of the exact same thing. It feels more like they're telling you what to wear. I find that incredibly off-putting.

I have my days where I really want to make a statement with how I dress and I'll go all out. Other times I want to kind of disappear. I don't want to disappear too much, though. I get depressed if I look too normal. When I'm feeling especially like I don't want anyone to talk to me I wear my glasses and black t-shirt with the scary monster face on it. (I actually call this my antisocial 5w4 shirt, har.)

I have some clothing rules:

No sweatpants or workout clothes. (I hate to even wear work out clothes when exercising. It's a major personal struggle that keeps me from doing a lot of things, because I don't want to don the gear, ha ha. I think a lot of this has to do with living in an extremely casual, fitness-oriented, exercise clothes-wearing town. I mean, don't you have anything other than yoga pants, barefoot shoes, and fleece jackets?) I really don't want to wear the official town uniform.

NO RUNNING SHOES AND JEANS. (shudder)

No shoes that destroy my feet, but no ugly shoes. (This one is really tricky.)

No standard shape t-shirts. (I have to alter them in some way.)

Nothing overly trendy. I like to wear a subtle mixture of avant garde, indifference, dark, weird, and classic. But as I type this, I am wearing something incredibly boring. You may not think this from reading it, but I don't like to give what I wear too much thought. :huh: I actually wear many things until they completely fall apart.