• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My New Enneagram

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have presented here my theory on a new form of the Enneagram that I have created. I welcome any and all advice, critique, discussion, etc. So please, tell me what ya'll think of it :)

New Enneagram

Non-Adjacent Wings
Given that the current method of incorporating adjacent wings doesn't make any sense nor has any reason behind it, I think that any given type should be able to be paired with any other respective type. In fact, the only reason for adjacent wings is because of the arbitrary design of the current system; all enneagram models thus far have focused on a circle and particular pattern of type arrangement, however there is no logical foundation for why the types must be arranged in this method in the first place. Therefore since that aspect of the model is both senseless and unnecessary, I think it would be best to simply get rid of it. So as follows, these would be the given number of possible types:

1w2
1w3
1w4
etc.

Thus there will be a grand total of 72 individual types.

Separation from Tri-Type and Integration Points
Considering the fact that there's now 72 individual types, the idea of having a tri-type theory may seem redundant and unnecessary, as well as overly complex and convoluted. However, given the unique and diverse nature of individual people, addition of the tri-type may make sense given that it could box people into very specific niches concerning their own personalities.

Integration points are both counter-intuitive and possess a sheer lack of evidence to validate its realness. Therefore I would rather keep it separate from the new system, especially with the presence of new types (explained below).

However I should point out that under my system, both tri-type and integration points can be included into the system at any time, or simple excluded entirely. My system remains intact regardless of the presence of tri-type or integration points.

Possible New Types
Given that enneagram types are ultimately dependent on motivations/fears, it would only seem logical then that there should exist any given number of possible motivations/fears that can be incorporated. There is no valid reason for why 9 types should be the set minimal and maximum amount. However, as of now I have not contemplated what other motivations/fears/types would be best to add to the new system, but further analysis and review with others may yield tangible results.

New Name
Given that the old enneagram shape will become completely irrelevant, the title of 'enneagram' will simple be confusing, especially in part with the older enneagram models. Therefore I think a new name for this system is in order. As it stands a new name has yet to be decided on, but it is not of immediate nor dire importance.

Altering the Instinctual Variants
As it currently stands, the instinctual variants are suppose to divide any given enneagram type into a new type by means of a certain drive; the self, sexual, and social. However, I feel that the current definitions of them are far too specific and read like individual types of their own. So I would broaden them to incorporate the simple attraction to things; sp = attraction to self and immediate environment, sx = attraction to close others and merging intensity, so = attraction to greater sphere of group and society. Also, while stacking will still be an integral part of the system, there is no reason to assume that any one person must be inferior in any given instinctual variant; it is possible to be equally strong among sp, sx, and so.

EDIT: post # 2600 :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm headed out soon, but I'll take a look when I can...Good for you!

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks you :)

Have you forseen the possible bad events that may arise from this thread? No matter, I deal with them in a constructive and respectful manner.

I know YOU will, but our enneagram "expert" might not be so keen on this idea of yours.

mustacheman

MBTI Type
ENFP
I got a little bored with the MBTI so I've been looking into the Enneagram lately.

The first thing I found is that everyone is trying to make their own version. Why? It's curious to me. But it's interesting too, there are so many different takes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're going to change the wings so that they are no longer "wings," you can change that name too while you're at it.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know YOU will, but our enneagram "expert" might not be so keen on this idea of yours.

Well as much as he disagrees he can be entitled to his opinion; if he wants to rant against it I'll let him.

I got a little bored with the MBTI so I've been looking into the Enneagram lately.

The first thing I found is that everyone is trying to make their own version. Why? It's curious to me. But it's interesting too, there are so many different takes.

I feel as though the current model isn't good enough and I want to improve upon it. of course, when everyone starts making their own system, things can get confusing (which is why it might be better if everyone agrees with one whol theory that proves to be best).

If you're going to change the wings so that they are no longer "wings," you can change that name too while you're at it.

Good point :yes: Maybe branches? Extensions? Either way I'll think of a clever name to substitute wings eventually.

mustacheman

MBTI Type
ENFP
I feel as though the current model isn't good enough and I want to improve upon it. of course, when everyone starts making their own system, things can get confusing (which is why it might be better if everyone agrees with one whol theory that proves to be best).

When I make mine, then. :harhar:

Well maybe not. :) How well all those new theories are put together though? But I was surprised the material from the main teachers is so sparse online. If it's just people trying to fill in blanks for themselves that's cool. Though MBTI stuff is not plentiful either, hmm. Anyway, I will try and keep with the original I think, for now at least. The other stuff like this is just fun.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I make mine, then. :harhar:

Well maybe not. :) How well all those new theories are put together though? But I was surprised the material from the main teachers is so sparse online. If it's just people trying to fill in blanks for themselves that's cool. Though MBTI stuff is not plentiful either, hmm. Anyway, I will try and keep with the original I think, for now at least. The other stuff like this is just fun.

Indeed, it's generally better to keep with older system than have just anyone make their own (which happenned to Socionics where several people from the 16types website rejected the Model A and created a weird JCF-Socionics hybrid thing).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10919]Savage Idealist[/MENTION]

6w7 Sp/??
perhaps 6w7>4w3>1w2

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6w7 Sp/??
perhaps 6w7>4w3>1w2

I'm leaning more towards wing 5, although I'm basically tied between the wings. So for now it's 6w5 sp/sx. As for the heart and gut fixes, yeah those are about right, although I'm still unsure of the 4 wing.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm leaning more towards wing 5, although I'm basically tied between the wings. So for now it's 6w5 sp/sx. As for the heart and gut fixes, yeah those are about right, although I'm still unsure of the 4 wing.

I don't see much 5 in you. you are intelligent and intellectual, but not in a 5-ish way. 5s hoard information because they fear the outside world and are uncomfortable until they understand it, so they build up knowledge as a fortification
you're more like a 7. fun, goofy, and more Id as opposed to Ego in terms of Freudian Agency

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't see much 5 in you. you are intelligent and intellectual, but not in a 5-ish way. 5s hoard information because they fear the outside world and are uncomfortable until they understand it, so they build up knowledge as a fortification
you're more like a 7. fun, goofy, and more Id as opposed to Ego in terms of Freudian Agency

That's certainly possible; I'll need to do more thinking into the matter.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nevermind, just saw what you wrote about integration.