• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram and Depression

Silveresque

How might each enneagram type react to depression? Are there differences in what it's like for each type? Also, is it possible for people who are at least mildly depressed to stay at average levels of development, or would it likely make them unhealthy and/or disintegrating?

VagrantFarce

How might each enneagram type react to depression? Are there differences in what it's like for each type? Also, is it possible for people who are at least mildly depressed to stay at average levels of development, or would it likely make them unhealthy and/or disintegrating?

How's this for a minefield of a question :D

I don't know if any type is more predisposed to being depressed than any other. It has a far-ranging list of symptoms, but everyone seems to agree on what it feels like. So I would contend that any type can be depressed, but it can reveal and express itself differently depending on the person - extending this to the enneagram, you could probably look at the lower levels of development and see what each type seems to become when depressed.

Silveresque

There's actually a thread on this in the Enneagram Institute forum, but I was hoping for a bit more detail.

(originally posted by marie in the above link)
I think "dry" refers to the emotional tone. Fives, supposedly have this dry depression.

A depressed Four is more likely to be feeling serious disturbances in emotional tone. Tears, sadness, acting out etc. A dry depression would manifest in a lack of interest in life, a hopelessness, a dullness. Life would lose its flavor.

I think Nines are prone to this; I've known Nines who didn't realize they were depressed as they've dissociated from the negative feelings.

(originally posted by J)
I think all types have tendicies to develop affective disorders -- my guess would be major for 4, some type of dysthymia for 5 and 9, possible episodes of major depression in 6 and 1, bipolar tendicies in 2 and 7 (Naranjo talks about mild bi-polar in nines -- clyclothymia). I also think there is a mood disorder that has yet to be idetified formally, which I think some 7s could have -- the opposite of dysthymia (chronic mild depression) like hypo-mania (chronic mild happiness).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well the enneagram institute speculates that low seratonin levels (well-being, contentedness, acceptance) are associated with 4, 6, and 8. and low dopamine levels (goal oriented, motivated behaviors) with 4, 5, and 9. and high norepenephrine levels (anxiety) with 5, 6, and 7.

i also think sx types tend to be the most volatile and addictive so they crash fucking hard. sp types are the most vigilant which can burn them out. and so types are the most personally avoidant and tend to overrely on the social reality and alliances to get them through their problems, which, when that doesn't happen, leaves them shockingly underprepared to deal with it on their own.

obviously these can turn from weaknesses to strengths, but these are the initial problematics that demand great skill to navigate and overcome.

S

SingSmileShine

I'm a 7, and I have a severe anxiety problem. When I'm depressed, I generally try to make myself more depressed...weird? I listen to sad music and just cry. And then I feel better!

I also deal with depression in a very strange way. I almost take some sort of solace in depression because it makes me feel emotional, human, and whole. I know that I am a strong person who's not afraid to acknowledge depression, and I'm optimistic enough to deal with it.

Anyone who has a problem with depression, chin up! So many people love you. :)

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SingSmileShine, I like your attitude very much ^__^

"A depressed Four is more likely to be feeling serious disturbances in emotional tone. Tears, sadness, acting out etc." ~Yeah, I'd say that's how I experience/d depression. (Was severe for much of last year, now mild and occasionally moderate, as it's been since mid-adolescence.) There was the whole "lack of interest" thing in a way, but it was more a case of being overwhelmed/occupied by emotional pain to a degree where I just didn't have the resources left to do things, so...more of a secondary problem rather than the primary one it seems to be in the "dry depression" described. Really, I do wish the condition would fuck off, as I'm sure most people prone to it do XD But I'm coping, so it's pretty good.

Anxiety is also an issue: in personality theory terms, it seems to be associated with the instincts, and a repression/denial of related needs. Essentially, I was pretty off-kilter and out of touch with myself for the majority of my adolescence--to an extent that, when I first got into Enneagram, my behavioural pattern was such that I was sure I had to be sp-first (very withdrawn and avoidant, repressing need for intensity, highly concerned with the social sphere but in denial about this and "spiting" others by denying them my presence, etc).
..Yeah. I could go on, but am tired. May elaborate more on the latter point later.