• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plastic Personalities

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting, because I identify a lot with Rango and deliberate over 3 and 6 (not so much 5 anymore) for myself.

To me, he embodied quite a bit of narcissism and wanted to put on an act to impress other people, he tends to be what other people need him to be, and he seems to embody plasticity as well. I thought those were type 3 traits--does a type 6 have those tendencies as well? Do you think he has type 6's need for security?

Rango is drawing on the energies of the 3 but he is not the 3 type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Instead of just saying "he reminds me of Don Knotts" (because of The Shakiest Gun in the West similarity, and you might not have seen that movie so that will be lost on you), I see a character who is fighting against insecurity. The plot of the movie drives him to act out the "heroic defender" role, in other words, he has to be the opposite of the coward that he starts out as. At first he only plays the hero role by drawing on the 3 energies, and only out of a need to survive; then he is accepted in the group and becomes a part of that group, although still playing a role (kind of like a type 6 glad-handing salesman); but in the long run he is forced to cast that aside and just be himself. The snake made his personal growth necessary, but it only occurred after a time of personal reflection and an external discovery upon being cast-out. Toward the end he is an unhappy paraiah, the group has rejected him, so he crosses the highway in despair not seeming to care about his fate (type 6 Level 7). As Riso writes, "they are disgusted with themselves for not having been tough enough to stand on their own two feet, to defend themselves, to be independent. They feel cowardly because they have not been able to sustain their aggressive stance, although not because they have not tried."

In the end, Rango uses his own intelligence and courage to outwit the natural predator and the evil mayor.

As an aside, it was obvious that the Mayor was the villain from the very first, wouldn't you agree? The whole movie was pretty easy to see through, and heavily laden with tropes and cliches, kind of what one would expect from a Western.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Wiki page on 'The Shakiest Gun in the West" states, "Haywood [Don Knotts] inadvertently becomes the legendary "Doc Haywood" after he guns down "Arnold the Kid" and performs other exploits (all with covert assistance from Penny).'

G

garbage

I couldn't get past the traits that I mentioned, but this along with your elaboration is a great way of putting it. It's worth remembering that types can 'draw on the energies' of other types. Perhaps, in this case, he draws on the energy of the 3 in order to serve the needs of his 'true type,' the 6.

As an aside, it was obvious that the Mayor was the villain from the very first, wouldn't you agree? The whole movie was pretty easy to see through, and heavily laden with tropes and cliches, kind of what one would expect from a Western.
I thought it was obvious upfront as well, but it was neat to see how the tropes played out in this one--though I've not seen many westerns.

I should give this Don Knotts film a try if it serves as 'source material' for this movie.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I couldn't get past the traits that I mentioned, but this along with your elaboration is a great way of putting it. It's worth remembering that types can 'draw on the energies' of other types. Perhaps, in this case, he draws on the energy of the 3 in order to serve the needs of his 'true type,' the 6.

I thought it was obvious upfront as well, but it was neat to see how the tropes played out in this one--though I've not seen many westerns.

I should give this Don Knotts film a try if it serves as 'source material' for this movie.

It's a great comedy, although I'm sure some would say it's the kind of comedy your parents or grandparents would love. I don't think Rango is a direct imitation of that movie, only that the character Rango takes some bits from Don Knotts' character. Knotts' character is more extremely nervous for the comedic effect it has. But his nervousness makes me want to chew my fingernails off because it's so intense. He was such a great actor.

I thought the voice-acting in Rango was superb, and the artwork was magnificent. But I thought the story was hackneyed. At the end there is a little more depth to it. Crossing the highway seems like a symbolic act of some kind. It's not just that he made it across, it also represents some kind of personal achievement.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

His true 6 needs are not obvious at first. A lone stranger naturally feels threatened and tries to adapt to the social environment. After being accepted as sheriff Rango feels attached to the group. He doesn't necessarily know, at first, that he wants any such attention. He doesn't necessarily know he's insecure. He doesn't go around saying it or even thinking it. Rango is very unconscious of his needs beyond surviving the present experience. Nor does he indicate that he's ever had to play any roles. Rango's Six traits come out through his social relationships. The "hero" role slowly becomes more and more real to him as he strives to maintain the image and prove himself worthy of his status. Soon enough, his eventual downfall becomes inevitable. Salvation comes through discovering his personal inner resources, in that he can be a true hero to himself and not remain a phony in his own eyes.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"you try keepin it real when you should try keepin it right"

Psssssht whatever...haters just love to hate.