• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone else dislike their own types?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not liking mine. I'm sure you're not supposed to like it. They are more like afflictions, preventing you from getting where you want to be, that stubbornly ingrain themselves into the depths of your head to where you can barely reach them sometimes.

Too many people idealize personalities, they think it's a good thing to be scattered and that everyone who isn't sucks, or they think it's great to take 3 jobs and burn out and that it's completely normal. It's hard to wake them up... hard to know whether you should or not... hell, it's hard to wake up to it in the first place, that being 'yourself' can make things far worse for yourself, despite what all of the shows you grow up with lead you to believe.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP: sometimes, but I would like being an INTJ better
7w8: yes, but I would like 8w7 or 8w9 better
Sp/Sx: definitely. sometimes I think it would be more fun to be an Sx type, they seem to have stressful, volatile lives as a whole and it just doesn't seem worth it most of the time

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not liking mine. I'm sure you're not supposed to like it. They are more like afflictions, preventing you from getting where you want to be, that stubbornly ingrain themselves into the depths of your head to where you can barely reach them sometimes.

Well, we definitely are a mix of good and bad. Every strength has a corresponding weakness, especially if one has over-relied upon it. Growth involves the blossoming of nuance and developing various facets of the personality, not just the most obvious or largest.

Also, people tend to identify with their strengths, but to me life is a story we tell with our strengths about our weaknesses. IOW, the true drama is how we grew and/or overcame adversity based on what our weaknesses were, and our strengths are the tools we use to declare that story. The strengths aren't the story; they were just tools we started with, and so in terms of character they don't mean that much since we started with them. What a person does with his or her life in the weak spots seems to say more about them, and much of life is about working through those weak spots.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are some things about being an INFJ that I value, but society doesn't and that's been difficult to deal with. Then there are things about me that I don't care for or can see cause issues that I want to change. I don't hate my type, but do wish I was more balanced and am trying to work on that.

Silveresque

INFP - My life would probably be much better if I were an extrovert, and everyone would probably like me better that way too.
9w1 - I don't like being common, and that everyone thinks I must be mistyping myself because I have a weak sense of self and don't know who I am. I also don't like the "doormat" stereotype.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Too many people idealize personalities, they think it's a good thing to be scattered and that everyone who isn't sucks, or they think it's great to take 3 jobs and burn out and that it's completely normal. It's hard to wake them up... hard to know whether you should or not... hell, it's hard to wake up to it in the first place, that being 'yourself' can make things far worse for yourself, despite what all of the shows you grow up with lead you to believe.

I like my type fine. I like my likely enneagram type fine too. There are many pluses to them. Just because I am an INTJ type 8 doesn't mean I am without the ability to change what doesn't work or improve on weaknesses or recognize behavior that isn't an especially good idea. It's interesting to learn about your own personality but I don't put that much stock into it. Life experience and environment play a much larger role in the molding of a personality.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I wish I was more E. I think it would make some things easier, living in a society that seems to prize E traits. Same with J.

Sometimes I wish was more like a 7 or 8 enneagram wise. I feel too withdrawn as a 5/9.

Variant wise, I sometimes wish I had more SX but other times I'm glad I'm not SX because that would bring its own challenges.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Being an INTJ through teen age years and into early twenties was very difficult. I didn't understand myself, was very arrogant and used alcohol to hide my social deficiencies (although they actually exacerbated them). I would have preferred to have been an extraverted type during that period of my life. Now that I'm more mature I'm actually very happy with my type and it's really starting to work in my favor. It's ironic that even being my type is a good long term strategy! :)

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJ: No, I love my type. No other type will do.

I'm still unsure about my Enneagram type.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Why would you not be supposed to like your own type? It's all just a big collection basically of ways that you prefer to be. If you don't like the preferences then they are not part of your main type.

As for enneagram, as a type 7, of course I'm not going to like it when I am like a type 1 since that is 7's disintegration. A true type 1 is actually going to like those type 1 things about them and not like the type 7 as much, thinking they need to learn to do things that aren't fun :thelook: (just as I think the typical 1 needs to lighten up a little :tongue: )

The concept is pretty similar for MBTI. Why am I ENTP instead of ISFJ? Because I don't "like" it when I'm like an ISFJ :laugh: And it's not a typism sort of thing.... people who type themselves as ISFJ tend to be awesome at being them and it works for them. But it doesn't work for me to be one. I wouldn't like it and it would probably be an insult to those truly of that type anyway. So it's a pretty easy choice (Yes I know it's a more complicated psychological phenomenon than "like," and that there are 14 other types for me to choose from, but just pretending that doesn't exist right now for clarity ;) )

tl;dr- "Like" is an indicator of type. Never understood how self-type hate is possible...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like my mbti type, I think. I think it'd be between ISTP and INxJ, if I had to pick a favourite (for myself).

I don't see many positives about enneatype 6 though. It's just a good description of (some of) the negative aspects of my personality.

edit: being extroverted would absolutely be easier but it doesn't feel like "me", but then if I actually was that I guess it would feel like me, so I don't know about that one.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why would you not be supposed to like your own type? It's all just a big collection basically of ways that you prefer to be. If you don't like the preferences then they are not part of your main type.

As for enneagram, as a type 7, of course I'm not going to like it when I am like a type 1 since that is 7's disintegration. A true type 1 is actually going to like those type 1 things about them and not like the type 7 as much, thinking they need to learn to do things that aren't fun :thelook: (just as I think the typical 1 needs to lighten up a little :tongue: )

The concept is pretty similar for MBTI. Why am I ENTP instead of ISFJ? Because I don't "like" it when I'm like an ISFJ :laugh: And it's not a typism sort of thing.... people who type themselves as ISFJ tend to be awesome at being them and it works for them. But it doesn't work for me to be one. I wouldn't like it and it would probably be an insult to those truly of that type anyway. So it's a pretty easy choice (Yes I know it's a more complicated psychological phenomenon than "like," and that there are 14 other types for me to choose from, but just pretending that doesn't exist right now for clarity ;) )
tl;dr- "Like" is an indicator of type. Never understood how self-type hate is possible...

it's not quite that simple. lots of 8s for instance hate being 8s and wish they they were more gentle and didn't have to make everything so damn confrontational. lots of 4s wish they didn't have to make life so emotional and tragic, lots of 7s wish they focus and stop procrastinating, etc etc

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's not quite that simple. lots of 8s for instance hate being 8s and wish they they were more gentle and didn't have to make everything so damn confrontational. lots of 4s wish they didn't have to make life so emotional and tragic, lots of 7s wish they focus and stop procrastinating, etc etc

True :laugh: But that's developing within a type, not becoming another one. I'll take working on my own types weaknesses over working on a whole other mess of problems and losing my optimistic fun-bringing powers anyday.

On a semi-unrelated note, I suspect those especially who are talking about wanting to be extraverts really just want extravert-associated abilities. An E preference doesn't automatically come with dealing with the outer world better, it just makes things more miserable for you if you can't, because your focus is more out there and being stuck in yourself all the time makes you feel ill. So I really want to know - what is it that introverts want out of it?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True :laugh: But that's developing within a type, not becoming another one. I'll take working on my own types weaknesses over working on a whole other mess of problems and losing my optimistic fun-bringing powers anyday.

On a semi-unrelated note, I suspect those especially who are talking about wanting to be extraverts really just want extravert-associated abilities. An E preference doesn't automatically come with dealing with the outer world better, it just makes things more miserable for you if you can't, because your focus is more out there and being stuck in yourself all the time makes you feel ill. So I really want to know - what is it that introverts want out of it?

I mean, it's also largely a matter of circumstances.
for example: who is going to have an easier time surviving in the hood? an INFP 4w5 Sx/So or an ENTJ 8w7 Sp/So?
another example: let's say you're a dancer and you're an INTP 9w1 Sp/Sx, wouldn't your job probably be easier if you were an ESFP 3w4 Sx/So?

mikamickmac

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so
Whether you like your "type" or not will depend on whether you focus on the positive attributes or the negative attributes. If you focus on the negative attributes of your type and then compare them with what you see as positive attributes of another type then, of course, you are going to be dissatisfied with your type. What you need to remember is that your type is determined by your preferences. You can learn to be quite comfortable with with your non-preferences, thus enabling you to enjoy the positive attributes of your type AND the positive attributes of other types.

Silveresque

People complain all the time that I'm too quiet--especially my parents. I feel horrible because they expect me to socialize with them but I can't think of a single thing to talk about. On top of that, I suck at talking because I can't easily think and talk at the same time, so whenever I try to explain things I often word things awkwardly or forget to mention some important piece. No matter how hard I try, I can never express myself the way that I wish I could, which is extremely frustrating. So anyways, that's why I wish I were an extrovert. I'm not sure if being an extrovert comes with those skills, but it would probably at least help some.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for example: who is going to have an easier time surviving in the hood? an INFP 4w5 Sx/So or an ENTJ 8w7 Sp/So?

Neither, the ESTP 8w9 so/sp has both beat by a mile ;)

But srsly...

let's say you're a dancer and you're an INTP 9w1 Sp/Sx, wouldn't your job probably be easier if you were an ESFP 3w4 Sx/So?

If an INTP 9w1 who desires to be a full time dancer, you're going to best tackle it with the approaches of that type... perhaps tinkering with your dance and trying different approaches until it works perfectly, and making a peaceful but seriously determined impression. I don't think this is necessarily at a disadvantage compared to a more typical ESFP 3w4ish approach of "make a big impact, express myself, and impress the socks off of everyone at all costs until I'm a star." Well, maybe in a few cases, but one could probably fake that impression anyway and still keep what one gained in the othe type approach :D

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
My type is certainly not my favorite type, but I still like it

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither, the ESTP 8w9 so/sp has both beat by a mile ;)
But srsly...
If an INTP 9w1 who desires to be a full time dancer, you're going to best tackle it with the approaches of that type... perhaps tinkering with your dance and trying different approaches until it works perfectly, and making a peaceful but seriously determined impression. I don't think this is necessarily at a disadvantage compared to a more typical ESFP 3w4ish approach of "make a big impact, express myself, and impress the socks off of everyone at all costs until I'm a star." Well, maybe in a few cases, but one could probably fake that impression anyway and still keep what one gained in the othe type approach :D

I think you missed my point =)