• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Phases?

A

Anew Leaf

Is it possible to go through different phases within your tritype as you get older?

A

Anew Leaf

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you explain what you mean by 'phases within your tritype'?

Well, I have always typed as a 4 since I took the test back in college. For me it feels like type 4 is who I am at the end of the day when I am alone with myself and thinking about things, and how I approach things. When I have to be around people (work, family, friends) I am more apt to fall into an entertaining kind of a role... which has had lots of people asking me on the forum if I am a type 7 ENFP.

I was just curious if there was a way to explain my weirdness. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it possible to go through different phases within your tritype as you get older?

definitely. I can feel my 7w8, 8w9 and 4w3 pretty succinctly

7w8: polarizing, choleric, enthusiastic, attention seeking

8w9: protective, low key, dark yet gentle,

4w3: self absorbed, histrionic, DRAMATIC, superiority complex, constantly fighting the urge to talk about myself and what I think about things.

Silveresque

I can relate to this as well. I'm a 9 around others, a 4 when I'm alone, and a 6 when I'm problem-solving. Hmm...maybe that's why I keep changing types. :p

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe you are right. I don't think the Tri Type order is always permanent. I watch 3s and 9s and I can see myself behaving just like them, but for the most part I resist it.

4w3: self absorbed, histrionic, DRAMATIC, superiority complex, constantly fighting the urge to talk about myself and what I think about things.
Your level of self awareness is admirable. :laugh:

N

NPcomplete

I think so. In my day-to-day life, I probably alternate between 5 and 4. But I definitely have my 1/9 moments (I can't decide between 1 and 9 but one would be a wing of the other if I were to give my tritype wings.) as well.

Edit:

I was looking at the growth and stress "paths" and they make me wonder now.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Everything you list here can be explained by your 7w8 Sp/Sx Type only. Wich indicates to me that "trifix" is based on Barnum effect and nothing more.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does your base fear, desire and motivation change? My own experience is they don't, I relate rather strongly to two different E-types myself, but the base fear, desire and motivation for me is consistently E7. While we may express ourselves differently depending on where we are, underneath is still the same.

4 Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)
Key Motivations: Want to express themselves and their individuality, to create and surround themselves with beauty, to maintain certain moods and feelings, to withdraw to protect their self-image, to take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else, to attract a "rescuer".

7 Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled
Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

Where do you sit with that?

I was just curious if there was a way to explain my weirdness. :)

Saying that you're INFP isn't enough? :tongue:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does your base fear, desire and motivation change? My own experience is they don't, I relate rather strongly to two different E-types myself, but the base fear, desire and motivation for me is consistently E7. While we may express ourselves differently depending on where we are, underneath is still the same.

DEFINITELY 7 :D

A

Anew Leaf

Well, cutting it down to just that... I am definitely a four then. :hug:

That was easier than I thought ;).

A

Anew Leaf

Well, cutting it down to just that... I am definitely a four then. :hug:

That was easier than I thought ;).

Silveresque

Doesn't work for me...I relate to the basic desires of both 9 and 4, I think, but neither of the basic fears. :shrug:

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doesn't work for me...I relate to the basic desires of both 9 and 4, I think, but neither of the basic fears. :shrug:

I too, relate to more than one basic desire in types. In my case, 6 and 7.

You can figure out which type you are by asking yourself, "If I had to, which desire would I give up?" For me, I would have given up the 7 desire if push came to shove, leaving my enneagram type as 6.

Silveresque

I too, relate to more than one basic desire in types. In my case, 6 and 7.

You can figure out which type you are by asking yourself, "If I had to, which desire would I give up?" For me, I would have given up the 7 desire if push came to shove, leaving my enneagram type as 6.

Hmm...maybe. But I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly "peace of mind" is, since it means something different to different people. For now I'm interpreting it as being free from emotional pain. If that interpretation works, I think I would choose 9's desire over 4's.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...maybe. But I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly "peace of mind" is, since means something different to different people. For now I'm interpreting it as being free from emotional pain. If that interpretation works, I think I would choose 9's desire over 4's.

Hmm, interesting. Do you identify with 7 at all, since their desire is to avoid/escape pain?

Silveresque

Hmm, interesting. Do you identify with 7 at all, since their desire is to avoid/escape pain?

7's are like my complete opposite. I'm very introverted and not particularly cheerful or adventurous. I do think the motivation fits though, I just don't act on it in the same way that 7's do. I avoid pain by withdrawing.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
7's are like my complete opposite. I'm very introverted and not particularly cheerful or adventurous. I do think the motivation fits though, I just don't act on it in the same way that 7's do. I avoid pain by withdrawing.

That makes sense. From what you have said before and this, you do seem like a nine.

I find it fascinating how a lot of enneagram types have similar motivations, but they act on it in totally different ways.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Then you're 9.

The type who doesn't know who they are ;)

To compensate for being out of touch with their instinctual energies, Nines also retreat into their minds and their emotional fantasies. (This is why Nines can sometimes misidentify themselves as Fives and Sevens, “head types,” or as Twos and Fours, “feeling types.”) ...

We have sometimes called the Nine the crown of the Enneagram because it is at the top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nines can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativity of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones. However, what they generally do not have is a sense of really inhabiting themselves—a strong sense of their own identity.