• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] What's your Enneagram Tri Type?

B

brainheart

If I could be any other tritype, I'd be a 458. I really wish I had an eight gut fix. I think that's the thing that sucks about the one gut- I totally feel my anger, and there's so much energy there that I could use for something real, to help achieve the things I want to do-to hell with my super ego- but instead I just repress that energy and turn it against myself.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I might be 6-8-4, The Truth Teller.
I wonder if tritypes can change. I'm sure at one time I was probably 9 instead of 8, and I can still revert to 9 at times, when I don't think the situation deems worthy. Sometimes it's just not worth it to go through the trouble of being a truth teller lol.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not so dull. Here's a more detailed description of the overall archetype:

Well, "researching" isn't dull to me, but it doesn't exactly make for entertaining party stories :tongue:

It's very true of me, including the "persnickety know it all" bit :laugh:

I think the most interesting bit about my tritype is it explains that slight hard edge that a 1 gives. It also explains the perfectionism, conviction, idealism and my inclination to express my opinions quite forcibly, and I have a lot of them.

Yeah....I do the bolded so much it's almost hilarious to read it. The demeanor is just, er, stiffer than the other IFPs possibly appear. But being a 4 primary, there is still something little more kooky going on than the 145 description suggests. People tend to be surprised I'm not a goody-good or totally dry when they get to know me. The self-indulgence can go beyond info gathering also, but that's sort of a given for any 4.

If you are a 145, you are diligent, intuitive, and knowledgeable. You want to be ethical, original and wise. Highly intellectual, you are focused on what you perceive is correct and above reproach. Research oriented, you seek and quote the opinions of experts to avoid being seen as ignorant.

Your life mission is to study and learn as much as you can and then teach the wisdom of what you have learned to others. A true researcher, you are happiest using your investigative skills.

You can be so identified with the information that you have gathered and the correct way of doing things that you feel exhausted and can appear to be a persnickety know it all.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
7w6 3w4 9w8 , but I took this one http://www.enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html instead of the card one. It fits though... my 7 and 3 are really close. The 9 is just there to give chill pills to the other two :D

B

brainheart

This test gave me the exact same result, except that the 7 had an 8 wing. (Twilight zone music.)

(buttttt it doesn't fit.)

That test gave me 4w5/5w4/1w2. I would think I'd be more likely to be 1w9- But I've really had to tap into the two lately so maybe it's picking up on that.

lastrailway

Hmm, I took the sample test and I got both top and second ranked enneacard "Enneagram Type 5".

On the test posted by LunaLuminosity I got 5w6, 3w2, 1w9.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, "researching" isn't dull to me, but it doesn't exactly make for entertaining party stories :tongue:
So you mean to say that, "I was watching this interesting TED talk online the other day..." or "I recently read this article about a new study on..." aren't good conversation starters at parties? :huh:

This explains some things... :unsure:

:newwink:

Yeah....I do the bolded so much it's almost hilarious to read it. The demeanor is just, er, stiffer than the other IFPs possibly appear. But being a 4 primary, there is still something little more kooky going on than the 145 description suggests. People tend to be surprised I'm not a goody-good or totally dry when they get to know me. The self-indulgence can go beyond info gathering also, but that's sort of a given for any 4.
Well as the link Rasofy suggested, apparently, "451 is the most 5ish 4. Rational and scientific" - which would explain the things you mentioned. And I guess the 5 and 1 would seem to create a sense of dryness and rigidity - although it's strange that to others this would appear to overshadow the expressive, quirky and romantic nature of the 4. I suspect others think I'm dry and a bit of a goody good too. Not that they tell me - it's more of an impression of their impression.

Did you see the video Elfboy posted a while back? In it they compare a 451 and a 479 and you can see how much variation there can within the 4 (and probably equally within INFPs). It would be interesting to see what are the most common tritypes for the INFP 4s around here.

If you haven't seen it, here's the video (just skip to 46:13 to get to the 4 comparison)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well as the link Rasofy suggested, apparently, "451 is the most 5ish 4. Rational and scientific" - which would explain the things you mentioned. And I guess the 5 and 1 would seem to create a sense of dryness and rigidity - although it's strange that to others this would appear to overshadow the expressive, quirky and romantic nature of the 4. I suspect others think I'm dry and a bit of a goody good too. Not that they tell me - it's more of an impression of their impression.

Well, that's sort of what I meant; I don't think it entirely overshadows the 4 nature. It's hard to know what impression you give people, and context & preconceptions affect it a lot. Some do find me starry-eyed & quirky, but then they fail to note my bookish side.

Did you see the video Elfboy posted a while back? In it they compare a 451 and a 479 and you can see how much variation there can within the 4 (and probably equally within INFPs). It would be interesting to see what are the most common tritypes for the INFP 4s around here.

If you haven't seen it, here's the video (just skip to 46:13 to get to the 4 comparison)

Yeah, their comments are interesting. It's hilarious that the 451 has a similar job to me also.

I'm still not entirely convinced of tri-type because I continue to wonder if it's just a different way of explaining the same traits/motivations that some other aspect of enneagram explains also. Maybe I think this because my wing & integration point (5 & 1) are also in my tri-type.... What if it's the same thing with different names?

And what if the 479 is so 9ish appearing because they are actually a 9 mistyped as a 4 (maybe because they are disintegrating reactive, anxious 6 traits or integrating 3 image motivations)?

I notice those who focus on tritype don't put as much stock into wings & integration/disintegration, discussing them far less & even sometimes dismissing their effects, and I wonder if that is why.... the theories possibly conflict a little, or both are not necessary because they overlap too much.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, their comments are interesting. It's hilarious that the 451 has a similar job to me also.

I'm still not entirely convinced of tri-type because I continue to wonder if it's just a different way of explaining the same traits/motivations that some other aspect of enneagram explains also. Maybe I think this because my wing & integration point (5 & 1) are also in my tri-type.... What if it's the same thing with different names?

And what if the 479 is so 9ish appearing because they are actually a 9 mistyped as a 4 (maybe because they are disintegrating reactive, anxious 6 traits or integrating 3 image motivations)?

I notice those who focus on tritype don't put as much stock into wings & integration/disintegration, discussing them far less & even sometimes dismissing their effects, and I wonder if that is why.... the theories possibly conflict a little, or both are not necessary because they overlap too much.
Yes, you have a point but I am aware that my 1-like qualities are not always healthy and therefore can't be associated with integration and growth - being a persnickety know it all, for instance.

I suppose that the interrelated nature of the 3 types in a 451 would emphasize and ingrain the pre-existing links to a greater degree - it could create a heightened 4w5. :shrug:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes,you have a point but I am aware that my 1-like qualities are not always healthy and therefore can't be associated with integration and growth - being a persnickety know it all, for instance.

I suppose that the interrelated nature of the 3 types in a 451 would emphasize and ingrain the pre-existing links to a greater degree - it could create a heightened 4. :shrug:

Well, I've read you can integrate negative traits too! Or at least "average" traits.
That's what makes me think, "Hm, are these the same aspects of personality with a different name/explanation"?

Note this description of a 4 integrating average 1 traits (they call it "security" here, but other sources call it a form of integration). It's a perfectionist, critical attitude, aimed at themselves & others.

http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype4 said:
Security: (Four Goes to Average One)
With trusted intimates, or in situations in which Fours feel sure of themselves, they may risk being more openly controlling and critical of others. Their frustration with others and feeling of disappointment in how others are behaving (especially toward them) finally erupts. Fours can become impatient and critical, demanding that people meet their exacting standards, constantly pointing out how others have made errors. Nothing about the other person (whom they may have idealized and regarded as their longed for "rescuer") now satisfies them or gives them much hope or pleasure. Everything about the person and their situation becomes irritating and annoying and they can't seem to get the other person's faults out of their mind. Fours in this state may also compensate for their ragged emotions by driving themselves excessively, feeling that they are lazy and unproductive if they are not constantly working and improving.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes,you have a point but I am aware that my 1-like qualities are not always healthy and therefore can't be associated with integration and growth - being a persnickety know it all, for instance.

I suppose that the interrelated nature of the 3 types in a 451 would emphasize and ingrain the pre-existing links to a greater degree - it could create a heightened 4. :shrug:

Well, I've read you can integrate negative traits too! Or at least "average" traits.
That's what makes me think, "Hm, are these the same aspects of personality with a different name/explanation"?

Note this description of a 4 integrating average 1 traits (they call it "security" here, but other sources call it a form of integration). It's a perfectionist, critical attitude, aimed at themselves & others.

http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype4 said:
With trusted intimates, or in situations in which Fours feel sure of themselves, they may risk being more openly controlling and critical of others. Their frustration with others and feeling of disappointment in how others are behaving (especially toward them) finally erupts. Fours can become impatient and critical, demanding that people meet their exacting standards, constantly pointing out how others have made errors. Nothing about the other person (whom they may have idealized and regarded as their longed for "rescuer") now satisfies them or gives them much hope or pleasure. Everything about the person and their situation becomes irritating and annoying and they can't seem to get the other person's faults out of their mind. Fours in this state may also compensate for their ragged emotions by driving themselves excessively, feeling that they are lazy and unproductive if they are not constantly working and improving.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Oh god. That's me aged 14-18. :horor: Thank god that's over.

Hmmm, I don't know about tritype. Perhaps it's better to look at people with unusual combinations to see if it makes sense.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I'm not discounting it, but I'm not totally sold either. I know the idea is that these subtypes describe nuances, so that a 4 still has the essence of a 4 & there is a notable similarity, even if hard to define perfectly in words. The slight differences are meant to make the system more reflective of reality, which is that personality is more like a scale, like hair color, without perfectly distinct categories, and yet, you can define basic categories still. The more specific you become though, the harder it can be to actually find your match or to label others; it's easy to say you're a brunette, but if there are 20 swatches of brown, then which one do you pick as the same color as your hair? Does it become a matter of semantics to say you have reddish-brown hair vs. auburn? That's what I'm wondering about tritype vs wings/growth directions - is this semantics?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Personally I like the wings/growth system better -- it seems to explain more for me. Tritypes seem... a bit random.

I tried reading the descriptions for 4-5-1 and 4-5-9 and I can't decide. They are an okay fit, but I don't relate strongly with either of them.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm thinking 5-9-4 now. Except I'm not sure that I'm a triple withdrawn. I mean I can be pretty withdrawn, but a triple withdrawn? I don't know. I've also had 5-9-2 suggested on another forum but I'm having trouble seeing alot of 2 in myself.

The heart fix is the most confusing part of it for me.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I could be any other tritype, I'd be a 458. I really wish I had an eight gut fix. I think that's the thing that sucks about the one gut- I totally feel my anger, and there's so much energy there that I could use for something real, to help achieve the things I want to do-to hell with my super ego- but instead I just repress that energy and turn it against myself.

The 8 in yourself maybe make yourself more asertive...
But sometimes is really fucked up.... Specially with the 4 as a fix.
With the 1 you are ethical, righteous, and objective
With the 8 is all about the rage and powerness, along with the paranoid feeling to show your rage and sometimes you hurt a lot of people that you love and detach (5) and keep yourself in a self consciousnes that makes you feel the guilty and the victim... (4)

Im a 458 and yeah... The 8 helps me a lot to make myself strong in some ways, and to get what I want. But in my case my 4 and strong 5 makes me feel like a sullen boy with no need to conect with the world and with a desire/no capability to show any feeling of vulnerability (with the 8 and 5 is dificult) to make myself more tough and strong looking... But very often my core 4 wins over.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4-6-9...but it seems like I couldn't find a 4-5-9 since I get a 4-5 balance at times...hm...

B

brainheart

I wonder about all of this, too. I mean, I take the tritype test and it comes out 4w5/5w4/1w2. Sounds like a 4w5 to me. The fact that I've considered 471 because I see aspects of 7 at times- but sure as hell not full-blown seven, it comes in short bursts and leaves me exhausted- can be accounted for by my 5 wing (and also being a sexual variant).

To tack on to/reiterate what you say, I could see...

459= 9
451= 4w5
458= 5w4 or 8
461= 4w3 or 6
468= 6 or 8
469= 6 or 9
471= 4w3, 4w5 (avg to unhealthy), 7, 1
478= 7 or 8
479= 9 or 7

Just mulling it over, nothing close to definitive here...

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah, I really don't understand why you guys are so skeptical of tritypes. I say this because given the truth of the enneagram system, it seems obviously true that we have different preferences in each fix. I'm a 4w3 but that doesn't mean I don't think right, so how do I prefer to think? How do I act physically? I mean there are areas that the traditional enneagram theory simply doesn't cover. Granted, you may believe that your single digit type is ultimately what's going to describe you best and given the nature of the enneagram, that type is what's going to help you overcome your own problems. OK, fine, but why not just see tritypes as the icing on the cake then? For example, I'm a 479, my life's biggest problems personality wise root from seeking my identity - that is my core. However the 7 and the 9 help explain the other parts of my personality, and saying that I'm a 479 ultimately gives a fuller explanation of who I am than just saying I'm a 4. Maybe I just find tritypes more convincing because I'm a 4w3; meaning that both my type and my wing are in the image fix. It's easier for someone like a 4w5 to find that title useful, there's already a number in 2 different fixes (though that can be misleading of course). If your wing happens to be your second fix, you're super lucky. For a guy like me however, tritypes explain a lot. I doubt I can last a week in the weeping melancholy of a standard 4.