• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How strong is your wing?

How Strong is your Wing?

• I can't even tell which is my wing vs my main type

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • my wing is STRONGER than my main type

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • my wing and main type are of equal strength

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • my wing kicks ass

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • my wing is pretty strong

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • my wing is kinda weak

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I only know my wing because the other one is DEFINITELY not my wing

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have no wing

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have both wings

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I have both wings, but one is clearly stronger

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Under 25 I was a 4 with such a heavy 3 wing, that I actually looked like a 7. When I test I still type almost as much 3 as 4. However, 25+ I have definately started to see more of that 5 wing peaking through, which is really neat. I really enjoy the 4w5 charactoristics in myself. Oddly, while reading about enneagram from the enneagram institute, it was mentioned that a noticeably large amount of observed people seem to develop a heavy wing in the 2nd part of their life, the exact age range not being clarified. (Guessing 30+). And this is really not a surprise to me, as the real goal of the enneagram is to move around, utilize and embrace as many positive strengths of different types as possible. Balance. And my totally hypothetical guess is that the majority of people probably achieve balance with a few different e types in the course of their life, with truly enlightened people ?somehow? picking it up faster. I dunno, pure speculation. As for me, I definately can identify with 4w3, 4w5, 3w4, 6w7, 7w6, 7w8, and at very rare times, 3w2. I also thought I was Sx/sp but have come to see more clearly that I am really Sx/So. Makes for a completely whacky fucking personality at times to be sure. I've also found these concepts behind enneagram so dam enlightening and aligned with other spiritual ideas in my draw to taoism, buddhism, multiple life consciousness, .. that I've actually been toying with the idea of getting some artistic representation of it tatood on me! I know.. "so cliche" says the fucking 4... lol.

Sx 4w3s can look like 7s; Sx/Sp 7s can look like 4w3s

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
In terms of history and observable behavior, either a heavy 5-wing or a pronounced 9-wing, for the 4 and 1 respectively. It sucks because part of me likes the 4w3.

The Unknown Essence

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's impossible for your wing to be stronger than your main type. If that were possible, it wouldn't be a wing. It would actually be your main type.

Being a 5w4, I voted "my wing is pretty strong" as this is quite accurate for me. Having said that, I could not imagine being a 4w5.

Starry

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's impossible for your wing to be stronger than your main type. If that were possible, it wouldn't be a wing. It would actually be your main type.

I totally agree with this. I'm wondering though (I still have so much to learn with regards to enneagram)...do people go through periods in their lives when their wing really does express itself more powerfully? I feel like I've read something to this effect before but I'm not certain. All I know...is that when I first learned about enneagram...I was going through a pretty terrible/tragic time in my life...and subsequently became convinced I was a 6w7. I mean...I truly related to all things 6...and was behaving/expressing myself in a very 6ish type fashion. Today - not so much. It is clear to me now that I am a 7w6. I mean...I honestly believe I naturally possess a strong 6-wing...even when at my best. But I feel like it 'took-me-over' when under extreme stress. Still, I might be misunderstanding this whole thing. I don't know.

G

Glycerine

I totally agree with this. I'm wondering though (I still have so much to learn with regards to enneagram)...do people go through periods in their lives when their wing really does express itself more powerfully? I feel like I've read something to this effect before but I'm not certain. All I know...is that when I first learned about enneagram...I was going through a pretty terrible/tragic time in my life...and subsequently became convinced I was a 6w7. I mean...I truly related to all things 6...and was behaving/expressing myself in a very 6ish type fashion. Today - not so much. It is clear to me now that I am a 7w6. I mean...I honestly believe I naturally possess a strong 6-wing...even when at my best. But I feel like it 'took-me-over' when under extreme stress. Still, I might be misunderstanding this whole thing. I don't know.
I can totally relate to this except substitute 7w6 for 5w6. I was a highly neurotic, anxious mess asking for a lot of validation and help for the last few years or so up until about just a few months ago (May or so). It got REALLY bad from January to May though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can relate to the same with the 8 wing. under stress, I turn into a scary 8w7 and can do a lot of damage if I'm not careful

Starry

I can totally relate to this except substitute 7w6 for 5w6. I was a highly neurotic, anxious mess asking for a lot of validation and help for the last few years or so up until about just a few months ago (May or so). It got REALLY bad from January to May though.

I can relate to the same with the 8 wing. under stress, I turn into a scary 8w7 and can do a lot of damage if I'm not careful

It is totally unrealistic...but it still bums me out when I hear about other people going through periods of extreme stress (that's just how I roll). Still...I'm glad I'm not the only person who has experienced this whole 'wing taking over' phenomenon when life is not what it 'should be'.

G

Glycerine

It is totally unrealistic...but it still bums me out when I hear about other people going through periods of extreme stress (that's just how I roll). Still...I'm glad I'm not the only person who has experienced this whole 'wing taking over' phenomenon when life is not what it 'should be'.

For me it was also mixed w/ stress point (7). The negatives of both 6 and 7 combined can easily lead to a mental breakdown. Hysteria, high energy plus paranoia. lol How about you? Did you get to the stress point (5) with the negatives of 6 added in?

Starry

For me it was also mixed w/ stress point (7). The negatives of both 6 and 7 combined can easily lead to a mental breakdown. Hysteria, high energy plus paranoia. lol How about you? Did you get to the stress point (5) with the negatives of 6 added in?

OMG...you know exactly what I am talking about!!! (which I wish you didn't but I guess - such is life).
When all these terrible life events happened for me back-to-back-to-back...and my life kinda came crashing down around me...I basically took myself out of the game and became a totally freaked-out, emotional hermit (unhealthy 5 & 6). And the worst of it for me was that I truly lost faith in everything. <--- that is not an exaggeration. And I still haven't gained that back. Which is weird because I used to have faith is everything...(in a distinctly unhealthy, unrealistic e7 kind of way). I'm trying to learn how to live life now as I feel so different from what I was before. I know that 'healthy e5' is the answer. Just don't know how to get there. Thank you for asking this question as it helps me put things together in my mind. I hope you are starting to do better as well. :hug:

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=10082]StarryKnights[/MENTION]: oops, I made a mistake... the stress point of 7 is 1 but it all works. I am glad you are doing better. I am doing pretty good! I am glad to be getting out of the 6 vortex.

http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype7

Under Stress (Seven Goes to Average One)
Sevens value their spontaneity and so tend to follow their impulses, for better or for worse. As a result, they can become scattered in their attention and energy, leaping from one promising idea to the next, from one activity to another. While this can be exciting, it often leaves Sevens frustrated with themselves because they feel that they are not accomplishing as much as they would like to. At such times, they begin to behave like average Ones—pulling in the reins on themselves and trying to get more organized and self-controlled. But because they are trying to impose order and control on themselves, they begin to feel trapped and restricted. This only makes them more frustrated, impatient, and irritable. They may, for instance, become critical of their own creative ideas before they have really had a chance to develop them. Similarly, they cannot avoid feeling disappointment with people and many aspects of their environment. Nothing seems to meet their expectations, and they can become harsh and perfectionistically critical with themselves and with others.

Security (Seven Goes to Average Five)
Sevens often feel it is their duty to entertain others and to keep their environment positive and exciting. Over time, this can be exhausting—even for Sevens. When they are tired of being "on" for everyone, they may choose to withdraw even from their intimates and seek seclusion and noninterference. This can come as a shock to others. ("You've been out having fun with everyone else, so why are you so quiet and unavailable with me?") They no longer want to put out energy for anyone else, and can become almost obsessively focused and preoccupied. They can also be surprisingly withdrawn and isolated, like Fives. Their body language and aloof responses let others know that they want space and privacy. At such times, Sevens make no effort to entertain or energize others. Like Fives, they retreat from contact and attempt to restore their energy.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a 4w5, quite heavy 5 wing... sometimes I can appear like a 5w4.

Starry

[MENTION=10082]StarryKnights[/MENTION]: oops, I made a mistake... the stress point of 7 is 1 but it all works. I am glad you are doing better. I am doing pretty good! I am glad to be getting out of the 6 vortex.

Ah yah LOL.

Hey, thanks for the descriptions from your post. With regards to the low-side of 1...I kinda think I've always been like that. Not pushing myself towards perfectionism...as I apparently have no idea what 'perfectionism' is. But I beat-myself-up all the time and have unrealistic expectations of myself and others (which I am really trying to move beyond). At least that is how 1 manifests in me. After talking to some friends here from the site...I am really starting to buy-in to this whole notion that you can go to either the low-sides or high-sides of both your stress and security points. And so yes...that is where I am at today. I am either a low or average 5 - don't really know which one - probably both. But the wing thing... that definitely was super strong. Stronger really then my actual type. I'm going to try and seek out more literature to see if I can find anything on this.

PS...digging the new avatar. What molecular structure is that? I'm so glad to hear you are less 6ish today!

G

Glycerine

Ah yah LOL.

Hey, thanks for the descriptions from your post. With regards to the low-side of 1...I kinda think I've always been like that. Not pushing myself towards perfectionism...as I apparently have no idea what 'perfectionism' is. But I beat-myself-up all the time and have unrealistic expectations of myself and others (which I am really trying to move beyond). At least that is how 1 manifests in me. After talking to some friends here from the site...I am really starting to buy-in to this whole notion that you can go to either the low-sides or high-sides of both your stress and security points. And so yes...that is where I am at today. I am either a low or average 5 - don't really know which one - probably both. But the wing thing... that definitely was super strong. Stronger really then my actual type. I'm going to try and seek out more literature to see if I can find anything on this.

PS...digging the new avatar. What molecular structure is that? I'm so glad to hear you are less 6ish today!
Nitroglycerine! Thanks for all your insight. I can definitely relate to it. My extroversion definitely exaggerates my stress and growth points. Fun times. haha. I can be overbearing and over assert myself (8) at low to average levels and have tons of frenetic energy (I won't shut up for hours...not kidding) if I am tired or stressed. It's awesome that you are figuring things out.

wolfy

awsm
My wing is so strong it'd slap you around the back of the head.
My wing is so strong it could fly a 747... in circles.

B

brainheart

When I'm healthy to average, my four and five seem pretty much equal. As I decline in health, I am nothing but four.

Five is where I go to solve problems. Just found out a friend has a fatal disease; I feel very calm, but I instantly go into frenetic research. Knowledge, and the knowledge that I know I can deal with the hard things in life, both emotionally and mentally, gives me power.

So I vote four with a strong five wing.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
I should clarify: I don't relate much to descriptions of type 7, and it tends to be one of my lowest scores. But 6w7 descriptions, yeah, some of them I relate to quite a lot.

I've never thought I was either a 5 or a 7, though. I briefly thought I might be 4 and dismissed that, and then took some time to decide between 6 and 9.

This is quite a lot like me. I find all 6w5 and 6w7 descriptions somewhat off the mark however, but this is only in line with how I feel about 6 descriptions overall (apart from the one in 'Character and Neurosis' by Naranjo). I just know it's my type as I understand the underlying psychology and know in that essential regard it is totally me. The only reason I'd call myself 6w5 before 6w7 is because 7 is one of the types least like me, whereas I relate to 5 quite a lot but not enough to have seriously considered it as my type.