• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Story genres by Enneagram type

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
I think it's a bit silly. I can see where they get the idea, but it seems more like it should be a joke than something to take seriously. I tend to read all sorts of everything, for instance! If anything, my least favorite genre is adventure. It's cool and stuff, but often too little characterization. Never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark though, even though I'm an archaeologist. :(

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not terribly interested in most horror, unless they're mostly psychological. Monsters in the world don't do much for me, violence isn't scary, but the horrors of mind are certainly fascinating.

I relate to both 5 and 6 genres to a degree [I'm essentially, sci-fi/action/both black and fear comedies/psychological thrillers], but more to 5 protagonists. Which makes sense, as I identify as a 5w6.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I don't think the goal of the article was to say what genres each type likes, but what genres "represent" each enneatype.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really into everything that has melodrama, I do love Wuthering Heights, but I also enjoy literature where the character struggles as an individual facing society's expectations of them, or ones that have faced alienation/isolation... and also literature that centers around a theme of retribution for the main character. I also like fantasy stories/traditional fairy tales and folklore as well. More of a center on the individual struggle of the main character, or emphasis on the romanticism/ chivalry aspect. I also like literature that focuses on a social struggle/ historical event, existentialist theme, or something on a scientific/intellectual theme as well. The more old-school romantic of a theme there is, the more I like it.

But yes, I think that a storyline such as Wuthering Heights is VERY 4-ish. Could tack on just about any other story that deals with individualism in a sense. Doris Lessing's literature, Daniel Keyes' 'Flowers for Algernon' is borderline 4/5, Jane Eyre, Dostoyevsky's literature, John Keats' poetry, philosophy of Soren Kierkegaard... tack on just about all of the Romantic writers, there's quite a bit of literature that focuses not only on 4 melodrama, but also the individual and romanticism.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.judithsearle.com/3.html

Do you agree with the article? I found it an interesting read but I'm not too familiar with many of the movies she goes into depth with so I can't say much about it.

I have nothing against this sort of thing, and have posted similar things here which relate enneatypes to books, movies, not to genres exactly.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://www.judithsearle.com/3.html

Do you agree with the article? I found it an interesting read but I'm not too familiar with many of the movies she goes into depth with so I can't say much about it.

Ugh, I hate everything they say 6s like - thrillers, spy dramas and "blue collar man" stories. I don't know what a "fear comedy" is so I'll reserve judgement on that one. But way, way off base for me, and I read an insane amount of books for fun.

So full of crap is my verdict.

I don't think the goal of the article was to say what genres each type likes, but what genres "represent" each enneatype.
The article says
We can gain insights into our own type through observing the kinds of stories we are drawn to
so I think the author disagrees with you there.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I lean more towards the 5s, I love a good horror story.

B

brainheart

Screw genres, I just like anything unique and innovative and genre-bending.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, I hate everything they say 6s like - thrillers, spy dramas and "blue collar man" stories. I don't know what a "fear comedy" is so I'll reserve judgement on that one. But way, way off base for me, and I read an insane amount of books for fun.

Then what is your favorite genre?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then what is your favorite genre?

Mainly fantasy (9 according to them) and some sci fi (5 according to them). I like some non-"genre" fiction that concerns human psychology and similar (eg. loved flowers for algernon, and a fine balance). When I was younger I liked adventure stories (7), horror (5) and animal stories (?).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mainly fantasy (9 according to them) and some sci fi (5 according to them). I like some non-"genre" fiction that concerns human psychology and similar (eg. loved flowers for algernon, and a fine balance). When I was younger I liked adventure stories (7), horror (5) and animal stories (?).

You're a 9w5.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The article says
so I think the author disagrees with you there.

She doesn't actually say you can type yourself according to which genre you like the best.

S

Sniffles

Hmmmmn.....this is interesting, I can certainly relate to much of Four themes, but I also have knack for the "moral hero" drama of One(probably because of my integration point) as well as with "The war story" of Eight. :shrug:

G

Glycerine

I relate mostly to 8 and 2.... none of 5 or 6 but I watch a lot of murder documentaries (psychopathy at a distance interests me), does that count? :D My fave genres are adventure, rom coms, indie/quirky. raunchy humor. Nothing too serious/emotion evoking.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on those descriptions, what I like to read the most comes closest to 1, 6, or 9 and less towards 2, 4 or 8. 5 is somewhere in the middle. I like sci-fi and some black comedy but not so much horror.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree about lawyer and cop stories :) But the problem with moral stories, for me, is that sometimes they turn into melodramas as described in the Type 4 section of the article -- and I just hate those. I hate it when the villains are nonsensically evil and you're supposed to think of the main characters as victims. (Which is why I don't do well with "Romantic Literature"...)

I also agree with science fiction and type 5. My dad is a 5 and I would say that "hard" sci-fi is his favorite genre. When he was my age (in college), he would read books like "Ringworld" until they wore out. But horror? Not so much. He's not a fan.

The type 8 choices also seem to be spot-on. :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in order, I related to 9, 7, 3 and 8 the most