• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Story genres by Enneagram type

B

brainheart

Sigh, if I must do this genre thing, I'll go with:

Kubrick 5 (probably best director ever), doomed love death artist 4 (fr new wave!), woody allen hitchcock 6, 8 cause the best of those three genres are amazing, magical realism 9, raiders 7.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's a bit silly. I can see where they get the idea, but it seems more like it should be a joke than something to take seriously. I tend to read all sorts of everything, for instance! If anything, my least favorite genre is adventure. It's cool and stuff, but often too little characterization. Never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark though, even though I'm an archaeologist. :(

Well, I think it works fine if we just see it as a generalization. People are more complex than this, so just because someone watches an Alfred Hitchcock film doesn't make them a Six. However, I think if we examine which TYPES of movies tend to resonate with someone of a particular type, a majority within a type will find something to resonate with within the listed genres.

It also matters on how squarely within the type the person is. My FIL, for example, was a very stereotypical 6 and/or ISTJ, and the movies here describe his tastes exactly. yes, he did watch some other things from time to time, but espionage, thrillers, and Te-style fiction were his staple. However, I can think of ISTJs within my generation or younger who have probably more interest in the various Star Trek, comic-book, and off-beat films. (And my FIL would actually watch the TV scifi shows.)

Similarly, my ISFJ mom and my ISFJ MIL (both 2's) only really ever were interested in romantic comedies and almost nothing else; I see female 2's gravitate to romantic comedies, but they tend to be more diverse nowadays.

(And I will say as a 5w4 who has some 9 behaviors, pretty much she nailed all my favorite genres -- Speculative/horror, tragic/bittersweet drama, and fantasy/whimsy. I do like other movie styles from all across the given range, depending on the craftsmanship; but those are my favorites.)

I can see the thought behind each of the type/genre pairings she made in this article, and in general, I think she's right -- the genre in question will fit pretty squarely within a conventional member of the type listed. But I think especially as we move away from center, we'll see more deviation from type; and some people will be very diverse in their story tastes.

I'm not sure of the practical value of her comments, they are not necessarily predictive or say something meaningful about a particular person.

lane777

nevermore
Most of my favorite movies fall under 5, 7, 4 and 9. Then 8, 6, 2, 1, 3. I'm a 4w5 (used to think I was an E9) so if I were to type myself by the movies I watch, I'd have a good chance of coming up with a fitting Enneagram.

That was fun :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The genre I prefer matched for my type 5. I've liked some fantasy, but sci-fi has always rung closer to the truth for me. Horror doesn't do much for me, however.

B

brainheart

What enneatype is the slapstick gross out comedy genre a la dumb and dumber and the hangover?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
6 > 4 > 5 > 9 > 1 > 7 > 2 > 8 > 3

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The genre matchups look pretty accurate to me, as far as the general sense of what each type is about. My movie tastes definitely fall into the 7 category: adventure, sci-fi adventure, and travel. Those movie rules are also my rules.... especially about no serious injury or death to or by the protagonist. Even in movies, cannot deal with that whole "pain" thing....

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1=9>7>8>4>5>6>2>3

Something like that.

Of the books I liked the most, the genres were usually Fantasy/fiction, Sci-fi, and Action-Adventure.

Ender's Game
Bean Trees
Harry Potter
Dante's Inferno
Rain of Gold (though I question the "non-fiction" the authors says it is.)

Those type of stories. But really, it doesn't just extend to books, it extends to most art-forms.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
scifi/horror can clearly apply to fives but it was disappointing not to be flattered with whodunit/film noir.

Silveresque

I like 9, 1, 7, and 5 best. Fantasy and adventure stories but also emotionally intense and morally inspiring ones.