• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Tritype 'Gentle Spirit' - 479/497/974/947/749/794 - GET IN HERE!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's your experience with conflict and anger?

My instinctive reaction is to think 8 over 9. Your relationship with anger would be telling.

As for the 4 v 2 with 79.

279 is triple positive while 479 has a need/desire to portray themselves as positive to those around them however there is inner conflict with that. I struggled to type my heart fix for a long time, always ignored 4 because of the view it's depressive which conflicted with my image of being un-apologetically up-beat. These snippits while short and general are what clicked for me.

All of the 79 combinations are somewhat positive. The 279 is focused on being pleasant. The 379 the most positive. The 479 Is positive outwardly but doesn't always feel it.

The 479 report that they fear that if they show negative emotions they might be rejected.

I have a need to only express positive moods, and my point of shame is all things 4 related, I fear showing my dark, depressive, "emo" side because I get positive feedback when showing the pleasant, positive and fun 9&7 combo and expect the other would bring people down which would result in my being pushed away. I see 4 as the internal conflict of a 479 tritype, the enjoyment of indulging in a melancholy state for the intensity of emotions it can bring whilst simultaneously always having a desire to be optimistic and happy. I don't see that same dynamic happening for a 2 or 3 fix.

this is so interesting to me tho that you both would guess 8 over 9.

hmm...

i don't feel like i have any issues with anger. i am not an angry person but i don't care when others are angry. i don't seek out or avoid conflict.
i will say that i can express anger much easier than i can vulnerability. if something makes me sad...my reaction is to be pissed off about it. not sad...not until later when i realize what's going on.

figured that was a 7ish thing.

this is such a trip.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
EEP! :peepwall:

:)laugh:)

:laugh: I think so! :)

I would make a stab at you being 7w6 - 4w3 - 8w?

That's funny if that's what I am instead if 729 like I've thought for what seems like a long time.

But really it might make sense... Tho my type 4 bf says he doesn't see 4 at all so I'm not sure if there's something to that or not. Idk ahhh!!

A

Anew Leaf

That's funny if that's what I am instead if 729 like I've thought for what seems like a long time.

But really it might make sense... Tho my type 4 bf says he doesn't see 4 at all so I'm not sure if there's something to that or not. Idk ahhh!!

What about 7-2-8? (WHO DO WE APPRECIATE?!)

Nymphie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
479s typically tone down their hyper-emotionality and suffering when around others. They don't want to be difficult, and they don't want to be drama queens. They find such a self-image embarrassing, and they are certain the future holds great promise and potential, so aren't they a little pathetic for focusing on their tragedy? They may self-dramatize and bring attention to themselves at times, but it's typically followed by a down-playing of the tragedy and a reframing of the situation- "All in all, it was probably worth it, and not really a big deal, anyway..."

479s view themselves as special, clever, elite, talented, and regrettably, ordinary. Attracted to the new, the known, and the emotionally intense, they can feel a bit of the will-o'-the-wisp, never quite knowing where their fancy will take them- will the day be mundane or exhilarating? Dramatic or comforting?

Intellectually and emotionally curious, yet liking balance, 479s tend not to push things 'too far'. They may play it safe in a lot of ways, getting their stimuli and emotional depth via books, film, music and other artistic media versus through gritty life experience or putting themselves on the line (although they likely swing through levels of mania or hyper-excitability and depression or listlessness). 479s are somewhat risk averse- the four may dive into dangerous waters but the seven wants to keep things pleasurable and light while the nine would really rather take it easy, so the 479 ends up swimming back to shore, reads a good book in a hammock and then falls asleep, all the while wondering when something big will happen in their life, when they will finally reach their full magnitude.

The 479s' tendency to take the easier road can quite likely lead to a regretful place where they find themselves mired with difficult questions: "Why do I fall so easily? When will I get my drive, determination and self-discipline? What will it take for me to stay committed to one thing, no matter how difficult it is? When is my life going to be how I expected it to be?" These questions (and the failings they acknowledge) may lead to depression and a loss of self-esteem, but that doesn't mean thinking about them and recognizing their flaws is going to get them anywhere. The only way 479s will truly have lives which please them is through sucking it up and getting down to business. This doesn't mean a life of drudgery, but rather acknowledging what matters to them and making it manifest- honestly expressing their emotional range vs sugar-coating it; recognizing that potential doesn't equate ability and experience (and then making a point of acquiring that experience and ability); and not getting tired and apathetic when life throws challenges their way.

With accomplishments and self-fulfillment, 479s can't help but recognize that they possess great worth. They are innovative and creative in an inspired and life-affirming way. They see beauty in all things and beings and recognize the necessity of both pleasure and pain. They are wholly aware that they are entirely unique yet simultaneously connected to every living being, and they are joyful to be living their life, with all its messiness, struggles, and simple pleasures.

Core Fours will have a harder edge and go deeper. They will be more emotionally expressive and darker than the 974 or 749.
Core Sevens will be lighter and more energetic. They will be more upbeat, fun, and enthusiastic/excitable than the 974 or 479.
Core Nines will be more gentle and accommodating. They will be more easy-going, relaxed, and have more of a healing presence than the 479 or 749.

This is seriously awesome! So yeah, here's how it goes:

4w5 - YOU NEED TO BE UNIQUE! WITHDRAW, WITHDRAW! *EMOTIONZ* :(
7w6 - STIMULATION! STIMULATION! :smile:
9w1 - Calm down guys. Seriously. Stop yelling. Jeesh.

Notice how I just downplayed the emotions part, even though they're pretty vital? Yup.

pastabomber

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's true. I was in denial about it for awhile but yesterday I was hanging out at the pool, drawing, and these two little girls ended up befriending me. We were drawing together and one of the girls gave me a picture, addressed to ”nice lady”. I rarely talk to adults but kids and I really get along- I think they view me as one of those strange adults who actually views them as an equal, because I do. I started going back to school last year to become an art therapist but stopped primarily because I couldn't deal with the adult human interaction. But yesterday felt very... enriching. It made me want to teach small group art classes or some such thing to little kids.

I actually wrote a 479 description. Here it is if anyone's interested. I'd like other people with the tritype's opinion on it anyway-

479s typically tone down their hyper-emotionality and suffering when around others. They don't want to be difficult, and they don't want to be drama queens. They find such a self-image embarrassing, and they are certain the future holds great promise and potential, so aren't they a little pathetic for focusing on their tragedy? They may self-dramatize and bring attention to themselves at times, but it's typically followed by a down-playing of the tragedy and a reframing of the situation- "All in all, it was probably worth it, and not really a big deal, anyway..."

479s view themselves as special, clever, elite, talented, and regrettably, ordinary. Attracted to the new, the known, and the emotionally intense, they can feel a bit of the will-o'-the-wisp, never quite knowing where their fancy will take them- will the day be mundane or exhilarating? Dramatic or comforting?

Intellectually and emotionally curious, yet liking balance, 479s tend not to push things 'too far'. They may play it safe in a lot of ways, getting their stimuli and emotional depth via books, film, music and other artistic media versus through gritty life experience or putting themselves on the line (although they likely swing through levels of mania or hyper-excitability and depression or listlessness). 479s are somewhat risk averse- the four may dive into dangerous waters but the seven wants to keep things pleasurable and light while the nine would really rather take it easy, so the 479 ends up swimming back to shore, reads a good book in a hammock and then falls asleep, all the while wondering when something big will happen in their life, when they will finally reach their full magnitude.

The 479s' tendency to take the easier road can quite likely lead to a regretful place where they find themselves mired with difficult questions: "Why do I fall so easily? When will I get my drive, determination and self-discipline? What will it take for me to stay committed to one thing, no matter how difficult it is? When is my life going to be how I expected it to be?" These questions (and the failings they acknowledge) may lead to depression and a loss of self-esteem, but that doesn't mean thinking about them and recognizing their flaws is going to get them anywhere. The only way 479s will truly have lives which please them is through sucking it up and getting down to business. This doesn't mean a life of drudgery, but rather acknowledging what matters to them and making it manifest- honestly expressing their emotional range vs sugar-coating it; recognizing that potential doesn't equate ability and experience (and then making a point of acquiring that experience and ability); and not getting tired and apathetic when life throws challenges their way.

With accomplishments and self-fulfillment, 479s can't help but recognize that they possess great worth. They are innovative and creative in an inspired and life-affirming way. They see beauty in all things and beings and recognize the necessity of both pleasure and pain. They are wholly aware that they are entirely unique yet simultaneously connected to every living being, and they are joyful to be living their life, with all its messiness, struggles, and simple pleasures.

Core Fours will have a harder edge and go deeper. They will be more emotionally expressive and darker than the 974 or 749.
Core Sevens will be lighter and more energetic. They will be more upbeat, fun, and enthusiastic/excitable than the 974 or 479.
Core Nines will be more gentle and accommodating. They will be more easy-going, relaxed, and have more of a healing presence than the 479 or 749.

I have to say this trifix seems to fit me A LOT. I'm probably a 4 but it's kinda hard to tell to be honest~

absyrd

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 7w6-4w3-9w8. I only read the first page to this thread. But it was all just very odd. I have no idea if anyone here can accurately describe this tritype.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think this is the best 479 description I've ever read. The thought and behavior patterns described here are ridiculously familiar to me, and I've observed them in others who have this tritype.

I don't feel confident enough to try to write my own analysis of the 479, but this is my own experience and how I think it relates to my trifix (9-7-4). Core 9s and 7s would probably relate to my experience far more than core 4s.
For me, it's often difficult to be a realist. Most of the time, I'm either wearing rose-colored glasses or cracked grey ones -- there's a dynamic of optimism and idealization vs. disappointment and dissatisfaction from having to face a reality that doesn't match my expectations. 4, 7, and 9 are all idealistic types, but there's a huge gap between the 7 and 9 positivity and tendency to mistake the ideal for reality, and the 4 tendency to not only notice the gap between ideal and reality, but also to feel sadness and longing in response to it.
I think the challenge for me is to keep my feet on the ground, being consistently mindful of challenges yet still persistent, instead of trampolining up and down between the clouds of the lofty dream and the dark earthen pit of cynicism. At times the future seems like this rosy thing full of dazzling possibilities about what I can discover or become, and thoughts of potential setbacks and limitations are brushed aside. I may recognize them mentally, but they don't really sink in and I won't be realistic about what I should do to prepare for them. This kind of unrealistically "positive" attitude is just avoidance/a defense-- it's an internal bulwark against awareness that would provoke painful feelings, rather than helpful optimism (real positivity), which involves acknowledging unpleasant realities but, rather than dwelling on them, simply doing what you have to do to deal with them and keeping your eye on the prize. Unrealistic optimism can actually make it difficult to achieve meaningful goals because you're so focused on your ideals themselves (i.e. happy with staying in your cozy bubble of fantasy) that you fail to actually address the nitty-gritty of what needs to be done in order to pursue your goals. Doing so would inevitably lead to that "cozy bubble" popping when you inevitably encounter the struggles, even if only minor ones, that are inevitable when you make significant changes, especially internal changes. Then when you encounter setbacks, you can get very discouraged because you didn't prepare for it, and unlike the super-positive tritypes (279 and 379), who may be more likely to minimize the challenges in their minds and keep plowing forward with confidence, I think in a 479 it's likely for the 4 self-doubt and pessimism to sink in. At least with me, I can actually start to see the future as more bleak and hopeless than it truly is (probably). When challenges (both external and internal/emotional/mental) seem to pop up out of nowhere, they look like these huge unscalable mountains, while the person who has been realistic about potential challenges all along has seen the mountains from a distance away has identified a good climbing route.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm part of the Gentle Spirits..

GENTLY THAT IS.

Amazonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is seriously awesome! So yeah, here's how it goes:

4w5 - YOU NEED TO BE UNIQUE! WITHDRAW, WITHDRAW! *EMOTIONZ* :(
7w6 - STIMULATION! STIMULATION! :smile:
9w1 - Calm down guys. Seriously. Stop yelling. Jeesh.

Notice how I just downplayed the emotions part, even though they're pretty vital? Yup.

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if anyone's still following this thread, but thought I'd choose this spot to introduce myself and see if I am in fact one of you.

To start off, I identify like crazy with [MENTION=20599]Nymphie[/MENTION]'s quick summary above (and [MENTION=22480]brainheart[/MENTION]'s longer description earlier) of what is (I think) my exact tritype...except substitute "Planning! Dreams! Intricate entrepreneurial ideas that I'll start and then get bored with! Also move overseas and then immediately start looking to the next (or previous) thing!" for at least one "STIMULATION!" next to 7w6. Guessing this is because I'm sp/sx instead of sx/sp and am always looking for ways to be able to just stay home (or travel) and not go be stuck in a stupid cubicle somewhere.

I think the main reason I don't fully identify with this tritype is that my heavy 6 and 1 wings make me much more normative and compliant than probably many of you feel compelled to be. I feel pretty inhibited and anxious for a 4 and 9, and especially for a 7. This in turn makes me even doubt my 4-ness because I see so many other people being more creative and authentic than I am (especially ENFPs and INFPs, it seems). But of course, then I envy them like crazy and also sort of hate them a little....so I think I am a 4 after all. And also I really am fairly creative and authentic (more of an INFJ insightful with some 7w6 brainstorming powers and a general eye for beauty)...just not as much as I wish I was, you know?

So what do you all think? Am I one of you? Am I even a 4? If not I'm probably a 9, though I really think I'm WAY too self-conscious and sensitive and envious and longing for that. Ultimately I'm an absent-minded professor/photographer who wants to think and feel deep thoughts and feelings and be seen as super profound and beautiful for having them (4w5) while staying free to dream and plan and move and start stuff (7w6) all while cuddling with my hubbie and puppy and kids in a tidy little house and having everyone love each other and no one ever be mad (9w1). And really is that too much to ask of life? :) Thing is, I know it is, and as a 4 that's what makes me so deeply sad sometimes I don't know how I'll bear it.

Sorry, let's attempt to end on an up note. I'm really happy to finally be joining the conversation here. Thanks for reading, guys!

Last edited:

Amazonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fives- deep sea divers of thought
Argumentative, nit picky when it comes to their ideas
Difficulty socializing, always seem stiff and somewhat formal, odd

Sevens- deep for a bit then onto something else
Teasing, playful argumentative, go for the general over the specific
Some may be socially awkward initially, but then they get into the groove and are talkative, likeable.

My feeling, anyway.

Yep, I've got both of these, plus a 6 wing in the back saying, "Are you crazy with all this unnecessary deep-sea diving and scanning? You've got to figure out something for certain here if you're going to make it in this world, so just choose a system of thought and be done. And also you need to shut your brain off and get sleep or you're going to be exhausted tomorrow because you're a 4w5 and also a 9w1 with limited energy, but people are expecting things of you and you can't make them angry!" And then I curl up in a ball and feel sorry for myself (all while continuing to think about all the fun and deep things) because no one else has such terrible troubles as me.

UPDATE: Dammit, I might be a core 6w7. I have wondered it before, but I feel way too idealistic and absent-minded to be one. But I'm pretty dang anxious and fearful of physical danger and especially other people's anger. Any 4s want to weigh in? Do I seem like a 649 with a heavy 7 wing instead? If so, you might not be my people, 479s, but I still think you're my husband's. It's probably his fault I identify so well with all of you, after 8 years of marriage to him. :) Maybe you'll let me continue to hang here and get to know you all better, and pretend I'm one of you because I sort of want to be?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
UPDATE: Dammit, am I really a 6w7? I feel way too introverted and idealistic and absent-minded to be one. But I'm pretty dang anxious and fearful of physical danger and other people's anger. Any 4s want to weigh in?

If you are really INFJ then this automatically pushes you towards 4 even if you are not one. However under named circumstances I would suggest exploring 6w5 and the fact that you may have a 6 fix and strong Sp instinct.

Amazonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are really INFJ then this automatically pushes you towards 4 even if you are not one. However under named circumstances I would suggest exploring 6w5 and the fact that you may have a 6 fix and strong Sp instinct.

Hey, thanks for your input! I am almost certain I'm INFJ and have explored other options pretty extensively, but will definitely keep considering; I know lots of people mistype that. I have also explored 6w5, but I really feel the pull toward 7 with wanting to escape responsibility and have freedom to make fun plans and travel the world and experience different cultures and start new business ventures with other people and then bail...all of which I have done. My husband and I have moved overseas twice and then moved back home to be near family and friends and do grown-up responsibilities, all at my instigating. So I could really see 6w7 4w5 9w1 making sense out of that.

Attaching the 5 to the 4 fix seems likely; I am very sensitive to criticism of my deeper thoughts and ideas and theories, so I keep those pretty private even from closest family and friends. Yet I have lots of unrealistic 7-ish schemes in me, too, and those I'm thrilled to talk about with anyone who will listen, while probably being a neurotic 6w7 all the while. "Do you still like me even though I have lots of weird, crazy theories and ideas?" Ugh.

UPDATE: OK, I think you got me. It's looking very possible I am actually an ENTP. And the 5-ishness I feel is probably from being an SP-first head-type, and really I'm less private (w5) than I am worried people will laugh at me (6+9+4w3 all put together, likely). Thanks again for your feedback!

Last edited:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
The first time I ever got into Enneagram, I was 4w3-7w6-9w1. :laugh:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I might be this tritype....

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Update:

Had my Enneagram did. Couple of longtime friends didn’t think the tritype jived with how I go about things (disintegration/integration).

I felt iffy too. Wasn’t sure if it was really off or if I was misleading myself? Confusion ensued :spindance:

Knew I was most definitely 4 & 7. It was the 1 gut, niggling in the back of my mind.

This thread was HELPFUL. Humbling, in helping me see why I had been resistant to the idea of 9 (blush) during the appointment.
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] Life changing! Immediately recognized myself in your words. [MENTION=12991]Santosha[/MENTION] Revelatory! The gentle bad ass-dom :) [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] :newwink: Elusive trickery! I too seldom unsheath claws and give fair warning first :) [MENTION=5489]King sns[/MENTION], yours was the BEST resource for helping me differentiate between 1 and 9 on a personal level:

The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 7: Stimulation-Seeker

Previously rejected the 479 tritype because of it being deemed: the ‘sprite/fairy’, ’escapist’ or ‘healing’ variant. These quotes helped bring clarity:

* This is the gentle soul tritype that has a healing presence on others whether or not they intend to so. When it says healer this is what it means as opposed to being vocationally attracted to the healing arts (although this is very common with this tritype).

* The blindspot is missed opportunities to speak their truth and glossing over negative feeling states in favor of something more comfortable or positive.

* The emphasis is on having an image that is deep but not seen as difficult. Suffering is more private. With 9 it (whatever "it" may be) must be transmuted into something lyrical, optimistic, light, beautiful or playful to be tolerable.

* 479 and 379 deemed the "cool guy" tritypes. When 4 is there you get that sort of archetype of the cool artist, laid back, playful, witty, but with a sort of "hidden sorrow". You sense there is more there but that they are keeping you at bay in order to avoid dipping too much into the swamp.

* 479 is more future oriented, focusing on the possibilities.

* Your Achilles heel is that you can be so focused on ideal circumstances that you fail to speak your higher truth and act in accordance with your true feelings. Speak your truth even if it will create conflict with others. Going along to get along or to keep things light and upbeat denies the truth of the moment. Higher love has a voice and true joy is not dependent on a happy image.

Focused on the weaknesses that brought recognition personally - but as anyone of this tritype knows - the positive/healthy aspects are pretty kick ass too :D

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who else is a fellow gentle spirit?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
... Figured out I'm one. Hi.

Honestly, "gentle spirit" reminds me of that "courage" tarot. Gently taming a lion. That's quite badass to me, but I may be reaching. :p