• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dominant cognitive functions and enneagram types that just DONT go togethe

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I know that it has been tried over and over to find some relationship between enneagram and the mbti/jcf, and so far, nothing conclusive has come out of this.

However, I want to take a broader approach and see which DOMINANT cognitive functions just can't match with some enneagram types.

Here's something I can throw real quick:

1: Se, Ne

2: Ti

3: Fi

4: <I can't see a 4 being something else but a Ji-dom tbh>

5: <Any type of extroverted function whatsoever>

6: <No relationship. I can see any JCF type being a 6>

7: Ti
7 + Ti is easy to explain. 7 fears his own head, and will avoid deep pondering about an issue unless he's mandated to do so (and even there, it will only be a very superficial scoop of subjective logic). How can this mesh together with the Introverted Thinking type beats me.

8: Fi

9: Ne
The reason why I can't see a 9 being a Ne dominant is because 9s are the most safety-oriented type out of enneagram. Type 9s, at the root, care about having a comfortable and undisturbed life. Helen Palmer constantly explains that 9s are often prone to fall into a routine in which they neglect their inner demands. They over-adapt to their surroundings, and constantly try to create any upsetting in their environments. "We work collectively", "United we stand, divided we fall", and many other phrases similar to this resonate deeply into the heart of a 9. I am trying to be as concise as I can here (however, not entirely vague), and my point is that 9s will only act out of self-desire in extreme measures, and will always choose a life with a secure routine if given the option.

Now, what is Ne about then? In short, the Extraverted Intuitive type is primarily drawn to the possibilities. An Ne-dominant will NEVER accept an environment with limited resources, and to have a constant routine is life implies some sort of slow-suffocation. Their whole life is about new situations, about new upbringings. A Ne-dom person is constantly bored with familiarity, and will constantly be the initiator of new projects in his/her life.

It is easy to see that both these types will clash because of their lifestyle. 9 desires security and over-adapting, Ne requires possibilities and to be allowed to initiate... together, you have an oxymoron.

What are your thoughts on this (very incomplete) list? Any additions?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with most of these
2: Te, Ti
3: Fi, Ti
4: Te, Si
5: Fe, Se
6: none
7: Si, Ti
8: Fi, Fe,
9: Te

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know that it has been tried over and over to find some relationship between enneagram and the mbti/jcf, and so far, nothing conclusive has come out of this.

However, I want to take a broader approach and see which DOMINANT cognitive functions just can't match with some enneagram types.

Here's something I can throw real quick:

2: Ti

3: Fi

7 + Ti is easy to explain. 7 fears his own head, and will avoid deep pondering about an issue unless he's mandated to do so (and even there, it will only be a very superficial scoop of subjective logic). How can this mesh together with the Introverted Thinking type beats me.

8: Fi

9: Ne
The reason why I can't see a 9 being a Ne dominant is because 9s are the most safety-oriented type out of enneagram. Type 9s, at the root, care about having a comfortable and undisturbed life. Helen Palmer constantly explains that 9s are often prone to fall into a routine in which they neglect their inner demands. They over-adapt to their surroundings, and constantly try to create any upsetting in their environments. "We work collectively", "United we stand, divided we fall", and many other phrases similar to this resonate deeply into the heart of a 9. I am trying to be as concise as I can here (however, not entirely vague), and my point is that 9s will only act out of self-desire in extreme measures, and will always choose a life with a secure routine if given the option.

Now, what is Ne about then? In short, the Extraverted Intuitive type is primarily drawn to the possibilities. An Ne-dominant will NEVER accept an environment with limited resources, and to have a constant routine is life implies some sort of slow-suffocation. Their whole life is about new situations, about new upbringings. A Ne-dom person is constantly bored with familiarity, and will constantly be the initiator of new projects in his/her life.

It is easy to see that both these types will clash because of their lifestyle. 9 desires security and over-adapting, Ne requires possibilities and to be allowed to initiate... together, you have an oxymoron.

What are your thoughts on this (very incomplete) list? Any additions?

Type 1: agree

Type 2: I agree with Ti. I'd also add Te

Type 3: agree, although I think any sort of introvert would be pretty rare

Type 4: Te, Se, Ne

Type 5: agree, although I do know a few ENTPs who claim to be 5s

Type 6: agree

Type 7: Si, Ni. I see seven as correlating with EXXP so I would think Pi dominant sevens as most rare. I think INTP 7's are quite uncommon but I think ISTP 7's are not unusual.

Type 8: agree. I know Elfboy also added Fe, but what about Martin Luther King Jr. who is said to be an 8 and an ENFJ? I think some ENFJs can be quite 8-ish. Isn't Juice on this forum a type 8 ENFJ? I think introverted 8's in general are rare, if they're introverted they're usually INTJ

Type 9: Disagree with Ne. I've seen quite a few ENxP type 9s. I'd say Te is most rare. I also think type 6 is the most safety oriented type but agree that type 9 is the most comfort oriented. I'm not sure type 9 necessarily contradicts Ne. Someone could conceivably seek out possibilities as long as they are comfortable possibilities.

Actually your description of type 9 makes me wonder if I'm not actually a type 9. For me having a comfortable and undisturbed life is the most ideal of all. I like my life to be smooth and easy and try to minimize as much strife as possible. I know that life has its ups and downs but I'm all about trying to bring things back to equilibrium.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think they're all possible. perhaps not probable, but possible.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Type 9: Disagree with Ne. I've seen quite a few ENxP type 9s. I'd say Te is most rare. I also think type 6 is the most safety oriented type but agree that type 9 is the most comfort oriented. I'm not sure type 9 necessarily contradicts Ne. Someone could conceivably seek out possibilities as long as they are comfortable possibilities.

Actually your description of type 9 makes me wonder if I'm not actually a type 9. For me having a comfortable and undisturbed life is the most ideal of all. I like my life to be smooth and easy and try to minimize as much strife as possible. I know that life has its ups and downs but I'm all about trying to bring things back to equilibrium.

Definitely. I am more comfort driven than safety driven. I am ok with possibilities. And yes, as long as they are comfortable possibilities. I mean, just don't kick me over half way across the world with no reason and no preparation. I'll be willing to go with taking on crazy escapades like skydiving. :D

After all, type 9 does work with type 6 and type 3. Safety and possibilities just tend to work with or against my comfort. If safety works against my comfort, I'll go with possibilities. If possibilities work against my comfort, I'll stick with safety.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I think you misunderstand 7s. 7s do not fear their own head, they are head types and always thinking and pondering, what they avoid is pain and will distract their thoughts from things that will result in pain. That does not clash with Ti. What clashes with 7s is any leading introverted function, it is a pretty extroverted Enneagram, as in stimulated by external things.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Many ENTPs are 1

Seems right.

Barbara Streisand, Cher,... Many ISFPs are 3s, INFP I don't know.

Sylvia Palth (ISFJ), many ExFxs are 4w3s, there's also many ENFP 4w5s, I know many ENTPs Type 4, ENTJ like The Penguin from Batman, Siousie Sioux, or Anne Sexton maybe, INTx are not rares, there's also a few STJs and ISTPs. Basically, there's 4s of every types.

Many ENTx are 5s, especially ENTP (Dr House, howard Hughes, Stan Lee etc.) But Se-dom and Fe-dom are not 5s.

True.

Type 7 ISTP are verry common. 7s are mental planners. Si-dom can't be 7 them.

Ok.

Bob Marley? Walt Disney? Te-dom can't be 9.