• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

3 or 6?

Enneagram type?

• Total voters

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I've always thought I was a 3w4, but now I wonder if I'm a 6. I'm new to enneagram, so IDK if these are even valid indicators.

Type 6 is supposed to be all about security and safety. I can relate to that - for example, I tend to instinctively be wary in bad neighborhoods when I'm alone at night walking. Also, I'm pretty health-conscious - very body aware, and while I love indulging heartily, I make healthy choices that will keep me looking and operating at my best.

However, I read that 6's have a push/pull type of relationship with authority. I honestly never really gave authority that much thought - to me, it's just something that happens to exist alongside me. Not one to appease or to purposely rebel against - just something that happens to be present.

Type 3 is supposed to be all about success and achievement. Those are probably my top priorities in life - along with always being independent, in-control and truly EXPERIENCING life. I'm very good at working with people diplomatically, due to its necessity for advancing professionally. Looking at it from the other side, I absolutely hate to be embarrassed or to be caught off-guard. If possible, I like to go into things well-prepared and ready for action, and I certainly don't want to present myself unfavorably to people that can influence my progress. I'm the type that won't leave the house until I look absolutely presentable, not even to do laundry or walk to the corner store. Never know who might see me! And I don't like being "exposed" in a less-than-ideal state. I don't understand people who run around looking like crusty bums. yuck. lol

However, I'm not a pure 3, because I always ALWAYS strive to speak the truth - albeit diplomatically. If someone asks if they're fat, I will find a polite way to say "yes" if applicable. Also, I'm a creative sort - I play the guitar in my spare time, write my own music and write really ridiculous satire. Contrary to the "robotic number crunching politician-lawyer 3" stereotype - but I think I just have a decent wing-4.

If I'm not my optimal self, I get really lazy and unproductive. And it makes me depressed. Which makes me lazier. Which makes me even more miserable. And so on, so forth, until I completely waste that whole day. I become like an Eeyore, "why bother". Fortunately, I don't usually get like that. I'm a fighter, so I bounce back in life stronger than ever, even when challenges come my way. I tend to get moody and lazy when I'm physically ill.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
definitely 3 :yes: 3w2 so/sp maybe

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don`t know if you`re a 3, but I don`t think you`re a 6. Everyone has some degree of considering safety, particularly women, particularly in bad locations or at night.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i don't see any reason to doubt 3w4.

in terms of 3 and truth, i've read it explained that it's not so much about truth as in telling the facts straight as it is being straight with oneself and simply being instead of always striving to become something else.

The traditional Virtue of type Three is Truthfulness, but we think that Authenticity is more accurate. When we are abiding in Essence, we speak and act with complete truthfulness and we see that any untruthfulness would cause us to detach from our True Nature. We realize that the most important thing in life is to be ourselves—deeply, completely, and authentically—not to be what others want us to be. We understand that nothing else but being authentic will satisfy us, no matter how many accomplishments we pile up or public acclaim we achieve.

also valuable to note that 3 moves to 6 in times of security and 9 in times of stress.

But psychologically healthy Threes believe in themselves and their value. They are into self-improvement because they like to be the best that they can be. They are often looked up to and others may want to be like them. They are highly competent, adaptable, and usually complete what they set out to do. At their best, Threes are genuine and authentic. They don’t feel that they have to be successful in order to be of worth. They accept themselves as they are and treat others with dignity and respect. They are often great motivators and an inspiration for others.

When the Enneagram types feel secure, they go toward the Enneagram type that has the qualities that they most need to develop. This is called the direction of integration. For Threes, this is Enneagram Point Six. When healthy Threes move toward Type Six, they become more cooperative and less competitive. They become loyal to the group as a whole instead of striving to distinguish themselves from the group and they let go of using the group to get ahead. They find that working with others is deeply satisfying when they let go of the need to be admired and recognized. Threes need to overcome the voice of their superego which tells them that they are of value only if they receive admiration and recognition from others for their accomplishments. They can do this by developing the courage and faith to become vulnerable enough to acknowledge and recognize their feelings and emotions.

If I'm not my optimal self, I get really lazy and unproductive. And it makes me depressed. Which makes me lazier. Which makes me even more miserable. And so on, so forth, until I completely waste that whole day. I become like an Eeyore, "why bother". Fortunately, I don't usually get like that. I'm a fighter, so I bounce back in life stronger than ever, even when challenges come my way. I tend to get moody and lazy when I'm physically ill.

sounds 9 to me :)

Type 6 is supposed to be all about security and safety. I can relate to that - for example, I tend to instinctively be wary in bad neighborhoods when I'm alone at night walking. Also, I'm pretty health-conscious - very body aware, and while I love indulging heartily, I make healthy choices that will keep me looking and operating at my best.

the second part sounds pretty 3 to me - the 3s i know tend to take very good care of their bodies. and i think most people are wary in bad neighborhoods, especially at night. and especially alone! lol.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm also considering 4w3. Is that impossible for an ESTP?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If you're a 6, you're a really loud 6 and kind in your face. Just sayin. ^_^ (6's generally aren't "loud" or "in your face" especially consistently)

The safety security thing could also be reflective of your instinctual stackings, SP first.

All this stuff, MBTI, Enneagram with the tritype/wings/stackings - omg, after a while it seems like you could mix in a couple different variations of stuff and come up with very similar looking/acting/sounding personalities.

But I don't see you being very 6-ish. I'm a 6 wing. 3 would account for the energy.

I also can't get over your initial story about the INTJ ex-boyfriend. Your response to him seemed to be more "Eeuw, you're a gross weirdo and I'm over you so get away from me and don't try to talk to my friends" (which is more 3) rather than "You are disturbing me and really invading my space, get out before I get ninja on your ass or run so far away you will never see me again" (which is more 6)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why up with people saying I'm aggressive? Lol. I fancy myself a gentle sort.

And how would a 4w3 break up with the ex? (who was ENTJ by the way, an INTJ would have taken the hint to gtfo)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why up with people saying I'm aggressive? Lol. I fancy myself a gentle sort.

And how would a 4w3 break up with the ex? (who was ENTJ by the way, an INTJ would have taken the hint to gtfo)

I think a four would dramatize the whole situation, then maybe hide and indulge in the feelings :p

You don't seem like a four. A 3, or maybe even 7? I know people who are the same as you, need to have a shower every second of the day, and make sure they're not looking grungy, ever, I wasn't completely sure what to type them but I'm going with 3 - they are extraverted (full of energy), all about mates and loyalty, bravery and chivalry, keeping busy doing hands on stuff, very genuine and hilarious people. Sounds like 3 no? but it also sounds like 6 in some ways... But I know 6s, and they are completely different, these guys don't worry at all.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Eeuw, you're a gross weirdo and I'm over you so get away from me and don't try to talk to my friends" (which is more 3) rather than "You are disturbing me and really invading my space, get out before I get ninja on your ass or run so far away you will never see me again" (which is more 6)

:laugh: both of these reactions! so accurate!

That avatar looks so gentle.

and that name...

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ
Would you say you relate to the defense mechanism of projection more, or to identification?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Would you say you relate to the defense mechanism of projection more, or to identification?

Preferably neither, but if I had to choose between the two, projection. I try to avoid that though.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jeeeeeesus what is this. All votes (except 1 for 1) for type 3? No possibility of type 4 or 6 at all? hmmm....*strokes chin*

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you identify more with Lady Gaga (6w7) or with Paris Hilton and Madonna (3w4) :laugh:?

[youtube=FqzM0wpWMUo]6w7 and 3w4[/youtube]
[youtube=SWF3GhS_WQA]6w7 and 3w4[/youtube]

rav3n

YUCK! Talk about brutally annoying for both clips! She's going to claim 7-sies due to revulsion with these three "ladies". :sick: :girlfight:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
YUCK! Talk about brutally annoying for both clips! She's going to claim 7-sies due to revulsion with these three "ladies". :sick: :girlfight:

LOL. Show me some 4's...

Yes, all of them annoy me. But I like Lady Gaga's music, and people always compare me to Paris Hilton (blonde hair, tall and skinny blah blahyada blah). We've also got very similar speaking voices, at least when she's not speaking in a "babybird sexpot murmur".

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type 3. Who else would have started their business by the age of 21? :D