• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are counterphobic types?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've seen the term counterphobic used in relation to the enneagram and was wondering, what excatly does it mean? Thanks :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Phobic sixes are more fearful and anxious and compliant to the rules. Counterphobic sixes are more challenging, rebellious, and prone to putting themselves in dangerous situations. Alot of people who engage in potentially dangerous activities like fighter pilots or race car drivers are actually counterphobic sixes. A way of coping with the underlying fear is to push yourself towards the situations that cause fear.

Many sixes will swing back and forth between the two extremes but tend to lean more towards one side or another. SX subtype seems more likely to be counterphobic than the SP or SO 6.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cool, thanks for the answer SuchIrony. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm a counterphobic 6 (or at least have 6w7 as my head fix in my tritype) and I'm sx like suchirony mentioned.

I am mostly counterphobic, but have gone through phobic phases (to the point of having panic attacks and agoraphobia...which is kind of funny considering the reckless behavior I engaged in for years prior to that time...it's like all the fear from years of taking crazy risks and driving way too fast and other things caught up with me at one time).

I am counterphobic usually in my relationship to authority, but interestingly enough at one point I was much more phobic and dependent on the idea of organized big government, and even wanted to be a government worker.

Sixes usually have a strong (and sometimes strange) relationship to authority. Counterphobics are just more likely to rebel against it.

I think that's why a lot of conservative political figures are 6w5...and they're more likely to be phobic.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An sp/so like myself could still be counterphobic, right? I mean I loath social norms, rules, government, and just about every form of authority because I easily see the apparent dangers and stupidity behind them. But I don't think I have the intensity of an sx, or do I? :thinking:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
An sp/so like myself could still be counterphobic, right? I mean I loath social norms, rules, government, and just about every form of authority because I easily see the apparent dangers and stupidity behind them. But I don't think I have the intensity of an sx, or do I? :thinking:

I think your relationship to authority would be *quite focused* if you were a 6 (do you really think you're a 6, or that it's just part of your tritype?) My relationship to authority has almost always been a preoccupation of mine, and it generally is for 6s because of a relationship(s) to authority figure(s) in childhood.

I think you might be interested in politics to some extent, even if you loathe big gov't (like, for example, you might be an extremist far right libertarian...wait, are you that?). I have been interested in politics since before I could even vote.

I'm not saying 6 is all about politics, but 6 is not just anxious, it is highly concerned with groups, systems of people, authority figures, and sometimes political structures.

A vegan who protests constantly at marches and things could just as easily be 6 as the buttoned-down Republican president. They are two sides of the same coin.

I don't think you have to be sx to be counterphobic, though.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Marmie Dearest
I think your relationship to authority would be *quite focused* if you were a 6 (do you really think you're a 6, or that it's just part of your tritype?) My relationship to authority has almost always been a preoccupation of mine, and it generally is for 6s because of a relationship(s) to authority figure(s) in childhood.

Well, I think 6 is just part of my tritype, which is also why it's the last type used.

I think you might be interested in politics to some extent, even if you loathe big gov't (like, for example, you might be an extremist far right libertarian...wait, are you that?). I have been interested in politics since before I could even vote.

I've got some interest in politics, although I'm skeptical of politics in general beacuse politicians and paties tend to care more about thier stupif life philosophies thean the people. And I'm a extrimist left libertarian :D

I'm not saying 6 is all about politics, but 6 is not just anxious, it is highly concerned with groups, systems of people, authority figures, and sometimes political structures.

A vegan who protests constantly at marches and things could just as easily be 6 as the buttoned-down Republican president. They are two sides of the same coin.

I don't think you have to be sx to be counterphobic, though.

Actually, maybe I'm not that much of a six at all, it is possible that my head section of the triade is really 5, hmmm... need to mull and introspect on this matter :thinking:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, supposedly in the tritype your default way dealing with the world is the first, and the last in your tritype is something you only resort to in certain situations...which is why 8 is last in my tritype, because I hardly ever act 8-ish ( I really do not want to be in charge, I would much rather not, thanks) but I have this state of mind I will go to in situations among groups of people if I feel extreme annoyance or fear where I will suddenly TAKE CHARGE. It's like some latent gift I have that would exhaust me and make me very unhappy if I used it regularly. 8 is not the way I want to live my life, but I'll be the boss under certain conditions if no one else will...or if I feel that the person in charge is immoral or incompetent (which could actually relate more to my 6...).

I've had very difficult time choosing between 6w7 and 4w3, I can score both on enneagram tests, and then Petra threw this thing out there like "hey maybe you're a 3!" but I doubt it because I *never* score as three, in fact on one test with percentages 3 was my *lowest* score, and it just doesn't feel right to me.

It also makes sense that 6s stress point is 3 (manic over-doing) and integration point is 9 (more accepting and trusting the flow) ...and that 6 sx/sp can look like a 3 in some regards, like in terms of gender roles, etc.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Marmie Dearest
Well, supposedly in the tritype your default way dealing with the world is the first, and the last in your tritype is something you only resort to in certain situations...which is why 8 is last in my tritype, because I hardly ever act 8-ish ( I really do not want to be in charge, I would much rather not, thanks) but I have this state of mind I will go to in situations among groups of people if I feel extreme annoyance or fear where I will suddenly TAKE CHARGE. It's like some latent gift I have that would exhaust me and make me very unhappy if I used it regularly. 8 is not the way I want to live my life, but I'll be the boss under certain conditions if no one else will...or if I feel that the person in charge is immoral or incompetent (which could actually relate more to my 6...).

Well in that context, I suppose 6 could work as my last part of my triade, as I do care, at least to a certain extent, betterment of a secure world.

I've had very difficult time choosing between 6w7 and 4w3, I can score both on enneagram tests, and then Petra threw this thing out there like "hey maybe you're a 3!" but I doubt it because I *never* score as three, in fact on one test with percentages 3 was my *lowest* score, and it just doesn't feel right to me.

Yeah I'm sort in the same boat; first I thought Iwas 4w5/5w4, then 9w1, then Aleksei told me I was 4w3 > cp6w5 > 1w2, but I think my 4w3 should bw 4w5, and I have some in there 9 I think.

It also makes sense that 6s stress point is 3 (manic over-doing) and integration point is 9 (more accepting and trusting the flow) ...and that 6 sx/sp can look like a 3 in some regards, like in terms of gender roles, etc.

Right, maybe I should look into the intergration and stress of the other types . . .

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
A tip: the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz is a very good movie example of Sixish phobic and counterphobic strategies. While the Lion wants the Wizard to give him the gift of courage (Sixes can be insecure and overly dependent on authority figures), it soon becomes clear that he can act counterphobic when detecting danger - Sixes can resemble Eights in their protectiveness.

The phobic strategy runs the risk of thinking too much and being paralyzed into inaction and paranoia; the counterphobic one runs the risk of "charging ahead" without thinking due to fear of being subjugated or oppressed by an external threat before vanquishing it.

I kinda hope I was somewhat helpful here... I'm still in the process of figuring out my tritype. :unsure:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Viridian
A tip: the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz is a very good movie example of Sixish phobic and counterphobic strategies. While the Lion wants the Wizard to give him the gift of courage (Sixes can be insecure and overly dependent on authority figures), it soon becomes clear that he can act counterphobic when detecting danger - Sixes can resemble Eights in their protectiveness.

That's a good way of looking at, great example. I mean typically I wouldn't want to face danger (although I imagine doing so a lot), but if I need to I'm more than ready to let my emotions take control and be offensive. Just like a lion, meow! :3

The phobic strategy runs the risk of thinking too much and being paralyzed into inaction and paranoia; the counterphobic one runs the risk of "charging ahead" without thinking due to fear of being subjugated or oppressed by an external threat before vanquishing it.

Kinda reminds me of the colors of blue and red in Magic the Gathering...

I kinda hope I was somewhat helpful here... I'm still in the process of figuring out my tritype.

Relax, you were more then helpful :) (and I'm more than willing to help you with your tri-type ;))

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
If you're still having trouble, keep in mind that all types have counter passions, its just the sixes that stick out the most.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Thunderbringer
If you're still having trouble, keep in mind that all types have counter passions, its just the sixes that stick out the most.

Huh, I did not know that. Where could I possible find a source that describes all the counter types in detail?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it sounds like being a counterphobic 6 would be extremely stressful with that constant pull of fear on one end and courage, daring and rebellion on the other end. I think integrating to the growth is strongly beneficial for all types, but especially 6s

1 to 7: able to finally eat the cake they spend such an inordinate amount of time baking. ie, able to enjoy the fruits of their labor and realize that life isn't 100% work
2 to 4: able to realize their own feelings and work towards more win/win situations as opposed to altruism
3 to 6: able to fit in with their friends instead of competing constantly competing with them and trying to 1 up them
4 to 1: the creative nature of the 4 becomes more organized and productive, allowing the 4 to do more of what they really enjoy (art, self expression etc)
5 to 8: compelled to do something with their ideas and competency
6 to 9: able to relax and find peace
7 to 5: able to thing ahead and plan better, which eventually allows them more recources to be spontaneous and adventurous
8 to 2: able to open and be affectionate and loving. not EVERYONE is the world is out to get you
9 to 3: the realization that happiness is NOT 100% internal and that they need some amount of material success to be happy and healthy

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Huh, I did not know that. Where could I possible find a source that describes all the counter types in detail?

The link to the original site is gone, but here's the info from it:

"People are expressing their counterpassion if they are:
1 …living in their passion;
2 …not conscious of their passion and denying it openly;
3 …behaving in a manner contrary to the attitude which would be induced by their passion;
4 …attaching a positive value to these behaviors. They may confuse counterpassion and integration, especially if they know the Enneagram and assume these behaviors resemble the virtue aspect of their type.

The Counterpassions of Each Type
Some brief examples of the counterpassions of the nine Enneagram types.

One: Renouncement
The passion of Ones is anger. The counterpassion of Ones is a caricature of the virtue of patience; in these moments, Ones want to be tolerant, neutral, and objective. They let others get away with errors. They think they are indulgent, magnanimous and understanding of others. Nevertheless, Ones notice errors, which shows that they are still being judgmental. Anger bubbles up inside them even if they are not aware of it. Ones' counterpassion is close to, if not equivalent to, its principal defense mechanism, reaction-formation, and consequently is one of the most thoroughly discussed counterpassions in classic type descriptions.

Two: Self-effacing
The passion of Twos is pride. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of humility. In these moments, Twos want to keep themselves in the background and say that they are nothing much. For example, they might affirm that their assistance was only a small act of helpfulness among many others. They can also insist that what others bring to them is richer than their contribution, or that the love they give does not come from them, that they are merely a channel for love. Pride is there, of course, and the Twos did nothing but refocus the attention: it is not about being proud of the assistance that they bring, but of their false humility.

Three: Self-restraint
The passion of Threes is deceit. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of truth in which Threes try to appear reserved and discrete. When in counterpassion, Threes do not exhibit their achievements or they down-play them; they center their attention and their interest on the other. Threes may consider themselves shy, or others may perceive them as shy. In reality, this reserved approach regarding success and competence is an unconscious action to lower expectations and thereby avoid failure, or minimize its possible effects.

Four: Self-sufficiency
The passion of Fours is envy. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of contentment. At that time, Fours want to appear self-sufficient. They claim to be satisfied with who they are and what they have. What others have that they lack is hence useless, devoid of interest and they are happy to do without. In French literature, there is a famous fable, by Jean de La Fontaine, that describes the counterpassion of the Four and reveals a transparent haughtiness and the persistence of envy.

The Fox and the Grapes
(Book III, fable 11)
Translated by Norman B. Spector

A certain Gascon Fox, a Norman one others say,
Famished, saw on a trellis, up high to his chagrin,
Grapes, clearly ripe that day,
And all covered with purple skin.
The rogue would have had a meal for the gods,
But, having tried to reach them in vain,
"They're too green," he said, "and just suitable for clods."

Didn't he do better than to complain?

Five: Extravagance
The passion of Fives is avarice. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of unselfishness. Then Fives want to appear generous. They will give an enormous amount of information about their subject of interest, holding mini-conferences about almost any situation. Avarice is there, however, because they manage to give this information to people who do not desire it and, thus, inevitably will not understand it or use it. Sometimes Fives unconsciously give subtly incomplete or veiled answers.

Six: Temerity
The passion of Sixes is fear. The counterpassion is a overcompensation from fear. In these situations, Sixes are harsh; they aggressively face dangers. This is the counterphobic Six so often described in Enneagram literature.

Seven: Austerity
The passion of Sevens is gluttony. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of sobriety or temperance. Sevens may then practice excessive self-control. They want to appear to be serious. They don't allow themselves any joy or rest. They limit their mental capacities, by either underusing them or focalizing them too much. They are proud of this seriousness that gives them a sort of masochistic happiness. The passion of gluttony appears as an excess of control. More is better: the battle cry of Sevens is still present, only now its focus has changed.

Eight: Waryness
The passion of Eights is excess and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of simplicity. In which case, Eights want to appear careful, measured and decent. They are reticent, hold back their anger; and may choose an ascetic way of life. However, even in these circumstances, Eights continue to go to extremes. An excess of simplicity is still excess. In Eights, the passion-counterpassion duality resembles Ichazo's term for the Eight's dichotomy, hedonist-puritan.

Nine: Hyperactivity
The passion of Nines is sloth and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of activity. Nines are then hyperactive, perpetually agitated and overloaded with tasks. Although they often produce quantities of work effectively, idleness is still present: these activities are practical but have the effect that the more Nines do, the more they forget themselves. This counterpassion is one of the first we observed, and we interpreted it at the time that these Nines use work and activities as a means of narcotisation (their principal defense mechanism).
An even more subtle form of Nine's counterpassion is a hyperactive pursuit personal development. Such Nines devour books, workshops, therapists, and gurus. They profess to thirst after self-knowledge; however, they end up spinning their wheels, changing nothing.

Source: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15537

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
That's very interesting info, Thunderbringer! Thanks for sharing! :D

it sounds like being a counterphobic 6 would be extremely stressful with that constant pull of fear on one end and courage, daring and rebellion on the other end. I think integrating to the growth is strongly beneficial for all types, but especially 6s

1 to 7: able to finally eat the cake they spend such an inordinate amount of time baking. ie, able to enjoy the fruits of their labor and realize that life isn't 100% work
2 to 4: able to realize their own feelings and work towards more win/win situations as opposed to altruism
3 to 6: able to fit in with their friends instead of competing constantly competing with them and trying to 1 up them
4 to 1: the creative nature of the 4 becomes more organized and productive, allowing the 4 to do more of what they really enjoy (art, self expression etc)
5 to 8: compelled to do something with their ideas and competency
6 to 9: able to relax and find peace
7 to 5: able to thing ahead and plan better, which eventually allows them more recources to be spontaneous and adventurous
8 to 2: able to open and be affectionate and loving. not EVERYONE is the world is out to get you
9 to 3: the realization that happiness is NOT 100% internal and that they need some amount of material success to be happy and healthy

That's also very interesting, Elfboy! I saw some of these a little differently, though:

2->4 - They stop "butting in" every time someone doesn't seem happy and lets them introspect at leisure, being more moderate and less controlling with their assistance
4->1 - Their passion becomes more focused on external things; they "get out of their heads" and express convictions and values, becoming outspoken advocates (their love of "fringe" society members becomes active defense of their rights, for example)
8->2 - Becomes less of a lone wolf, attitude toward others becomes equally passionate yet non-adversarial; come to find weakness less loathsome and more endearing
9->3 - Go less with the flow, work on being more ambitious, turns their inner peace into active passion; become more attuned to their environment, ceasing to find the world so chaotic and undesirable

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many sixes will swing back and forth between the two extremes but tend to lean more towards one side or another. SX subtype seems more likely to be counterphobic than the SP or SO 6.

That's an interesting idea. Not a Six; but my experience is that I can be very phobic, yet often make conscious choices (not subconscious ones) under the direction of my intellectual awareness to act in counterphobic ways because I know that acting in a phobic way will derail my personal growth and success.

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread, the information's been really interesting.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Thunderbringer

3 …behaving in a manner contrary to the attitude which would be induced by their passion;
4 …attaching a positive value to these behaviors. They may confuse counterpassion and integration, especially if they know the Enneagram and assume these behaviors resemble the virtue aspect of their type.

The passion of Ones is anger. The counterpassion of Ones is a caricature of the virtue of patience; in these moments, Ones want to be tolerant, neutral, and objective. They let others get away with errors. They think they are indulgent, magnanimous and understanding of others. Nevertheless, Ones notice errors, which shows that they are still being judgmental. Anger bubbles up inside them even if they are not aware of it. Ones' counterpassion is close to, if not equivalent to, its principal defense mechanism, reaction-formation, and consequently is one of the most thoroughly discussed counterpassions in classic type descriptions.

The passion of Twos is pride. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of humility. In these moments, Twos want to keep themselves in the background and say that they are nothing much. For example, they might affirm that their assistance was only a small act of helpfulness among many others. They can also insist that what others bring to them is richer than their contribution, or that the love they give does not come from them, that they are merely a channel for love. Pride is there, of course, and the Twos did nothing but refocus the attention: it is not about being proud of the assistance that they bring, but of their false humility.

The passion of Threes is deceit. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of truth in which Threes try to appear reserved and discrete. When in counterpassion, Threes do not exhibit their achievements or they down-play them; they center their attention and their interest on the other. Threes may consider themselves shy, or others may perceive them as shy. In reality, this reserved approach regarding success and competence is an unconscious action to lower expectations and thereby avoid failure, or minimize its possible effects.

The passion of Fours is envy. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of contentment. At that time, Fours want to appear self-sufficient. They claim to be satisfied with who they are and what they have. What others have that they lack is hence useless, devoid of interest and they are happy to do without. In French literature, there is a famous fable, by Jean de La Fontaine, that describes the counterpassion of the Four and reveals a transparent haughtiness and the persistence of envy.

The Fox and the Grapes
(Book III, fable 11)

The passion of Fives is avarice. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of unselfishness. Then Fives want to appear generous. They will give an enormous amount of information about their subject of interest, holding mini-conferences about almost any situation. Avarice is there, however, because they manage to give this information to people who do not desire it and, thus, inevitably will not understand it or use it. Sometimes Fives unconsciously give subtly incomplete or veiled answers.

The passion of Sixes is fear. The counterpassion is a overcompensation from fear. In these situations, Sixes are harsh; they aggressively face dangers. This is the counterphobic Six so often described in Enneagram literature.

The passion of Sevens is gluttony. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of sobriety or temperance. Sevens may then practice excessive self-control. They want to appear to be serious. They don't allow themselves any joy or rest. They limit their mental capacities, by either underusing them or focalizing them too much. They are proud of this seriousness that gives them a sort of masochistic happiness. The passion of gluttony appears as an excess of control. More is better: the battle cry of Sevens is still present, only now its focus has changed.

The passion of Eights is excess and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of simplicity. In which case, Eights want to appear careful, measured and decent. They are reticent, hold back their anger; and may choose an ascetic way of life. However, even in these circumstances, Eights continue to go to extremes. An excess of simplicity is still excess. In Eights, the passion-counterpassion duality resembles Ichazo's term for the Eight's dichotomy, hedonist-puritan.

The passion of Nines is sloth and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of activity. Nines are then hyperactive, perpetually agitated and overloaded with tasks. Although they often produce quantities of work effectively, idleness is still present: these activities are practical but have the effect that the more Nines do, the more they forget themselves. This counterpassion is one of the first we observed, and we interpreted it at the time that these Nines use work and activities as a means of narcotisation (their principal defense mechanism).
An even more subtle form of Nine's counterpassion is a hyperactive pursuit personal development. Such Nines devour books, workshops, therapists, and gurus. They profess to thirst after self-knowledge; however, they end up spinning their wheels, changing nothing.

Thank you for posting this :yes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The Fox and the Grapes
(Book III, fable 11)

Source: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15537

this is really good. why is the enneagram so good at pointing out the fucked up, obnoxious stuff you don't even realize you're doing?