• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't determine my Enneagram type.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I've tried just about everything, but I've never gotten a result that I felt confident in.

The only thing I feel positive about, though, is that I don't relate very much to 3. 7, or 8. That still leaves six types that I sort of identify with, though.

Reading more about Enneagram just left me feeling more confused. The more I read, the more I began to see ways that I could be or relate to various types, except for the three above that I truly don't "get."

I actually have taken the official Enneagram test on two occasions.

First time:

Type 1, The Reformer: 23
Type 2, The Helper: 17
Type 3, The Achiever: 17
Type 4, The Individualist: 24
Type 5, The Investigator: 16
Type 6, The Loyalist: 20
Type 7, The Enthusiast: 4
Type 8, The Challenger: 8
Type 9, The Peacemaker: 15

Second time:

Type 1, The Reformer: 25
Type 2, The Helper: 13
Type 3, The Achiever: 17
Type 4, The Individualist: 25
Type 5, The Investigator: 18
Type 6, The Loyalist: 17
Type 7, The Enthusiast: 7
Type 8, The Challenger: 9
Type 9, The Peacemaker: 12

Both of those results are from 2007, though... I don't know that I would test the same way now.

Now, of course, my initial impression is that I should be a 4w5, because that's the most common type for INFJs.

The problem is that I don't identify that much with 4... I mean, I can relate it to it in terms of worrying about my identity, but there are external reasons why that might be an issue for me. I've never cared about having a unique identity, or obsessing over my own emotions, for instance. In some ways, I'm actually more like a 3 (because I care about image) than a 4, but I'm not driven to achieve anything.

The types that I feel the strongest identity with, are 5, 9, 2, and 1. 4 and 6 are there to a lesser degree, because I think about identity issues and security quite often.

Now, as for my stacking... I have a much better grasp of that. The thing is, it would depend on which type I was. If I'm a 5, for instance, I'm probably SO/SP. If I'm a 2, I'm probably SP/SO. If I'm a 9, I don't know which one I am.

So... what do you think? Is there any information I could provide that would help you determine my type?

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
hmmm, when deciding what mine was after taking many tests, I read the information and levels on them on this site, and a few others, but this is the only one I remember,
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp
Then looked at the loops on here as well
http://www.9types.com/epd/1.php

and found that between the descriptions of a 9's levels, and healthy/unhealthy loops, then on top of that, the information about 9's direction of disintegration being type 6, and their direction of integration being type 3, and reading in more detail about that, it became quite obvious that I am definitely a type 9...

I really think that taking such things into account when trying to figure out what enneagram type you are, can be really helpful, actually, I can thank Luna for originally suggesting that to me when I was stuck trying to decide between different types.

B

brainheart

I think you should look more into 1w2. One is also a common type for INFJs. Twos care about image, as well- all the feeling types do. Twos want to look helpful and lovable- the ultimate nice person. Threes want to look successful and composed. Fours want to look different, unique.

Here's something on the similarities and differences between Fours and Ones:

same:
- idealistic
- strong consciences and high standards for themselves
- hardworking and persevering
- refined and dignified
- self- righteous

different:
ones control their emotions.
fours tend to be emotional and let their sadness show.

ones see strong feelings as threatening or improper.
fours value deep or strong feelings.

ones usually follow and enforce society's rules.
fours usually follow their own rules.

ones tend to be realistic, practical, and down-to-earth.
fours tend to be imaginative, creative and fanciful.

Ever seen the movie Sense and Sensibility? Emma Thompson's character is a one and Kate Winslet's is a four. I think this a perfect example of the "don't want to do anything improper or show too much feeling" vs "I have to let my feelings out and who cares what others think!" Also, that's why Winslet benefits by her ensuing restraint and maturity and Thompson benefits from loosening up a bit.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think you should look more into 1w2. One is also a common type for INFJs. Twos care about image, as well- all the feeling types do. Twos want to look helpful and lovable- the ultimate nice person. Threes want to look successful and composed. Fours want to look different, unique.

That's true, I do want to look helpful and lovable. Although I'm often too focused on perfection to do so.
Here's something on the similarities and differences between Fours and Ones:

same:
- idealistic
- strong consciences and high standards for themselves
- hardworking and persevering
- refined and dignified
- self- righteous

different:
ones control their emotions.
fours tend to be emotional and let their sadness show.

ones see strong feelings as threatening or improper.
fours value deep or strong feelings.

ones usually follow and enforce society's rules.
fours usually follow their own rules.

ones tend to be realistic, practical, and down-to-earth.
fours tend to be imaginative, creative and fanciful.

Ever seen the movie Sense and Sensibility? Emma Thompson's character is a one and Kate Winslet's is a four. I think this a perfect example of the "don't want to do anything improper or show too much feeling" vs "I have to let my feelings out and who cares what others think!" Also, that's why Winslet benefits by her ensuing restraint and maturity and Thompson benefits from loosening up a bit.

Aha! Well, when you put it that way, I tend to be more of a 1, although I sometimes admire 4s for their lack of restraint, while also being repulsed by it. I act more like a 4 under stress, also. The thing is, I've spent so much of my life in a stressed out/unhealthy state that it's hard for me to tell what part is me, and what part is my stress.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sometimes I wonder, between 1s and 4s, if one or the other has a predominance for using the word "although" over "though".

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It is 4, 5 or 6. That is all I have.

If those are the three points I seem to resemble most, that would make 5 the most likely, because it has both 4 and 6 as wings.

That's an interesting theory, though. It doesn't look like there's any clear consensus on what point I appear to be.

Maybe I need to get more in-depth books on the subject... I've been relying on Internet sources thus far. It might even be best to read the original texts, whoever wrote them. Reading Jung and Isabel Myers really helped me understand and figure out my MBTI type, for instance.

wolfy

awsm
5 makes the most sense I guess. With 4 and 6 explaining the t and f feel.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
5 makes the most sense I guess. With 4 and 6 explaining the t and f feel.

The only thing about 5, though, is that it's kind of hard to justify a 5 typing as INFJ. Most 5s, even if they're 5w4, type as IxTx. I'm not sure how I could reconcile being an F with being a 5.

Maybe a SO/SP stacking would be enough? Hmm... Maybe I should just go back to assuming I'm a 4w5, because that's what most INFJs are.

B

brainheart

Sometimes I wonder, between 1s and 4s, if one or the other has a predominance for using the word "although" over "though".

har har. Although I don't know the answer, I'm pretty sure you do, though, being a five and all...

It is 4, 5 or 6. That is all I have.

How come? Seems to me on this site types 1 and 2 are infrequently considered. The most common types for INFJs are supposed to be 1 and 4. For ENFP, 2, 4, and 7. And yet I rarely see anyone considering these possibilities.

One can look very five-ish. Difference is ones tend to be more active in their external environment while fives tend to be more withdrawn and theoretical. Ones want to live life the right way, improve themselves and others, and avoid anger. Fives need to know everything, want to be self-sufficient and left alone, and avoid looking foolish.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One can look very five-ish. Difference is ones tend to be more active in their external environment while fives tend to be more withdrawn and theoretical. Ones want to live life the right way, improve themselves and others, and avoid anger. Fives need to know everything, want to be self-sufficient and left alone, and avoid looking foolish.

Actually, between those two descriptions, I sound more 5-ish.

Recently, however... I spoke to someone about tri-type theories. We basically determined what my type in each triad was... the results were interesting.

Head: 5w6
Heart: 4w5
Gut: 9w1

The dominant energy is the 4w5, but the others are strong as well.

They dismissed 1 for me, because I'm rarely active in my external environment, and am often unmotivated.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I found these page to be really helpful in determining my type:
http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/socstyle.html
http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/harmonics.html
http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/ObjectRelns.html

If you can define two of three (social style, harmonic, object relation), you'll have your type.

Okay, I'm positive that my social style is withdrawing...

And I can't decide precisely on my Harmonics or Object relations, but I know that I'm NOT either of the ones that includes 9. So that makes it 4 or 5... once again.

Okay, maybe I'll just go for 4w5, SP/SO, for the single type. I was becoming pretty convinced that was my dominant type within the tri-type, anyway.

Sunny Ghost

Considering that both 4 and 1 are high, you may just be a healthier 4 than most. I believe 4's integrate, or look like 1's when healthy.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Considering that both 4 and 1 are high, you may just be a healthier 4 than most. I believe 4's integrate, or look like 1's when healthy.

That could be true... although it might just be the case that I admire 1's, and wish I could be more like them. Which would make sense if that were my direction of integration.

B

brainheart

Actually, between those two descriptions, I sound more 5-ish.

Recently, however... I spoke to someone about tri-type theories. We basically determined what my type in each triad was... the results were interesting.

Head: 5w6
Heart: 4w5
Gut: 9w1

The dominant energy is the 4w5, but the others are strong as well.

They dismissed 1 for me, because I'm rarely active in my external environment, and am often unmotivated.

Fair enough. Maybe you don't seem all that four-ish due to being sp/so. I've read that is the most 1/5- looking type of four.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Without reading anything you strike me as a 1w2.

David468

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Almost invariably, the only type that polls other's to determine their type is the 6. Types 6 and 9 have the most difficulty determining their type due to the very nature of the defense structure for each type which is doubt. The 9 has suppressed out of awareness their preferences and the 6 doubt and desire to not get in trouble and to be evasive makes it hard for them to self type. I recommend our Enneagram Tests at http://www.Enneagram.net/Tests they are specifically designed to capture 6s and 9s. Also, our Enneastyle Questionnaire, which you answer in your own words, is high accurate, however, it needs to be interpreted for lexicon patterns by us. We usually can get back on this in 48 hours.