• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can't figure out my ennegram type

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I get different types at different tests on different websites, or even at the same test taken after a while.
I get different ennegram types depending on my current activities and feelings.

Up until now I've got the following results:

7w6
3w4
6w7
9 ?!

Can the ennegram be taken seriously if you get different results?! Shouldn't a so called type be by definition be constant?

I don't even know why I am starting this thread...since whatever answer I will get will not change much inside of me.

And by admitting that you are for instance 'type 6', which is kind of fearful and anxious, wouldn't you label yourself as being fearful and anxious, not allowing yourself to accept other stuff as being 'normal behavior' since it doesn't fit in the ennegram description? I mean it must cross your mind at some point. If these things fit. Of course type 6 isn't only fear doubt and anxiety, but still.

Same as E/I. Let's assume you'll say to yourself you're introverted, and it's OK, wouldn't you start to act accordingly to your so called preference. Let's also assume that you are actually extraverted, but thinking you are introverted, and will act introverted accordingly to your type. Power of the sticker.

That being said I think my ennegram type is 6w7...out of all those. But tomorrow I may think something else, change everything completely, and of course, it does not matter in the end I'll stay the same... I'm just saying...I pretty much doubt everything.

Is there a point in even thinking about this ?!

B

brainheart

Seems like you have a lot of the interior mental chatter sixes are known for, not to mention skepticism regarding systems. But what do I know?

It's all about inner motivation. That's what you should pay attention to, not descriptions of the personality or what your test results are. I typically test five probably because I 'seem' five, but my motivations are so four it's disgusting.

VagrantFarce

Can the ennegram be taken seriously if you get different results?! Shouldn't a so called type be by definition be constant?

It's tough to identify your own type because you don't have an objective view of yourself, and so personality tests are going to be skewed by your own sub-conscious. The only way to really be sure of your type is to take stock of yourself and try to identify the overriding patterns. That's all these personality typologies are - patterns identified over a certain period of time.

And by admitting that you are for instance 'type 6', which is kind of fearful and anxious, wouldn't you label yourself as being fearful and anxious, not allowing yourself to accept other stuff as being 'normal behavior' since it doesn't fit in the ennegram description? I mean it must cross your mind at some point. If these things fit. Of course type 6 isn't only fear doubt and anxiety, but still.

Same as E/I. Let's assume you'll say to yourself you're introverted, and it's OK, wouldn't you start to act accordingly to your so called preference. Let's also assume that you are actually extraverted, but thinking you are introverted, and will act introverted accordingly to your type. Power of the sticker.

That being said I think my ennegram type is 6w7...out of all those. But tomorrow I may think something else, change everything completely, and of course, it does not matter in the end I'll stay the same... I'm just saying...I pretty much doubt everything.

Is there a point in even thinking about this ?!

We're not locked into a particular way of being, no matter what some silly automated test might arbitrarily decide about us. You can decide for yourself who you want to be, and that can be anything. You don't have to listen to any of this.

Do you ever wonder why you do? I bet you'll gain more insight about yourself from that thought than anything a personality test might give you.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know it's just weird ? !
I was watching a youtube video and this woman referred to herself as : Us, the sixes...or something similar
Furthermore she rationalized her anxiety and lack of trust in other people simply by saying I'm a six. So having this argument, what are the odds of her actually trying to change and fight her lack of trust in others? She also said I usually question other people's motives. Who does that "usually" ?

Isn't she trapped in the way she has let something (outside of her) define her?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess it doesn't matter. But I'd appreciate any opinions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
the enneagram makes me uncomfortable. i assume that this is because i have not found my place in it - i have this idea that maybe one day i will suddenly realize what number, wing, tritype and stacking i am and everything will "click" - much as it did with the MBTI, upon a couple members pointing out that [i was an ENFP, duh]. :laugh:

the difference that i don't like between the MBTI and enneagram is that with the MBTI, i chose these tendencies - i think like a Ne dom ; i judge like a Fi aux - and then i sort of get to determine for myself how that impacts me. as it happens, i feel similar to a lot of ENFPs about a lot of things, but the MBTI doesn't entail so many restrictions. like, here's my problem with the enneagram -

1 - rigid, uncompromising, serious, active, organized, dutiful, honest (fixation - on being corrupt) instinctual - anger
2 - helpful, warm, manipulative, inviting, caring, generous, needy (fixation - on being unwanted) emotional - sadness
3 - driven, ambitious, outgoing, charismatic, narcissistic, successful, image-aware (fixation - on being worthless) emotional - sadness
4 - creative, introspective, authentic, melancholy, individual, aristocratic, aesthetic (fixation - on being flawed) emotional - sadness
5 - observant, logical, critical, intellectual, withrdrawn, restrained, cerebral (fixation - on being incompetent) intellectual - anxiety
6 - responsible, aware, suspicious, courageous, defensive, protective, challenging (fixation - on being abandoned) intellectual - anxiety
7 - enthusiastic, scattered, spontaneous, flighty, optimistic, distracted, curious (fixation - on being deprived) intellectual - anxiety
8 - decisive, powerful, direct, assertive, confident, confrontational, aggressive (fixation - on being powerless) instinctual - anger
9 - content, accepting, steady, trusting, complacent, escapist, grounded (fixation - on being lost) instinctual - anger

okay. so. that's a lot to deal with. a lot a lot. the MBTI is so much easier for me because it deals with dichotomies. are you more thinking or feeling? F. do you apply that internally or externally? i. are you more intuitive or sensing? N. do you apply that internally or externally? e. awesome. are you more intuitive or feeling? N. great, there's your type.

the enneagram seems like it boxes so much in. looking at that list of adjectives (just compiled it off the top of my head), i'm a 7. i'm also mainly anxiety-driven, yes. but core fixation, of being deprived? curious. i've never really sensed that. i've read elsewhere that 7s seek to escape pain. well... i mean, yeah, i don't like pain, but that's kind of the whole point of pain. you're not supposed to like it. i think my drive is much more of a 3 or 5 drive - fear of worthlessness and incompetence. okay, so what if i'm not a 7? maybe i'm a 3. but no way - i don't look at all like a 3. i'm way too lazy. can't block out emotions worth shit either. 5? no. i'm emotional and engaging. i'm not much one for watching on the sidelines. 4? close, i guess, but still no. i have no sense of being any more flawed or any more special than everyone else.

to me, all these things don't line up. i relate to a lot of problems on that list because i think at a core level all of those fears and fixations are essentially the same. we all want to be good/whole/happy/safe.

guesswho said:
I get different ennegram types depending on my current activities and feelings.

yes, exactly. my feelings toward type change with how i'm feeling. are you the type you feel the most, or the one you feel the most intensely? supposedly the type we are is the type we are at the core of our limbic "onion."

hah. i don't know. guesswho maybe we're both 7w6s :laugh:

Sunny Ghost

I doubt you're a 7 or a 9.

Don't know as much about 6's... maybe you're a 5w4, a 6 of some sort or maybe even an 8 (aggressive type?)??

I say just read about each of them in depth and just go with what seems the most fitting. What are your motivations or fixations?

I think a lot of tests are quacks.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's all about inner motivation. That's what you should pay attention to, not descriptions of the personality or what your test results are. I typically test five probably because I 'seem' five, but my motivations are so four it's disgusting.

It's tough to identify your own type because you don't have an objective view of yourself, and so personality tests are going to be skewed by your own sub-conscious. The only way to really be sure of your type is to take stock of yourself and try to identify the overriding patterns. That's all these personality typologies are - patterns identified over a certain period of time.

I haven't figured out the Enneagram quite yet either but brainheart and VagrantFarce seem to have it right. My tests always say 8 but 3 is often close behind. The problem I have is that I see aspects of myself in several of the types (1, 8, 3, 5 for example), which I suppose is worthwhile knowledge in and of itself. The challenge it seems is to pick one type that seems to be the most dominant. I don't know how someone can judge such things based on surface characteristics - at least that's what I'm thinking right now. If that's right, then this is something that you really have to figure out for yourself in the way VF and BH have suggested.

An interesting quote from Helen Palmer, The Enneagram:

"The reason for discovering your own type is so you can build a working relationship with yourself. You can count on the experience of your similars to guide you, and you can discover the conditions that will make you thrive rather than continue to play out neurotic trends. The most important reason to study type isn't so you can learn to spot other people's character traits, it's so you can lessen your own human suffering."

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
6 (fixation - on being abandoned) intellectual - anxiety
7 (fixation - on being deprived) intellectual - anxiety
There it is.

guesswho maybe we're both 7w6s :laugh:

Yes we are. Most ENTPs and ENFPs are.
Ne=7 (most of the time) plus the annoying 6, who is supposed to calm the 7 down.

Don't know as much about 6's... maybe you're a 5w4, a 6 of some sort or maybe even an 8 (aggressive type?)??

Nah...INTPs and INTJs are 5. And I'm far from being INTP or INTJ...I'm not even slightly detached. Tests are indeed quacks.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sixes aren't just fearful and anxious, that's just their weakness (like Fours, for example share the weaknesses of envy, feeling different or defective, and sometimes even being elitist) ...Sixes are also loyal and prepared, they've got a strong relationship to authority whether it's adherence or rebellion, and they like security. I know, because I'm always either 4w3 or 6w7, two types easily confused.

I think Sevens are the most wild and carefree type, they epitomize the stereotypical flaky Ne dom, like you said. It was easy for me to rule out Seven because I tend to relate to E7 ENFPs the least, I think they are more extroverted and have a lighter touch, and I ruled out Three because I'm not quite that fixated on success or impressing others, though it is my wing.

I don't know if this helps you at all.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
P.S. I doubt very, very seriously that you would be a Nine. You can probably drop that right now.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
angel-devil-1.jpg

I think this is a good representation : ))

P.S. I doubt very, very seriously that you would be a Nine. You can probably drop that right now.

I know I'm not a nine, I was just surprised I got that result. I think most of us are a bit of 3 or 4 types.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There it is.

Yes we are. Most ENTPs and ENFPs are.
Ne=7 (most of the time) plus the annoying 6, who is supposed to calm the 7 down.

Nah...INTPs and INTJs are 5. And I'm far from being INTP or INTJ...I'm not even slightly detached. Tests are indeed quacks.

I don't think it works that way.

enneagrammbticorrelation.jpg

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The almighty and always even-tempered and objective entp.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ooh, yeah, the chart's cool. though does it not support what guesswho said? Ne types have 7 as a most common; INTJ and INTP both have 5 as a most common. i'm surprised to see 2 as an ENFP most common. interesting. 2 always seemed more Fe-like to me, but evidently both ENFP and ESFP relate.

i also like this site -
http://tap3x.net/ENSEMBLE/typeframe.html
though it really hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w6 are not calmer tan 7w8, actually, it may even be the contrary. 7w6 are more gracious and eye-catching than 7w8, I find them more sweet and sociable, and more prone to be "party animal". Self-pres 7w8, especially, are globally more reserved and calmer than self-pres 7w6 I think. I think 7w6 are as much extrovert than 7w8, but 7w6 release more acompliant extroversion and 7w8 release a more agressive extroversion.

The stress point of the 7w6 is more the 5: they feel the need to be more analitycal, they doubt of their plan and need to withdrawn to be more adaptable, they become more selective and are afraid of commitments and invasion, but also to be alone.

The stress point of the 7w8 is more the 1: they are more prone to be bad tempered and impatient in stressfull situations. They want and need a total control of the situation and are likely to be perfectionistic and agressive, or even rigid.

The security point of the 7w6 is more the 1: they are more self-assured and allow them to more respoinsible and more mature. They believe in progressive ideals and/or futuristic visions, work hard for this. Are less "mental" and show their anger. Are more focused. The realm of hippie rebellion.

The security point of the 7w8 is more the 5: they allow them to be calmer and to be more focused on their personal and intellectual subjects. Need less to be assertive, are more in the idea "I'm strong and self-assured, I'm a free spirit and I don't need anybody. I'm independent and intelligent and I have a lot of fun".

So, actually, the calmer between the both wing could actually be the 7w8, if one is calmer than the other.

Last thing for those who believe 7w6 are "calmer", just forget that idea:
[youtube=I-ASbyfaSR0]Boxxy 7w6[/youtube]