• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SPs and Taking Risks

gromit

likes this
Dear fellow SPs (i.e. self-preservation people)... talk to me about taking risks. Is it difficult for you? What types of risks are hardest for you? Do you wish you took more risks? How do you get yourself to do it more?

Or anything else you feel like posting.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it depends on the type of risk :thinking:

physical risks? no problem :thumbup:

emotional risks? no thanks :thumbdown:

wolfy

awsm
Physical risks that involve the risk of high impact sudden death are pretty hard. Emotional risks like being laughed at and having tomatoes thrown at you are relatively easy. Physical risks that involve the risk of bruising and so forth are easy.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have no problem taking emotional risks. I do have a problem with taking physical risks. The idea of riding a motorcycle off a huge cliff does not excite me in the least. However, the idea that I could be emotionally vulnerable makes me feel like a stronger person.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Yes, it is difficult to me. Emotional risks are the hardest. I fear rejection and I think that has inhibited me from doing lots of things than I would have like:doh:. Something I'm trying to work on. I usually try to tell myself that if I don't take the risk, the chance of it not happening is 100%. It would be better for me to try with some chance of failing. That and I just put up a huge barrier before entering something risky, especially emotional ones. I hope this will get better with age.:dry:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have no problem taking emotional risks. I do have a problem with taking physical risks. The idea of riding a motorcycle off a huge cliff does not excite me in the least. However, the idea that I could be emotionally vulnerable makes me feel like a stronger person.

Did I ever mention you are not an ISFP?

Because you're not.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Because you're not.

On what grounds is she not ISFP?

I've never seen you give a good explanation for your opinion of anyone's type, including my own.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
On what grounds is she not ISFP?

I've never seen you give a good explanation for your opinion of anyone's type, including my own.

A free gift doesn't always come with an instruction manual.

Sorry.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
All of life is a risk. You can choose to risk only a little, but it's still a risk. Even if you're some spoiled rich dude living in a mansion, you could still get sniped by ninjas who used stealth to get past your security system and your aging French butler.

So, risk isn't difficult, it's just life. The stakes can be raised, though. That's when the REAL fun begins!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A free gift doesn't always come with an instruction manual.

Sorry.

Oh, you mean you don't know why you decide people are certain types, you just go with a hunch?

That's not very solid, and it doesn't make people very inclined to believe you...especially when other people might know that person better than you do.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
All of life is a risk. You can choose to risk only a little, but it's still a risk. Even if you're some spoiled rich dude living in a mansion, you could still get sniped by ninjas who used stealth to get past your security system and your aging French butler.

You're thinking of chefs.

Butlers are English.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Because you're not.

Edgars talking about my type? Wow, I must be pretty darn awesome for someone of such high status to not only remember, but try to convince me I'm another type! It must be my lucky day.

LEGERdeMAIN

I enjoy taking risks of all kinds. Adrenaline is the life force that drives me, when there's no excitement I turn into a turtling eskimo. I think I've taken more "emotional" risks in the past few years but only because I'm too old to start bar fights with jarheads and sink boats during nor'easters, etc, etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
hahah am I really the only person who noticed this is the enneagram section and "sp" means SELF PRESERVATION not SENSING PERCEIVER.

:laugh:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Edgars talking about my type? Wow, I must be pretty darn awesome for someone of such high status to not only remember, but try to convince me I'm another type! It must be my lucky day.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hahah am I really the only person who noticed this is the enneagram section and "sp" means SELF PRESERVATION not SENSING PERCEIVER.

:laugh:

I just figured that out. :doh:. Time to exit the thread :whistling:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
any sort of risks that involves physical pain or injury is extremely unsettling to me. I'm neither a strong guy, a good fighter, nor an aggressive person, but I am extremely merciless when someone physically hurts me. if punched, I will blugeon. if blugeoned, I will stab. if stabbed, I will shoot.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nothing RISKED, Nothing GAINED.
This principle applies to physical risk, emotional risk, and financial risk. It is a universal aspect of learning to deal with all risks in life.
The big question lies in how to handle making decisions on a myriad of risks, of a multitude of magnitudes.

Well, Dr. Halla is here to help you.
Here's how I do it, for any risk I am considering undertaking:

(1) Identify the risk and why I am considering taking it. (e.g. "I want to get laid", or "I need to make some cash", or "It sure as hell would be fun to set that old pile of trash on fire.")
(2) Identify all probable outcomes of me engaging in the risk. Let's create three outcomes for any of the examples above:
.....(a) WORST CASE SCENARIO
.....(b) Middle Of the Road, aka "Whatever"
.....(c) VICTORY and GREATNESS!!!! :pumpyouup:

(3) Evaluate the WORST CASE SCENARIO, and determine the PROBABILITY that it will occur over the other options to the best of your ability.
(4) THE BIG QUESTION: Are you willing to accept the wors case scenario if it occurs? Can you live with it?
.....(a) If YES, then GO FOR IT!!! :rock:
.....(b) If NO, then get these stupid thoughts out of your head and think of some other stuff.

I hope this helps.
I use this process several times everyday, and have applied it to a number of scenarios ranging from miniscule to magananmous risk.
Having a process allows you to make good decision without getting muddled ip in details.

HAVE A PLAN,

then

EXECUTE THE PLAN.

Finally, Bob Gates, former Secretary of Defense said to a reporter when asked "What have you learned in your career?" and Mr. Gates said "You just have to make the best decisions that you can with the information you have available at the time. You can't get hung up in analysis paralysis."

That's how the real movers and shakers roll...
I agree with him wholeheartedly.

:solidarity:

-Dr. Halla