• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SPs and Taking Risks

gromit

likes this
As always, thanks for the great perspective, Halla! :D

Just curious what's common. Self-preserving traits might hurt more than they help.

Can you elaborate on this?

Yes, it is difficult to me. Emotional risks are the hardest. I fear rejection and I think that has inhibited me from doing lots of things than I would have like:doh:. Something I'm trying to work on. I usually try to tell myself that if I don't take the risk, the chance of it not happening is 100%. It would be better for me to try with some chance of failing. That and I just put up a huge barrier before entering something risky, especially emotional ones. I hope this will get better with age.:dry:

I agree, this is really difficult. Something I am trying to get better at too!

Edgars talking about my type? Wow, I must be pretty darn awesome for someone of such high status to not only remember, but try to convince me I'm another type! It must be my lucky day.

:laugh:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hahah am I really the only person who noticed this is the enneagram section and "sp" means SELF PRESERVATION not SENSING PERCEIVER.

:laugh:

Which is why I wondered why are all these SPs posting here. :yim_rolling_on_the_

wolfy

awsm
I didn't notice that. I am sp though, luckily enough. My biggest fear is choking on a chicken bone in a crowded restaurant. Every chicken meal a risk.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had moments where I push myself to do something outside of my comfort level. But I'm not the type to just jump into the deep end... has to be in baby steps. When it comes to relationships, even though it may be totally against my self-protective/self-preserving nature, I find it is best to let a person know that you have feelings for them, rather than not saying anything at all. If the person doesn't like you in that way, then at least you won't be kicking yourself for not acting upon it. When you find the gumption to do something you dream of, even if you may not reach the moon, at least you will fall among the stars. I wouldn't say I'm the type that will do things that will cause me physical harm, but when it comes to an emotional or intellectual challenges, I'd rather take a risk to achieve my vision of the future, at the risk of being popular/trendy/ part of the in-crowd. Would like to achieve as many of my dreams as I can before I kick the bucket. Hell, even breathing and taking a step outside of your house is a risk... and trying to survive in this big world can be crazy, but you've got to keep going mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which is why I wondered why are all these SPs posting here. :yim_rolling_on_the_

It's just that we get so little attention, we have to jump at the chance. :blush:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really take many risks at all. I should take more, though. no advice from me.

I'm not sure if I'm sp but from the little I know about it, it seems likely.

the most scary are social risks. risk of drawing attention/ridicule.

KiwiBurst

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
psychiatrist: I would like to see you take more risks... o_O
me: ...Nah, I'm good. xD

I didn't apply to any colleges because I was afraid of not getting accepted. I'm going to a junior college next year...
I decided not to follow through with my suicide plan because on wikipedia, it said I only had a 98% chance of dying with my chosen method.
I used to spend an hour walking to summer camp because I didn't want to risk being late on a bus. (Walking always takes an hour. Bus takes unpredictable amounts of time)
My friend insisted that he help me kill a mosquito. I insisted the mosquito had west nile virus so I tackled my friend out of the way so I could "save his life". Can't risk my friend's LIFE! I think I was 7 at the time.
Some random person on Yahoo Answers said they were going to end their life. I called 911.

B

brainheart

I used to take lots of risks, but I think that it had to do with the sp going to sx more than anything. Now that I have a stable, secure life, I am very risk-averse.