• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between a counterphobic 6 and a 1 on a moral crusade?

Usehername

On a mission
Part 1: Generally speaking, what's the difference between a counterphobic 6 and a 1 on a moral crusade?

Part 2: I can't figure out my enneagram type. This is an open invite to use evidence (including the less flattering moments) from my forum interaction to help me figure it out.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There are quite a few differences actually. I can see where there might be a mix-up however. Especially with Prussian sixes, they are more serious and oneish. However, there are some key differences:

First, look at the core of each type. 1's are in the gut/instinctual center and 6's are in the head/thinking center. That means 1's have issues with anger and 6's have issues with anxiety/fear. That manifests itself in their respective outlooks on life: Ones are self-confident, controlled and independent. Sixes have no faith in themselves, they are reactive and dependent. Ones genuinely believe in their own power, they feel the strength of their convictions in their gut. However, like the other centers of each triad 3's and 9's, the six is out of touch with the other two triads, creating some sort of uncertainty. Sixes are isolated from their feeling/instinctual centers, so they lose their sense of inner knowing. Without these anchors, their minds run wild with anxiety.

People think that because counterphobics often project strength and certainty they aren't like your typical fearful, dependent sixes. But ultimately, the strength and certainty is a mask, a defense mechanism to overcome the fears inside. The counterphobic is constantly scanning for threats and bogeyman's so they can deal with and therefore quell their anxieties. But their assertive fronts are very easy to mistake for genuine internal certainty, which is why many counterphobic sixes play eights in movies.

Another distinctions between the two types are that sixes either are "at the feet or the throat" of authority, meanwhile the ones usually become the authority. Sixes hate to be the authority (The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut), even the "strong" counterphobics. A counterphobic would always be wondering if a mutiny was afoot, and probably launching preemptive measures against these real or imagined mutineers. Paranoid, self-defeating tyrants is the picture of the unhealthy six leading. Ones instead think: I am the only one who knows how to do it properly/works hard enough/sufficiently competent/whatever, I guess I have to lead these people to get the job done properly. When they are unhealthy, they are overly rigid, critical and cold. Contrast Robespierre's leadership (six) with Nurse Ratched's (one).

Furthermore, when neither is the authority, ones are ultimately compliant and subscribe to the "right" ways of doing things. Counterphobic sixes are big-time rebels. Even when ones rebel, it looks much different. Imagine the difference between Gandhi (one) and Che Guevara (counterphobic six).

That is all I can think of right now, but I am sure there are more differences.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I was going to say, body count.. But this ^^^^^ post is pretty good too ;)

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I think Forever_Jung has a good take on this issue. BTW: I'm a 1w2 and also an INFJ though I used to test INTJ when I was younger. From what I understand, INTJ are most commonly Fives followed by Type Ones. Sixes are less common but not an impossibility.

First, look at the core of each type. 1's are in the gut/instinctual center and 6's are in the head/thinking center. That means 1's have issues with anger and 6's have issues with anxiety/fear. That manifests itself in their respective outlooks on life: Ones are self-confident, controlled and independent. Sixes have no faith in themselves, they are reactive and dependent. Ones genuinely believe in their own power, they feel the strength of their convictions in their gut. However, like the other centers of each triad 3's and 9's, the six is out of touch with the other two triads, creating some sort of uncertainty. Sixes are isolated from their feeling/instinctual centers, so they lose their sense of inner knowing. Without these anchors, their minds run wild with anxiety.

Good description ^ :). I would add: Sixes are constantly scanning the environment for impending danger. They're constantly asking "what if?" "Oh no! I left the dog outside. What if it rains?" "What if I miss the bus. I'll be late for the presentation" "What if there's an earthquake in this room. Where's the nearest exit". Sixes are constantly in their heads worrying about the possible worst outcomes and coming up with contingencies. Sixes always feel a need to be prepared and have a plan for this reason. Ones also like to have a plan and be prepared but it's because they want to be organized, do things perfectly (without ANY mistakes) and like to feel competent and in control.

People think that because counterphobics often project strength and certainty they aren't like your typical fearful, dependent sixes. But ultimately, the strength and certainty is a mask, a defense mechanism to overcome the fears inside. The counterphobic is constantly scanning for threats and bogeyman's so they can deal with and therefore quell their anxieties. But their assertive fronts are very easy to mistake for genuine internal certainty, which is why many counterphobic sixes play eights in movies.

Yeah. I always see Counterphobic Sixes (although I do really think I understand them well) as Wannabe Eights. Behind all the bravado and chest pounding is a frightened person not quite as brave as they're pretending to be (think Cowardly Lion). Counterphobic Sixes can comes across as very Eightish. That's a clue. I actually think they're the hardest to understand and identify.

Another distinctions between the two types are that sixes either are "at the feet or the throat" of authority, meanwhile the ones usually become the authority. Sixes hate to be the authority (The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut), even the "strong" counterphobics. A counterphobic would always be wondering if a mutiny was afoot, and probably launching preemptive measures against these real or imagined mutineers. Paranoid, self-defeating tyrants is the picture of the unhealthy six leading. Ones instead think: I am the only one who knows how to do it properly/works hard enough/sufficiently competent/whatever, I guess I have to lead these people to get the job done properly. When they are unhealthy, they are overly rigid, critical and cold. Contrast Robespierre's leadership (six) with Nurse Ratched's (one).

This is good too (the One who knows what's good and good for you!) Another thing is that Sixes have a love/hate relationship to authority whereas Ones don't really care (except they have no respect/tolerance for those who are incompetent or lack integrity). Sixes want the approval of authority figures who matter to them -- be it a coach, teacher, boss, parent. Their performance will also be a reflection of their perceived approval of the authority figure. For example, my Six son loved his soccer coach. He was consistently getting praise and approval from this coach. He thrived under this coaching. It boosted his CONFIDENCE which is something Sixes lack so they look outside themselves rather than within. His coach left midseason and my son was devastated when he got a new coach who did not pay attention to him. No longer was he receiving the praise that motivated him to improve his game and give it his all. He no longer was motivated to play soccer, his performace went downhill and he ended up quitting. In my mind, the second coach had not done anything wrong. However, because my son was no longer getting praise he no longer APPROVED of his soccer coach. He hated him. That's why I say it's LOVE/HATE with a Six and authority figures.

Furthermore, when neither is the authority, ones are ultimately compliant and subscribe to the "right" ways of doing things.

No. It depends on the authority figure. Ones are NOT ultimately compliant. They may subscribe to the "right" way (that is, the ONE way) of doing things. But if the authority doesn't do things the RIGHT way there could be hell to pay because...well... it's not right, it's not fair, it's not just. Ones will leave their jobs, sabotage the authority figure, go over their head or take over if they suspect things aren't on the up and up. Ones can be very revengeful and angry if they're in an environment which lacks integrity or fairness. If the authority figure is not acting unscrupulously and is merely incompetent, the One will resign their position or do what they can to get the person fired. Compliant is not a GOOD word to use with Ones.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am such a six.

Usehername

On a mission
Thanks for your thoughtful input!

Good to read.

I see myself, both strengths and weaknesses, in both. I lean more to one, but only slightly and not with anything near the certainty I felt with INTJ.