• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram growth

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Okay so for every enneagram type there is a direction of integration (growth) and disintegration (stress). But where do the wings fit in?

Take me for example - I'm 8w7.

Now, the 8's direction of integration is 2, meaning in theory that we are our best when we behave more like healthy 2s, "open-hearted and caring". Our direction of disintegration is 5, meaning that we are our worse when we behave more like unhealthy 5s, "secretive and fearful". I'm basing myself in what is written here - Enneagram Institute: Enneagram Testing & Training.

The 7's direction of integration is 5 and disintegration is 1.

So what does that entail for an 8w7. As an 8, by moving more towards 2 and moving away from 5 I become healthier, but at the same I'm supposed to move TOWARDS 5, based on my 7 wing.

Is the system crap, or is there something I'm missing or misinterpreting? And what exactly would in theory (and using me, 8w7 as an example) be one's best way to grow taking one's wing into consideration as well?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is indeed an interesting observation. I always figured that you could integrate with the wings too.

Perhaps you just simply take on the positive traits of the 5 and the 2 when you're integrating? And when you're disintegrating you take on the NEGATIVE traits of the 5 and the 1. They are in the same realm, but are different things.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's a possibility yeah. But I wonder what the guys who created this system would have to say about it...

Any more thoughts?

Chloe

wing system is mostly crap, yeah. integration/disintegration system is very good... actually all theory behind enneagram is based on integration and disintegration.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Perhaps you just simply take on the positive traits of the 5 and the 2 when you're integrating? And when you're disintegrating you take on the NEGATIVE traits of the 5 and the 1. They are in the same realm, but are different things.

I've actually read this in an enneagram book. It was a pretty crappy enneagram book, but they did support that theory.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So I have to develop Ti and Fe when I'm NeFiTeSi? That makes a lot of sense :doh: