• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't buy the Enneagram Wings theory

Chloe

Maybe I was an angsty 5w4 teenager rather than an angsty 4w5 one. :tongue:

like i edited

NTP+teenager = 5w4

... or you could just add 5w4 in your signature, to your fourtype.. i guess there's place for 3 more letters.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
like i edited

NTP+teenager = 5w4

... or you could just add 5w4 in your signature, to your fourtype.. i guess there's place for 3 more letters.
:blink: fourtypes exist?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I meant you should invent them :hug:
:laugh: maybe, but then I'd need some way to fit them into the system. ;) The theory on tritypes is that each one governs one of your personality centers (head, heart, gut). This new type would be called quadratype though (yes, I'm letting Ti dickery get in the way :tongue:).

I think my head type could be 5w4 though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm confused about the whole counterphobic 6 thing...i always get 7w8 and never 7w6...i know i've said this several times now but does a counterphobic 6 look eigthish and wth does that even mean?

Chloe

:laugh: maybe, but then I'd need some way to fit them into the system. ;) The theory on tritypes is that each one governs one of your personality centers (head, heart, gut). This new type would be called quadratype though (yes, I'm letting Ti dickery get in the way :tongue:).

I think my head type could be 5w4 though.

like all that in your signature makes so much sense... lol.. doubt that adding fourtype would make a big difference. :yim_rolling_on_the_ haha :blush::blush: JK

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're not alone... I don't buy into the Enneagram PERIOD because it has absolutely no explanatory value or useful insights into people. Others see it's relevance but when I read the Enneagram descriptions all I find myself saying is "so what? how does it help me understand THAT person?". Maybe I really ought to give it a fresh new look, but to me I find it about as useful as knowing a person's favorite color - it's not telling you a whole lot.

I've found the wings and the variants more helpful.
Also, the directions of integration and disintegration are helpful.

The problem to me is that Ennegram is just a collection of nine archetypes without any clear-cut reason of why those archetypes were chosen. There is no reason to think they are comprehensive or exclusive. So if you happen to fit squarely into one of those archetypes, great -- some of the theory might be personally helpful to you. But if you don't? Then there's not much to get out of it.

Random Ness

does a counterphobic 6 look eigthish and wth does that even mean?

This help?

Enneagram Institute said:
link

Sixes who are more counterphobic are much more likely to question, or even rebel against authorities. They are quicker to confront others and are more prone to suspiciousness than phobic Sixes. They are more determined to be independent and resist turning to others for support. In this respect, counterphobic Sixes can resemble Eights. They try to repress their anxiety through action, and in the average Levels, can react strongly and defensively if questioned. They want to know where others stand and may aggressively provoke a response from them to find out. Counterphobic Sixes are fearful that others will try to trick them or take advantage of them. When conflicts arise, they can be highly confrontational and even belligerent. Nevertheless, beneath their bluster, they are just as fearful and anxious as phobic Sixes, but their actions are a reaction to the anxiety rather than a direct expression of it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On a personal level, 8 resonates but neither 8w7 or 8w9 seems right. I seem to be in the middle. Now, if you were looking at some of the other numbers as secondary defense mechanisms, it might make more sense.

With enneagram I've found people generally either resinate with the traditional type and wing theory, or they resinate with the tri-type theory. Have you ever looked into tri-type?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
The arrows do indeed seem to go in different directions in different pictures. I'm sure this is pretty damn basic for some of you.

myers_briggs_enneagram.jpg
Enneagram.gif

OMG!! That Ennea-MBTI relation chart is horrible. :laugh:
Where did you find that?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What's wrong with it? :huh:

For example.. Fe-Ni correlate to Type 6.. so why are INFJs only listed as 4s?
ENFJ as well ..
I am positive ALL MBTI types can correlate to Type 6. INTJ can also be Type 6's not just type 5 five. etc etc
I don't know.. come on Aleski.. It just feels very amateur and subjective.

Which is why I am asking where he found it.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think those are just the top four correlations. And, I think almost all INFJs who identify as typed 4 are mistyped as INFJ -- most likely they are emotionally charged INTJs (especially considering how suspiciously absent the INTJ 4 correlation is from statistical analyses).

I don't pay much attention to it. Most statistical type analyses are fucked-up in some way or another.