• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't buy the Enneagram Wings theory

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typology in general is deeply rooted in mysticism, which is why I don't take it seriously. I just use it for the lulz.

Chloe

For example.. Fe-Ni correlate to Type 6.. so why are INFJs only listed as 4s?
ENFJ as well ..
I am positive ALL MBTI types can correlate to Type 6. INTJ can also be Type 6's not just type 5 five. etc etc
I don't know.. come on Aleski.. It just feels very amateur and subjective.

Which is why I am asking where he found it.

the chart is when you google pictures just write "enneagram" and it's among first pics... somewhere.

i agree it's wrong a lot. ... for example ENFP 2 is not at all that common... !

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see why that would be the case... ENFPs are generally all sugar and rainbows, and 2 is the most extroverted of heart types.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For example.. Fe-Ni correlate to Type 6.. so why are INFJs only listed as 4s?
ENFJ as well ..
I am positive ALL MBTI types can correlate to Type 6. INTJ can also be Type 6's not just type 5 five. etc etc
I don't know.. come on Aleski.. It just feels very amateur and subjective.

Which is why I am asking where he found it.

It's here. I didn't think the type matches to the numbers made complete sense. I picked the picture because of the direction of the arrows.

Myers-Briggs, XYZ Leadership and Team Roles by David M. Boje, Ph.D.

G

garbage

For example, 5w4.. how would that person look like?

For that matter, what about 3w4 and 4w3? Four is portrayed introverted and focused on integrity, where three is portrayed as extroverted and overly focused on image to the expense of integrity.

I suppose that explains all the "3w4 are bipolar" threads

In any case, if the wings are valid, how do they affect the primary type? Which traits of the wing type--motivations, behaviors, healthy and unhealthy behavior, integration/disintegration points, triads--affect the person overall and why? When there's a contradiction, does the primary type simply supersede the wing?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like how the wings can seem to "contradict" each other. The enneagram deals with deeply rooted emotional motivations that form an identity you use to deal with them. Explaining something that is inherently irrational in some flat, linear system (as some have tried :cough: ) seems insensible. That spiderweb-like diagram is an apropos symbol of how complicated navigating the world of emotions can be. How do you detangle yourself from your ego? How do you make your way back to your true self? To make it more complicated, you have a wing bringing in other motivations, sometimes conflicting ones, which is extremely common to being human. Really, no one else here has felt conflicting emotions? The emotional world is not neat & tidy & often does not make sense. Making sense of emotion is where cognition comes into play, and it's that awareness which allows you to expand your identity to develop other motivations which make you healthier and well-rounded.

IDK, maybe being a Feeler, it's easy for me to see how a philosophical, symbolic, spiral take on emotional motivations and identity makes much more sense than boiling it down to some sterile, logical framework which seems to entirely miss the core issue.

And I'd like to add more useful content, but I can't remember everything from the enneagram books I've read. They explain in clearer detail how the diagram works (touched on here already), its origins, why the numbers are used & in the order they are in, etc. So my suggestion is to hit up your local library and check out some enneagram books.

This is a brief explanation of what I am getting at though (brackets added by me):

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp#type said:
The inclusion of each type in its Center [triad] is not arbitrary. Each type results from a particular relationship with a cluster of issues that characterize that Center. Most simply, these issues revolve around a powerful, largely unconscious emotional response to the loss of contact with the core of the self. In the Instinctive Center, the emotion is Anger or Rage. In the Feeling Center, the emotion is Shame, and in the Thinking Center, it is Anxiety or Dread. Of course, all nine types contain all three of these emotions, but in each Center, the personalities of the types are particularly affected by that Center's emotional theme.

No one is a pure personality type [OR one emotional motivation]: everyone is a unique mixture of his or her basic type and usually one of the two types adjacent to it on the circumference of the Enneagram. One of the two types adjacent to your basic type is called your wing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These are really good points

G

garbage

I like how the wings can seem to "contradict" each other. The enneagram deals with deeply rooted emotional motivations that form an identity you use to deal with them. Explaining something that is inherently irrational in some flat, linear system (as some have tried :cough: ) seems insensible.

whoah, yeah

If we're trying to break apart personalities into component pieces, logical contradictions need to be identified and eliminated.

But as a tool for self-improvement and broad-base overall representation, contradictions are completely fine, so long as they're not insanely glaring. In that realm, the contradictions don't need to be resolved and in fact allow the system to take human contradictions into account.

I like your description what Enneagram represents to you :yes:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Typology in general is deeply rooted in mysticism, which is why I don't take it seriously. I just use it for the lulz.

A wise man has spoken.

I actually am described very well as a 7w8 sx/so.

Especially if you look at the descriptions of a (I hate this word but I have to use it) "healthy" 7.

I am not at all accurately described by the 7w6 description, and not nearly as well by the 8w7 as by the 7w8.

So for me, it works just fine.
For others it might suck ass.

No system will ever describe everyone accurately, or even to everyone's personal satisfaction.

I'm not hatin' on highlander's OP, BTW, I'm just contributing my personal experience on this topic as I did alot of reading between the "wings" 6,7,and 8 and how they do/do not relate to me.

Snow Turtle

thing is that when you fight with E4 he starts to make drama, likes attention, and goes "poor me", its all about me.
when you fight with E5 he withdraws and wants you to leave him alone, doesnt want to share informations.

so how does 5w4 acts when fighting..? cant see that overlaping that easy.

It'd be internal drama wouldn't it?

I'm a 6w5 and feel that it captures me rather well. Both parts are appear to be quite fundamental to me. The 6 is the individual that is uncertainty, while the 5 fills in all the gaps just to make the world a little safer for me. :wubbie: