• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have a question...

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I surfed the net and looked around a little bit but couldn't ind any answers.

what's the so/sx/sp stuff? I have absolutely no idea what these letters mean or why they are often listed with Enneagram types. I understand the Enneagram to an extent, but not these sx/so/sp/blah blah blah stuff.

someone run a brief general description by me?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi there,

The 'sp,' 'sx' and 'so' stand for 'self-preservation,' 'sexual' (or intimate) and 'social.' These are referred to as instinctual variants (which should drag up some useful stuff on Google for further research.) The basic idea is that we, as humans have three primary instincts: to sustain earthly needs such as food, warmth, financial security and safety (self pres,) to belong to something bigger than ourselves, to fit in (social) and to have an intense connection with things and people. (sexual)

Everyone has all of these desires, but as individuals, we put more stock by certain ones more than others, hence they written beside your enneagram in order of preference. This is referred to as stacking, and you usually mention your first two strongest, so for example I relate to both 4w5 so/sx and 4w5 sp/sx if that's possible .

Check out:
the enneagram ...info from the underground

It should tell you all you need to know to begin with :)

PS: BlackCat also happens to have excellent Enneagram-based knowledge and a very kind disposition. He has posted a very comprehensive list of insightful resources in a sticky at the top of the Enneagram section here which you might appreciate.

Last edited:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hi there,

The 'sp,' 'sx' and 'so' stand for 'self-preservation,' 'sexual' (or intimate) and 'social.' These are referred to as instinctual variants (which should drag up some useful stuff on Google for further research.) The basic idea is that we, as humans have three primary instincts: to sustain earthly needs such as food, warmth, financial security and safety (self pres,) to belong to something bigger than ourselves, to fit in (social) and to have an intense connection with things and people. (sexual)

Everyone all of these desires, but as individuals, we put more stock by certain ones more than others, hence they written beside your enneagram in order of preference. This is referred to as stacking, and you usually mention your first two strongest, so for example I relate to both 4w5 so/sx and 4w5 sp/sx if that's possible .

Check out:
the enneagram ...info from the underground

It should tell you all you need to know to begin with :)

PS: BlackCat also happens to have excellent Enneagram-based knowledge and a very kind disposition. He has posted a very comprehensive list of insightful resources in a sticky at the top of the Enneagram section here which you might appreciate.

Wow, alright. that's very intriguing. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me.

And I will check out BC's thread...he's a genius.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I took the first Enneagram test I've taken in almost a year

7w8 so/sx

close to a 3w4 sx/so

I read today in some thread that 7w8s can be a lot like 4w3s. makes sense. Pretty sure it was BlackCat that said it.